Q&a With Warren Hawke - Page 40 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Q&a With Warren Hawke

As it stands, I couldn't care less about how well we are doing off the park right now and how we fill the hospitality box every home game, or how the ladies team won 4-3 - what matters to me is the business on the park and it's simply not good enough.

With regards to Hawke, he has definitely done some positive things for the club which is magic but there's also a few bad moves to accompany it. Granted he's only new into the role but I can't help but think he's a bit of a yes man to the Rae's and he's already got the blinkers on.

Sack the board.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, i do have a season ticket therefore away games are the ones being binned currently although, with a 100 mile round trip to get to home games, some of them have also fallen away. I did go yesterday but definitely wish i hadn't.

Renewal next season seems unlikely (well, i say renewal, Morton have no concept of renewal, they usually couldn't give a shit if existing holders purchase again or not).

They are directly impacting the structure on the park in the here and now and for the forseeable in a negative way.

The last time they did that, we went spinning to the seaside and if things don't change we could suffer the same fate.

Well they have assigned a budget that won't keep us going into debt which is something we need and haven't done in the past (it's been a case of spending as a last ditch effort or vanity projects at times over the years).

Like I said I'm a bit ambivalent just now and can see a lot of positive changes (others can't and I can understand why) so I think it's a transition period from an old management structure to a new one. Time will tell if it's a success or not.

a transition period from an old management structure to a new one.

I can see the summer season ticket sales drive getting off to a stormer with that enticing prospect. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I guess you'll disagree but my opinion is that when Hawke came in there was a huge mess and he's done a lot more positive things (like the strips) than have been done for years. Fair enough some is a reaction but at least it's been something.

Again my opinion, but I think we're in a bit of a transition period (possibly making things more attractive for a new owner like I said in another thread) and can see some good things in what he's done. I still think it's early days because of the mess and don't think things will change overnight but time will tell. There's obviously been mistakes but I do think he learns from them too (again time will tell).

Edit to add: this is purely about Hawke in charge and not the Raes, etc.

A reactionary approach to fixing the initial mess around strips and other small measures goes nowhere to compensate for the massive strategical fuck ups including the ticket fiasco (ridiculous turnstiles investment, turnstiles that don't work, expecting our ageing fanbase to switch to an online system, overblown admission prices, ridiculous 2 tier pricing structure), and our sustainability approach which is seeing a massive backward step in performance.

Add in the much vaunted away end in the cowshed which is sitting dormant most weeks and the list of actual achievements is beginning to look very very thin.

Well they have assigned a budget that won't keep us going into debt which is something we need and haven't done in the past (it's been a case of spending as a last ditch effort or vanity projects at times over the years).

Like I said I'm a bit ambivalent just now and can see a lot of positive changes (others can't and I can understand why) so I think it's a transition period from an old management structure to a new one. Time will tell if it's a success or not.

We made a profit last season for the first time in years due to upward trajectory and a degree of success on the pitch.

Continue that and fan buy in will increase. Then continue to make themselves more commercially savvy off the field and we would be in a far better place.

It was absolutely NOT the right time to switch to a cost cutting model.

We made a profit last season for the first time in years due to upward trajectory and a degree of success on the pitch.

Continue that and fan buy in will increase. Then continue to make themselves more commercially savvy off the field and we would be in a far better place.

Yeah but on the pitch isn't a a constant. Off the field is to an extent so get that right and I'd like to think it will be mirrored on the park. As I said, I think it's a a period where we're going from a bit of chaos and being unorganised (Donaldson, etc) to having a structure.

That will take time and I'm still hopefull it will work. If it doesn't I'll hold my hands up.

The accounts for last season (financial year ended 31st May 2017) haven't yet been published although they should probably be sent out to shareholders within the next week or two.

I'm assuming Hawke told those at the Q&A that the club turned over a profit, but I'll wait and see before getting too confident about that. If they haven't though after the League cup run and televised trip to Ibrox in the Scottish Cup then we never will.

Yeah but on the pitch isn't a a constant. Off the field is to an extent so get that right and I'd like to think it will be mirrored on the park. As I said, I think it's a a period where we're going from a bit of chaos and being unorganised (Donaldson, etc) to having a structure.

That will take time and I'm still hopefull it will work. If it doesn't I'll hold my hands up.

The biggest change with their sustainability drive is not off the pitch, it is on it. And it most certainly means on the pitch is not a constant as we stink the place out on a weekly basis.

The last time they tried sustainability with regards to the playing structure, it cost the club a fortune - money squandered in their failed attempt to save us from their car crash with the likes of Novo and O'Connor, then the reduced income of a season in League 1 (at the same time missing out on a year of increased prize money in the Championship and increased gates from having Hibs, Hearts and Rangers in the league).

There has been no learning from that monumental mistake and we risk being flushed down the toilet and into the sea. Again.

The accounts for last season (financial year ended 31st May 2017) haven't yet been published although they should probably be sent out to shareholders within the next week or two.

I'm assuming Hawke told those at the Q&A that the club turned over a profit, but I'll wait and see before getting too confident about that. If they haven't though after the League cup run and televised trip to Ibrox in the Scottish Cup then we never will.

The minutes from the Q&A attribute Hawke as saying we did. I would not be surprised if the accounts creatively show a loss however.

Who is ahead of who in the hierarchy? Nick then Hawke or vice versa?

If it is the same structured decision-making that led to spunking £100k on a set of shan turntiles, charging premium prices in the division to watch lower midtable garbage, a squad policy of packing the squad out with youth ringers, and a policy of blaming the fans for not bringing enough friends to merit better performances and results then it's not going to work. 'Donaldson and chaos' would actually be preferable.

But the bottom line is straightforward: the majority of fans don't really care about the internal workings of the club - except as an auxiliary to the performances of the first team. This board have long exhausted the fanbase's goodwill and patience and so they are not going to stump up every fortnight and in the seasons to come, in blind faith that some deckchair-arranging exercises behind the scenes are going to have a positive effect. Ambition and progress are required on the park, now. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

If it is the same structured decision-making that led to spunking £100k on a set of shan turntiles, charging premium prices in the division to watch lower midtable garbage, a squad policy of packing the squad out with youth ringers, and a policy of blaming the fans for not bringing enough friends to merit better performances and results then it's not going to work. 'Donaldson and chaos' would actually be preferable.

But the bottom line is straightforward: the majority of fans don't really care about the internal workings of the club - except as an auxiliary to the performances of the first team. This board have long exhausted the fanbase's goodwill and patience and so they are not going to stump up every fortnight and in the seasons to come, in blind faith that some deckchair-arranging exercises behind the scenes are going to have a positive effect. Ambition and progress are required on the park, now.

No, they don't care about on it but the squad, I think, is decent enough. And if Duffy can't make it work then the people running things need to be held accountable if they don't take action. At the moment Duffy is on the verge of not being good enough (he's over in some opinions I struggle to argue against) but for me not quite there.

The first team may be decent enough: the squad is absolutely threadbare, packed with regens who are extremely unlikely to make an impact at this level. The club isn't fooling many about its direction of travel and complete absence of ambition; throwing the manager under the bus for his own failures would do nothing to change that fact.

There is no ambition at the club! Any team in the league with five good players will be on the top half. If Morton had/have aspirations of being in the playoffs then they would be sourcing 2-3 players to cemement their place at the top end of the table. Not holding out hope that we can have 8 youth in the squad and have the next James McArthur etc

Football has changed since Douglas Rae first took over and Youth football certainly has. Morton will always be the bridesmaid and not the bride whilst Douglas is in charge.

Morton are heading for 8th place of thy don't change it.

In total agreement with the guys not going back this season. I've seen it too many times before when the club stagnates it doesn't stand still it goes backwards & a relegation struggle isn't far off, maybe not this season but soon.

I just hate that we've returned to the position of no ambition, or at least not the same ambition as the fans. At the very least we should be challenging for promotion i.e. the top two not scrambling for fourth, which is becoming more remote with each passing week.

The writing was on the wall for me when we went with a smaller squad than last season & went the first few games with Barr, supposedly a coach playing. That's not a club interested in promotion & it's a disgrace to charge what they're asking while complaining about the crowds.

Had enough, regime change needed before I'll be back.

I'd love to have you both for dinner

I didn’t expect us to be going for top two but I certainly expected us to be going for no worse than 4th. When we don’t finish in the play-offs we can write this season off as yet another failure and the club shooting itself in the foot. I’m concerned that we’ll finish 9th in all honesty. We’re leaking goals and can’t score any and have a manager and board who are happy with this.

Can see the headlines already: “Shankland sinks Morton in the play-off final”.

Alib posted that he encountered issues. Scroll back and you will see. He clearly stated someone had to press the button manually to allow entry.

Your welcome.

To be fair, Alibi probably encountered problems before he left the M74.

*insert signature here*

See the other thing. When we go to grounds, we don't get 3 options of where we sit/stand.

Sticking them in the WDE in the pissing rain - although comical - is just stupid.

300 > merits the shed being open to away fans. That should be the only option. Failing that, the main stand.

I beg to differ. Putting away supporters in the Cowshed is a big no-no as far as I'm concerned. The few times that I've been in the Cowshed with away supporters in there, the Morton support seemed to be outsung by the 200 or so yokels who made the trip.

Put them in the corner of the main stand, or let them get soaked.

*insert signature here*

Archived