Dan Petrescu Wants Jim - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dan Petrescu Wants Jim

MORTON1985

Don't mean to burst your bubble but I think you'll find Griffiths was £125k :P

Dundee thought Gary Harkins was worth similar, so you really have to question their judgement!!!

Whether they actually cost that is one thing, but they most certainly ain't worth it.

AWMSC

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we'll get £100k but thats all I'd let him go for tbh. Not just his ability, but his importance to the current team increases his value TO US and I'd rather have 1 more season out of him than have a weakened team (we're not exactly great as it is) and a measly fee of about £10k. Saying that, if we do sell Jim, I'd hope we're sensible enough to include a sell-on clause as I think Jim will end up at a higher level, and be worth a decent amount.

If we lose Jim, we should be trying to tempt Neil McCann. :)

TTG JIM!!!

I thought this was a joke when I seen the original post

Unbelievable bit of news... I wonder how Jimbo is feeling about all of this???

Personally I would jump at the chance... the experience would be priceless - to play in the Champions League would be incredible.

A real "Michael Hardcastle" style story if I ever I heard one.

A player is only worth what the club selling and the club buying values the player at. It's not as if there is some sort of objective valuing system that shows what a player should be sold for.

Morton shouldn't sell McAlister unless it gives us the money to bring in at least 2 new players IMO. It would be very difficult to find a better straight replacement. But if we can get a couple of good players in with the money then it's probably worth it. But for 25-50k he isn't really worth selling. We'd just be shooting ourselves in the foot.

For me it's only worth selling him for 100k+, and for the champions of Romania that's surely a bargain price for a player they think can add something to their squad.

I would be sad to see Jim go, he is one of the first names on the team-sheet as far as I am concerned. Given that this Romanian mob will have Champions League revenue this season, I would like to think we could get a minimum of 75k for Jim's services. He has been brought up through the youth system and is a big asset to the side, showing himself to being a committed wing-back for the last couple of years.

I would take the money however as he would be free to leave at the end of this season and going by previous comments from Jim regarding his own naivety in signing a new contract, I don't think he'll be at Cappielow either way this time next year, unless we win the league!

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

jim.jpg

It cost me £1.8m to take Jim with me to Birmingham after I left Morton. As my captain, he played a big part in getting me to a 3rd place SPL finish within 2 years. He played in Europe after we beat Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final too. He's now ripping up the Championship. Football Manager's a wonderful thing. Quick, show Petrescu this image from my game and see if it adds a couple of zeros on...

In the real world thoguh, with the contract situation, and the current financial climate, we probably can't expect a huge amount for Jim. The decision Davie and Dougie have to make is how valuable they think 1 more season with us is. There's no point taking a measly sum of £20k or something like that, if we can't afford/find a replacement and it means we struggle more.

What's the prize money situation in this league? How much extra do you get for finishing a couple of places higher? Jim is one of those players who can make the difference between finishing 4th or 7th. How valuable is that? What about cup games. Good players win games, get us through a tough tie which could lead to a money spinning draw. Hard to put a price on these things but the postential gain over a year is worth way more than a token 20-30k in my opinion. Naturally there is a point where the cash outweighs the potential gain. I'd be disappointed with less than say £80-100k minimum, with a couple of Romanian wonderkids thrown in for good measure.

Just think how grim the football we play will be without him. We're boring enough to watch never mind losing our one guy who has a bit of flair and can add a bit of excitement to games.

If he does leave I'd go as far as saying we'll need to bring in at least 3 player to cover what he does for the squad and the starting line up will need to be reshuffled quite a bit. I dont think he gets enough credit for speed he gets the ball up the park. Fair enough he might not always have an end product but the ground he gains is more than the rest of the team together manage.

I thought Jim was oustanding the other night and its no wonder they want a look at him. He skint about 4 players to setup that goal. Its sad to say but he is the only player we have that can take a man on. He would be a big loss to us but for the sake of his career he should go.

He'll learn more playing for that Team than hell ever get here espcially with Davie (Punt the Ball Tactics) Irons at the helm.

I wouldn't except less than 100k though. They are in the Champions league so must get at least 10million like rangers.

It would be crazy to see him playing in the Champions league.

Also when was the last time Morton made the back pages in the Summer!!!

C'mon the Ton!!

138035.png

I thought Jim was oustanding the other night and its no wonder they want a look at him. He skint about 4 players to setup that goal. Its sad to say but he is the only player we have that can take a man on. He would be a big loss to us but for the sake of his career he should go.

He'll learn more playing for that Team than hell ever get here espcially with Davie (Punt the Ball Tactics) Irons at the helm.

I wouldn't except less than 100k though. They are in the Champions league so must get at least 10million like rangers.

It would be crazy to see him playing in the Champions league.

Also when was the last time Morton made the back pages in the Summer!!!

The tele most days :P

jim.jpg

I'd be disappointed with less than say £80-100k minimum, with a couple of Romanian wonderkids thrown in for good measure.

errr, where did the Cheeky Girls come from.......?? :unsure:

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right......."

I've been one to doubt the final ball for Jim McAllister, but the thing that would bother me most about Jimbo going is getting a replacement. For that reason, losing JM would be a mammoth loss. He's clearly a very skillful player and has been showing big improvements in crossing, if not his shooting, which to be fair, doesn't matter as much as the crossing.

: )

We would miss Jim more than any other player in our squad, but as he's the one prospect we've had in the last decade i've always wanted what is best for his career above what is good for Morton, which is why i've always stated he has stayed here at least one year too long, and is growing stale here. He has all the attributes needed to be a top player, and he's improved things like his left footed crossing over the last year or so, but could improve so much more at a higher level.

I hope this move happens for Jim, it could be the best thing thats ever happened to him. I'd choose this move over playing in the boring SPL, although if a championship club came in for him then i'd choose that over playing in the Champions League with this team.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

100K is what I'd expect a team like Hibs to offer for McAllister.

Would be expecting considerably more from a team in the Champions League, with the money they make there. If he went for 100k to a team in the Champions League, it would be robbery.

I've been one to doubt the final ball for Jim McAllister, but the thing that would bother me most about Jimbo going is getting a replacement. For that reason, losing JM would be a mammoth loss. He's clearly a very skillful player and has been showing big improvements in crossing, if not his shooting, which to be fair, doesn't matter as much as the crossing.

Were you at the game on Monday night the movement of the Romanians was way above the Morton team if Jim went to them he would always have options to pass to as he will have a better quality player around him.

Indeed. Mcalister is a good player, but if it's a choice between a decent fee and him going for nothing in January, we might as well take the money. It's not as if we're going to be making a sustained title push by signing guys like Grady and Monti, so we're as well finishing somewhere around mid-table without Jim as with him.

Totally agreed. Take the money and run. It's best for all parties, I think, including Jim, who can flourish with a higher-level team.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived