Queens vs Morton - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Queens vs Morton

TONofmemories

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That formation looks far better suited to us. First half they had plenty of the ball, but we looked comfortable in our shape and were never really under a lot of pressure. Our goal came after a period where we started to look the more likely.

Second half we got battered for long spells; but still looked fairly solid.

Lyon didn’t look out of place, he got about and won the ball a fair bit. Their best spell was when he started to fade, towards the middle of the second half.

What a difference two up front makes to us, also.

I think that shape could a good option for us to utilise this season, it allows us to keep three in central midfield to get the best out of players like Millar and Tidser, and allows us to play two up front which should get more out of McHugh and Oliver. The worry is depth. If we are looking to play this system then we need more cover at centre-back. Kilday looks absolutely done, Waddell will probably be recalled by Dundee in January, Iredale has only played a handful of games at centre back (despite being signed as one) and McKeown could possibly tuck in there at a push. We will need to find at least one centre back in January, two if/when Waddell gets recalled. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Superb strike for the winner.

I thought it looked as if Gaston should have got to Dobbie's shot but overall I have more confidence in Gaston than in Scully.

We need a proper striker up front.  Oliver tries hard but he gets outmuscled easily.  Denny alongside McHugh seemed to look promising earlier in the season, giving some point to McHugh being on the pitch as he's not a lone striker type - but very good at what he did last night and against Falkirk and RC at home.

Ref was poor - a decent ref wouldn't have booked Lyon for that celebration of his first ever senior goal, although he might have booked about half the Ton support.

We need to get something sorted up front asap. Great to see McHugh get a couple, but Oliver is fast becoming a non-scoring striker, his goals to game ratio is shocking... no team can afford to carry that and expect to be up challenging.

I don't think Denny and McHugh is the answer either.... neither has much pace.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

We need to get something sorted up front asap. Great to see McHugh get a couple, but Oliver is fast becoming a non-scoring striker, his goals to game ratio is shocking... no team can afford to carry that and expect to be up challenging.

Step forward - Conor Bell :P

He's not a striker.

HTH

He's not a striker.

HTH

Oliver isn't a striker? Hmm... yeah, I'd agree with that

JJ thought he had 'two strikers' on the pitch last night though...

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Oliver off of Denny would work better. 

Oliver quite clearly isn't an out and out striker. His strengths are his link-up play. 

He's a striker, according to his manager too... meaning his main aim is to score goals. 

Bit of a shock result, but a very welcome one! Glad to see Gaston back in goal... just feel he is more of a calming influence that Scully. Something the defence definitely needs..

We're QoS the first team on your coupon last night? Be honest now.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Oliver isn't a striker? Hmm... yeah, I'd agree with that

JJ thought he had 'two strikers' on the pitch last night though...

He's a striker, according to his manager too... meaning his main aim is to score goals. 

Stick to rugby, champ.

How many initiation pints of pish did you have to down to get a membership card for the Wanderers?

There’s nothing I love more than Morton winning, but recently, the thought of how much our joy at such events gets right under the skin of Colin Darroch, G-g-g-gordon D-d-d-dyer and his g-g-g-groomer make them all the sweeter.

It could be worse, Colin- imagine your weans absolutely hated you AND Morton won? In fact, never mind :).

Made it to the game last night. Thought Reece had played well even before his goal. Lots of energy as well as pace.  I don't really like Tidser used in the holding role that Duffy used him in but he done the job defensively last night.

McHugh took his goal well with a neat header .

I felt Gaston was badly at fault for Dobbie's Daisy-cut effort, he was way too slow in going down and looked more like a tree being felled.

Despite Queens having most of the possession they didn't actually force many saves at all from Gaston.

Reece Lyons hit a fantastic goal and hopefully this will give him the confidence and belief to become a regular starter and force his way into the team.

Despite all this I'm still concerned about how easily teams get down the flanks when attacking us. There is definitely work to be done by JJ,

However this was an excellent 3 points to collect from a team that will trouble many others.

JB.

Power To The Powerless,

Strength Unto The Weak!

You know nothing about football.

Ehmm... a striker holds up the ball and brings others into play, but the absolute main role of a striker is to score goals.

If that is incorrect, then yeah... I know nothing about football. Don't know how many times I've heard the likes of Alan Shearer saying things like 'Strikers are measured on goals' - guess he knows nothing about being a striker either.

Oliver is a decent footballer, but has an awful scoring record. Let's say he's with Morton because he is absolutely mediocre.

Ehmm... a striker holds up the ball and brings others into play, but the absolute main role of a striker is to score goals.

If that is incorrect, then yeah... I know nothing about football. Don't know how many times I've heard the likes of Alan Shearer saying things like 'Strikers are measured on goals' - guess he knows nothing about being a striker either.

Oliver is a decent footballer, but has an awful scoring record. Let's say he's with Morton because he is absolutely mediocre.

Let's say you're talking nonsense.

Archived