The General Nonsense Thread - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The General Nonsense Thread

34 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

Just want to support the last para. This is key to youth development and is a great opportunity for the player and the manager. For the player it is a chance to show he belongs in the first team squad and cope with the mental element of it. And for the manager to judge their temperament amongst older more experienced players. 

Going back to the personal - best thing my lad did was to skip the second year of under 18 county football and go straight to lower level adult football at 17. It got him his move to a senior county side in the second season and then step 5 as he was able to show temperament as well as ability. Loads of better players than him didn’t have the mental strength and a lot have stopped playing completely. 

My only involvement in professional football was when I went on trial then trained with Den Haag in Holland. I found the training very difficult as it was based on 7-a-side games of two-touch then one touch then one header etc. The guys I was playing with had been doing this from a very young age and I struggled to keep up. The coach Robbie Rensenbrink kept shouting at me that I was f***ing it up. The best thing I took from it was how the players from all age groups were integrated into the club as equals. After training we all went to the club house from all the different pitches and had a drink together, fruit juice for the youngsters and a beer for us. I didn’t detect any different treatment being applied to individual players based on which level or age group they were at. Everyone was afforded the same training facilities and the opportunity to go wherever it took them in their careers. In my case they never told me at any point that I was going to be released. I had to go and tell my coach that I would never be able to reach the standard of one and two touch football that my fellow players already possessed. Therefore I told them I was leaving before they told me, whenever that was going to happen. 

That’s probably where I’ve got my bugbear about how development players are integrated to the club set-up and treated as equals.

8 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

My only involvement in professional football was when I went on trial then trained with Den Haag in Holland. I found the training very difficult as it was based on 7-a-side games of two-touch then one touch then one header etc. The guys I was playing with had been doing this from a very young age and I struggled to keep up. The coach Robbie Rensenbrink kept shouting at me that I was f***ing it up. The best thing I took from it was how the players from all age groups were integrated into the club as equals. After training we all went to the club house from all the different pitches and had a drink together, fruit juice for the youngsters and a beer for us. I didn’t detect any different treatment being applied to individual players based on which level or age group they were at. Everyone was afforded the same training facilities and the opportunity to go wherever it took them in their careers. In my case they never told me at any point that I was going to be released. I had to go and tell my coach that I would never be able to reach the standard of one and two touch football that my fellow players already possessed. Therefore I told them I was leaving before they told me, whenever that was going to happen. 

That’s probably where I’ve got my bugbear about how development players are integrated to the club set-up and treated as equals.

I really shouldn't as you can't help yourself, can you?  Give us the year, when you released yourself from your trial with Den Haag?

I get the sense that you're in your early 60's so I'm guessing this was in the late 70s/early 80s.  

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

10 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

I really shouldn't as you can't help yourself, can you?  Give us the year, when you released yourself from your trial with Den Haag?

I get the sense that you're in your early 60's so I'm guessing this was in the late 70s/early 80s.  

I’ve just turned 69 so it’ was a bit later. I was working at Grootint Shipyard near Rotterdam, and also played for the Work Football Team. I was in my thirties but the Den Haag manager didn’t know that as I looked much younger and I didn’t make him any the wiser. I played a cup match for Grootint and our coach told me the Den Haag manager was there and wanted to speak with me. He then to my amazement offered me trials with Den Haag, who at that time were in the top four in the Netherlands, with Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord.

16 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

20 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I’ve just turned 69 so it’ was a bit later. I was working at Grootint Shipyard near Rotterdam, and also played for the Work Football Team. I was in my thirties but the Den Haag manager didn’t know that as I looked much younger and I didn’t make him any the wiser. I played a cup match for Grootint and our coach told me the Den Haag manager was there and wanted to speak with me. He then to my amazement offered me trials with Den Haag, who at that time were in the top four in the Netherlands, with Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord.

The cup match was at Den Haag’s ground in case you’re wondering why the Manager was in attendance!

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

Jesus wept.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

12 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

Your first sentence defies logic. If you are 69, not 60, that would imply that you would have gone through the stages of your football career earlier, not later. Interesting story though.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

4 hours ago, Alibi said:

Your first sentence defies logic. If you are 69, not 60, that would imply that you would have gone through the stages of your football career earlier, not later. Interesting story though.

And always worth checking Wikipedia to check what people were up to and, more importantly where, before one starts dropping names.  

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

On 1/7/2024 at 7:01 PM, TAFKAC said:

I really shouldn’t either, but I’m trying to find the year by what I was doing at work. I first worked at Hereema in Leiden when I lived in Den Haag. I worked on the Ultramar Markham Gas Field Development conceptual design. I then moved to Grootint Shipyard in Swindrech to convert the design into fabrication drawings. At this point I lived in Dordrecht. I see that the Markham Field started production in 1992, so it must’ve been around 1988/89 that I played for Grootint and then trained with Den Haag. I had to travel there by train and bus every Tuesday and Thursday night, getting back after midnight with work the next morning. As there seemed to be no movement with my prospects I felt I had to quit.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

It takes about 15 seconds to check that in 88/89 Den Haag were in the Eerste Divisie and Co Adriaanse was the manager. So not Rob Rensenbrink as manager (a player who famously never went into coaching with any club), not competing for the top four of the Eredivisie with Ajax, Feyenoord & PSV, and by your own provided age and timeline you got this trial despite being 34/35 at the time.

If you're looking for childish or immature behaviour, I'd say making stuff like this up for no apparent reason is a far bigger example than clicking a red dot when no one actually gives a fuck about their reputation on a forum.

The manager obviously wasn’t taking training for the group I was in though. I don’t think that would happen at any professional club.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

The manager obviously wasn’t taking training for the group I was in though. I don’t think that would happen at any professional club.

With the best will in the world, probably best to stop digging now.  Rensenbrink never coached at any point after he stopped playing - his last club was in France after a spell in the US.  He also never played in the Netherlands after he left in 1969.  Wikipedia has a wonderful function which allows you to view the page in different languages - the dutch page is surprisingly more detailed than the English one. 

As I said in a earlier post, always sensible to sense check the facts of story before going big.  

George Bernard Shaw

35 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

With the best will in the world, probably best to stop digging now.  Rensenbrink never coached at any point after he stopped playing - his last club was in France after a spell in the US.  He also never played in the Netherlands after he left in 1969.  Wikipedia has a wonderful function which allows you to view the page in different languages - the dutch page is surprisingly more detailed than the English one. 

As I said in a earlier post, always sensible to sense check the facts of story before going big.  

It’s not me who’s doing the digging!
In any case I’ve just remembered my Dutch Project Manager’s name at both companies. Hopefully he’ll have a better recollection of the dates. 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

It’s not me who’s doing the digging!
In any case I’ve just remembered my Dutch Project Manager’s name at both companies. Hopefully he’ll have a better recollection of the dates. 

Don't think anyone really cares.  You're clearly a complete fantasist.

• Upvote 1

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"