The General Nonsense Thread - Page 3 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The General Nonsense Thread

I was giving the benefit of the doubt and thought it might be true because I thought it would be much earlier. Dutch football wasn't professional until the 50s and well into the 60s the regional clubs would have had part-timers. But a club with a European record giving an open-ended "trial" to a 37-year-old (they never asked his age?) at a time when they were back in the top flight? Aye, alright. You wouldn't catch Arbroath doing that.

The saving grace to the story might be the amateur teams. A lot of pro Dutch clubs to this day preserve an amateur team or even two in the Saturday or Sunday non-leagues. From looking at it, ADO were actually split in two in the 70s through to the mid-90s, with FC Den Haag being the top flight mainstays. Maybe ADO themselves dropped into amateur football at that time, I don't know.

It'd be pretty funny if he was being tried out for an amateur team and thought he was actually with FC Den Haag.

Actually I'm now 50% confident this is what happened, an amateur team with a coach called "Robbie" invited him to training, and he took that to mean the city's professional club, staffed with a World Cup star whose job it is to mentor the 37-year-old rough diamonds, were offering him an open-ended trial after which they'd consider giving a professional contract.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

5 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

How dare you have the temerity to come on here and ask for help whilst promoting the idea of increasing your contributions. It's the Fans' Forum FFS! Seriously though you've done nothing wrong at all. More and more people on here are taking it upon themselves to "police" what others post for their own agenda's and it's not healthy!.

Serious question, when Ronnie Rensenbrinken or whatever his name was knocked you back for ADO Den Haag, did you try any other clubs?

*insert signature here*

8 hours ago, capitanus said:

Serious question, when Ronnie Rensenbrinken or whatever his name was knocked you back for ADO Den Haag, did you try any other clubs?

No, I hadn’t tried Den Haag either. They just, to my utter shock, approached me after a match. I also wasn’t knocked back, I just left. I continued to play amateur football into my forties.

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

That’s exactly what I meant! Concentrate on the team you support or play for!

So, your use of a sectarian slur against our captain was actually you agreeing that Morton supporters are not sectarian?

I now think you're deliberately trying to turn every thread into a shit show, goodbye.

14 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Cool story bro, except Rotterdam, Brielle and Ooltgensplaat are in Zuid Holland, not Zeeland

I only said Ooltgensplaat was in Zeeland. I had to hire a car to get from Zwindrecht to there, when my family came over for the summer. I had to drive over sort of mini-causeways to get there, and there was more water than land on the island. My children loved it there as everyone wore clogs so we followed suit. New Zealand was called after Zeeland. Do you know what Brielle is famous for?

16 hours ago, Hej said:

You talk so much pish. 

ADO Den Haag took on a player in their 30s for a trial who had no previous experience of professional football? Is that what you're alleging? Fuck off 😂

They thought I was in my early 20's. I don't suppose anyone will believe it but in my forties the Morton Scout Jimmy Kielan asked my manager at Renfrew Western, what age is the wee right winger? to which my manager replied, forget him, he's over forty!

5 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

No, I hadn’t tried Den Haag either. They just, to my utter shock, approached me after a match. I also wasn’t knocked back, I just left. I continued to play amateur football into my forties.

You should have tried the Savoy, they let anyone in.  :lol:

14 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I'm told the coach at Den Haag may have been Rob Ouwehand.

That is a different name altogether from Ronnie Rosenthal.

*insert signature here*

22 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

They thought I was in my early 20's. I don't suppose anyone will believe it but in my forties the Morton Scout Jimmy Kielan asked my manager at Renfrew Western, what age is the wee right winger? to which my manager replied, forget him, he's over forty!

Are you like Cliff Richard, and look younger than your years?

*insert signature here*

8 minutes ago, HamCam said:

When you were in your 40's the Morton scout thought you were in your early 20's? I would be giving L'oreal a call to offer your genes to help with finding the elixer of youth. 

DreamOakTree, yesterday:

*insert signature here*

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

I only said Ooltgensplaat was in Zeeland.  

Yeah, but it isn't, it's in Zuid Holland. Something you should have known if you had lived there as you claimed

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

I had to hire a car to get from Zwindrecht to there, 

You still cant spell it right... it's Zwijndrecht

2 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

Can't believe that Admin have been forced to create an entirely new thread for this steaming heap of shite.

I'm glad he did though.  It's quality.  :thumbup2:

*insert signature here*