Motherwell V Morton - Betfred Cup - Match Thread - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Motherwell V Morton - Betfred Cup - Match Thread

Chesh

Looking at the other groups, our maximum of 8 points isn't going to get us very far.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to put all our effort and resources into winning the Challenge Cup IMO.

That involves getting past Livi, which I'm none to confident of right now.

A particular highlight today was four Morton players forming a diamond formation for the argument about the "marking" after the 'Well forward had done an overhead kick.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Looking at the other groups, our maximum of 8 points isn't going to get us very far.

Unless we secure a 14 goal swing against Dunfermline (and Livingston flop as well) next Saturday then we're out. So we're out then.  

Failing to reach the second round from probably the weakest League Cup section in the entire draw is a clear and unacceptable failure. There can be no excuses. Duffy had a fully prepared squad since mid-June that he couldn't deploy to sword the three gubbins, seaside league dross around the Motherwell match. 

Allan Moore would have earned an effortless nine points and progression from this section. These are facts.

CdS2JR0WwAIEFkw.jpg

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I don't think Gaston does himself any favours for the 1st, 3rd and 4th goals there.

Was the first goal not off-side? Gaston definitely at fault for the 4th, he left a huge gap to aim at. 3rd goal, having watched it a few times I don't think there was much Gaston could do.. guy had the whole goal to aim at, nice finish.

By the look of it Gaston saved us from an absolute hammering - bailed out the defence umpteen times. Our central defence looks absolutely horrendous, which isn't really surprising. Harkins' red card well-deserved, stupid.

Having watched the highlights I actually feel a bit more positive than I did yesterday! First and second goals due to not winning/completely missing headers, the guys that made the mistakes hopefully won't be playing in a few weeks. After that Harkins has us down to 10 men and there are gaps everywhere.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

That was grim viewing :angry:

Defence looked like a bunch of random clueless strangers and midfield to front was woeful. Quality absent everywhere.

Are these guys still on holiday?

I think if anything it shows how we are only one or two injuries from a crisis. More bodies needed!

Injury crisis? Yes, we are just about there - just look at the bench.

Form crisis? We are well and truly already there and have been since March.

Gaston undoubtedly should have done better with 3 of the 4 goals. The first in particular is an absolute shambles on his part though looked like a foul on the edge of the box. He had no idea where he was positionally at the third and his positional sense was extremely suspect for the fourth.

I've always been a fan but he seems to have regressed pretty badly over the past 12 months.

TRUST THE DUFF

Were those highlights biased towards Motherwell or was it really that one sided? Find it hard to believe we had our first effort on goal when 3-0 down? :lol:

We had a corner in the first minute. Went downhill after that.

Were those highlights biased towards Motherwell or was it really that one sided? Find it hard to believe we had our first effort on goal when 3-0 down? :lol:

No bias at all, we were outclassed from the start and 4-0 flattered us.

Barring a ridiculous combination of results we're out of the competition now, but despite this I'm actually quite looking forward to Saturday. It'll be interesting to see what the team are capable of with 11 men and no Harkins, who has been a liability so far. Having enough defenders fit to drop Barr can't come soon enough either.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Gaston undoubtedly should have done better with 3 of the 4 goals. The first in particular is an absolute shambles on his part though looked like a foul on the edge of the box. He had no idea where he was positionally at the third and his positional sense was extremely suspect for the fourth.

I've always been a fan but he seems to have regressed pretty badly over the past 12 months.

Harsh on Gaston. Wouldn't really fault him at the third, was left a bit lost by the ball coming of the posts... and the finish was very good. At fault for the 4th for sure, the rest, not particularly.  He looked the best of a bad lot in defence, going by the highlights.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Harsh on Gaston. Wouldn't really fault him at the third, was left a bit lost by the ball coming of the posts... and the finish was very good. At fault for the 4th for sure, the rest, not particularly. He looked the best of a bad lot in defence, going by the highlights.

Not harsh at all. 2 calamitous periods of lost form/confidence last season alone, more mistakes/bombscare moments already this season. We should have upgraded by now.

Yesterday, at fault for 4th and 1st at least (at worst he should have clattered the guy at the 1st instead of dancing a jig).

Harsh on Gaston. Wouldn't really fault him at the third, was left a bit lost by the ball coming of the posts... and the finish was very good. At fault for the 4th for sure, the rest, not particularly.  He looked the best of a bad lot in defence, going by the highlights.

The first goal was a back post header from about 2 inches. A goalkeeper should be competing for that ball, not standing still on the line.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The first goal was a back post header from about 2 inches. A goalkeeper should be competing for that ball, not standing still on the line.

Agreed . Gaston may have made some good saves but in the end they count for little if he is at fault in whole or in part for three goals. Having said that our central defence was woeful with the Motherwell getting more time and space than they could have dreamed of.

We look on paper to have a stronger squad than last season when all our players are fit but we win or lose games on the park not on paper and we need our central defence sorted now.

The team spirit last season was excellent and it is to be hoped that the new signings fit into that ethos rather than disrupting it.

Archived