Q&a With Warren Hawke - Page 43 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Q&a With Warren Hawke

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could argue that was still off the back of the awful things that happened just a few years prior.

It has significantly worsened. Look at the supports we take away now - awful.

Dunfermline went down and the fans rallied. 1k plus to most away games.

We just don't have that mentality. I fear it's too far gone

TIME FOR CHANGE!

The support is there. For whatever reason the semi-final attendance was poor but the Peterhead game about 6000? Turned up. People will turn up if Morton are doing the business on the pitch.

But probably between 2-2500 of them were OF fans who would never come and support us over a league campaign, just for a one off game where we can win a trophy.

Collective revolt. My worry is that the damage is too far gone for most folk.

Let's say we changed owners and things started to look up, would we really be able to repair the damage?

I don't see nearly as many groups of mates heading for a day out to the game anymore.

Sad

Dunfermline have turned it around, so can we.

EOho8Pw.png

Dunfermline have turned it around, so can we.

I'd like to think that's the case but I'm genuinely unsure. The opportunity to build on last season has been squandered in a way that only Dougie Rae could, and it may well be the final straw (in a lone line of them).

There is no chance of fundamental change under this regime and folk have spent too long being taken for mugs by a guy who's more motivated by ownership than achievement.

We have underachieved for 17 years under Douglas Rae and fans have tuned out. Add to that the Hugh scott Era and John Wilson before him. The fans are truest sick and tired and the club would really need to re-engage and to an extent re brand to get people on board as it has been broke. Promise after broken promise.

That wasn't the case last season when we were winning....

At least I don't remember it being the case anyway. That's what prompted auld Dougie to slag the fans turning up whilst threatening part time football

Doing the business on the pitch for a spell is not enough.

Doing the business on the pitch, showing ambition and with measurable targets for progression is, hence why Dunfermline fans bought into what they were trying to do whilst our fans, and continue to be proven right, did not.

When we were going through our good spell, Hawke was interviewed and stated 'we are not ready to go up'. We 'strengthened' by replacing the injured Quitongo with Shankland while re-signing the likes of Oyenuga and Scullion.

The signs were clear that the club had no desire to progress.

When we were going through our good spell, Hawke was interviewed and stated 'we are not ready to go up'.

Sadly, these kind of messages come from the board all too often and ruin any momentum we might have. Fair enough if we aren’t ready, but you don’t actually tell the fans that as it achieves nothing.

The support for Morton is out there but is driven away by this negativity.

The above from Jamie M is spot on. If the team was performing better and we made some positive signings, there’d be a much better atmosphere around the place, obviously. Last season (the first half anyway) was one of the most enjoyable times to support Morton as there’d been in god knows how long. But did attendances increase? No. Was there a genuine feeling of “we’re going somewhere now”? No, I don’t think so. Most still recognised the problems with the stadium and the club’s infrastructure and that’d be the exact same now. Made even worse by the white elephant that is the turnstiles and the bizarre youth policy being the board’s #1 focus.

This whole "we're a stupid little youth club now" thing triggers the fuck out of me every time I think about it. It's a death sentence for any chance of promotion because no proven winner is going to come to a club whose explicit target is to sell young players. Sell young players while also progressing on the pitch - as St. Mirren are doing - is one thing, but that's clearly not the plan. If you were the kind of guy who could lead a club to promotion, would you sign for a proper professional team or the glorified creche that is Morton?

EOho8Pw.png

Doing the business on the pitch for a spell is not enough.

Doing the business on the pitch, showing ambition and with measurable targets for progression is, hence why Dunfermline fans bought into what they were trying to do whilst our fans, and continue to be proven right, did not.

When we were going through our good spell, Hawke was interviewed and stated 'we are not ready to go up'. We 'strengthened' by replacing the injured Quitongo with Shankland while re-signing the likes of Oyenuga and Scullion.

The signs were clear that the club had no desire to progress.

And then subsequent done a complete u-turn. Again, more retrospective action.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Collective revolt. My worry is that the damage is too far gone for most folk.

Let's say we changed owners and things started to look up, would we really be able to repair the damage?

I don't see nearly as many groups of mates heading for a day out to the game anymore.

Sad

There used to be about 10 of us that came up from Largs, Fairlie and West Kilbride. That number is now 2, sometimes none. Rae is killing this club.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

This whole "we're a stupid little youth club now" thing triggers the **** out of me every time I think about it. It's a death sentence for any chance of promotion because no proven winner is going to come to a club whose explicit target is to sell young players. Sell young players while also progressing on the pitch - as St. Mirren are doing - is one thing, but that's clearly not the plan. If you were the kind of guy who could lead a club to promotion, would you sign for a proper professional team or the glorified creche that is Morton?

With the new ethos, that type of player won't have the choice to make as we wouldn't have the budget to even go for them.

2014. Dumbarton were performing well in the Championship and were in with a sniff of promotion via the playoffs. There was no 'we're a small part time team, we're not ready, we couldn't possibly go up' - every interview was 'we're going for the playoffs, we can do this'.

Ok, they couldn't - they finished 5th, but that's the rhetoric you should be putting out, not the 'we're little Morton, we couldn't possibly'.

Archived