The General Nonsense Thread - Page 2 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The General Nonsense Thread

58 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

There's a higher chance that the charlatan in the story is some jaked-up youth team coach at ADO pretending to be World Cup star Rob Rensenbrink.

You called it. The coach was actually Robren Senbrink from Estonia.

• Upvote 2

Only @Cet Homme Charmant will maybe get this, depending on his age. We're possibly engaged in the forum version of 'De Fabeltjeskrant'. My Dad was in the RAF. After his posting to RAF Rheindalen (Germany) ended in 1967, we moved to Holland so he could take up a new admin-related post working for the CFEI (Combined Forces Education Initiative) . We lived in a small town called Rimburg, very close to the German border. NATO built a school at Brunssum in Limburg called AFCENT (Allied Forces Central Europe, built for the kids of UK/German/US and Canadian servicemen) where I spent the last years of my junior education before moving back to the UK in 1970.

'Hallo Meneer de Uil' ........

8 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

Only @Cet Homme Charmant will maybe get this, depending on his age. We're possibly engaged in the forum version of 'De Fabeltjeskrant'. My Dad was in the RAF. After his posting to RAF Rheindalen (Germany) ended in 1967, we moved to Holland so he could take up a new admin-related post working for the CFEI (Combined Forces Education Initiative) . We lived in a small town called Rimburg, very close to the German border. NATO built a school at Brunssum in Limburg called AFCENT (Allied Forces Central Europe, built for the kids of UK/German/US and Canadian servicemen) where I spent the last years of my junior education before moving back to the UK in 1970.

'Hallo Meneer de Uil' ........

I lived in Nijmegen from 1996 till 2002. Never even been to Zwijndrecht but I still know how to spell it. :)

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I lived in Nijmegen from 1996 till 2002. Never even been to Zwijndrecht but I still know how to spell it. :)

Nijmegen's a lovely town. Our biggest/closest one was Maastricht (or Aachen in Germany if we occasionally hopped over the border for a day out). Maastricht market was magical - there was a church at one end of it with a tower housing a Dutch 'carillion' = loads of small church bells which played lovely tunes. Most vivid memory, though, were massive black tanks in the town market which contained gas-heated boiing oil, constantly being refilled with battered fish. 50% of the market visitors would be walking around clutching white paper containing fried fish. I can still taste in in my mind. Good times.

Anyway - fitba .......

52 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

Nijmegen's a lovely town. Our biggest/closest one was Maastricht (or Aachen in Germany if we occasionally hopped over the border for a day out). Maastricht market was magical - there was a church at one end of it with a tower housing a Dutch 'carillion' = loads of small church bells which played lovely tunes. Most vivid memory, though, were massive black tanks in the town market which contained gas-heated boiing oil, constantly being refilled with battered fish. 50% of the market visitors would be walking around clutching white paper containing fried fish. I can still taste in in my mind. Good times.

Anyway - fitba .......

I hope the people on here believe your story. I certainly have no reason to doubt it.

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I know it's correct. Very surprised that someone who apparently worked there would get it so wrong though. 

Doesn’t that prove I didn’t just google it if I was trying to concoct a story?

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

Doesn’t that prove I didn’t just google it if I was trying to concoct a story?

No, it doesn't prove anything, but it does cast a huge shadow of doubt over the validity of your cool story if you get the spelling of a town you claim to have worked in so badly wrong. 

Aberdeen FC had an English player in the late 1980's called Paul Mason who came to them via Dutch Football signing from FC Groningen having left Merseyside to go and work as a Builder's Labourer before being scouted whilst playing for a local amateur side.  The guy had a decent career with 20 years spent at three clubs - Groningen, Aberdeen & Ipswich.

*insert signature here*

I've looked back through old CV's etc. and It looks like I was quite a bit out with the year, it was 1992, as the Gas Platform Design we were working on was an addition to the original Ultramar Markham Development. The manager and our coach were definitely two different people. The manager was about medium height, stocky with short dark hair, and maybe mid-forties. The coach of our group was tall (good bit over 6') and slim, with shoulder length fair hair. I'm sure his first name was Rob or Robbie and he was a centre half. I can't be certain it was Rensenbrink but I'm sure someone told me it was and that's where I got it from. He would likely be an ex Den Haag player as that's how the Dutch Clubs tend to operate. There was training on at least 6 pitches with 6 different coaches, for age groups from around 8/10 to adult.  

The team we (Grootint) were playing against when the manager approached me were from London. They were called Rig Design Services (RDS), had an Engineering Team based in Rotterdam. They took me to Den Haag on their team bus and had to wait for me afterwards while I met the Den Haag Manager. 

I had also worked at Engineering Bureu Veth in Papendrecht and Keppel Verolme in Rotterdam, and lived in Rotterdam, Brielle and Ooltgensplaat in Zeeland, as well as Dordrecht and Den Haag. 

That's all I can recall at this time, although I've contacted RDS and my Project Manager at Hereema and Grootint, and will update anything of relevance.

• Downvote 1

If you're 69 now, in 1992 you would be 37 or thereabouts (depending on when you birthday is).  Just think, you could have been making your professional debut when you were almost as old as Kirk Broadfoot.

• Upvote 1

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

30 minutes ago, Alibi said:

If you're 69 now, in 1992 you would be 37 or thereabouts (depending on when you birthday is).  Just think, you could have been making your professional debut when you were almost as old as Kirk Broadfoot.

Well figured out, that's correct! I've never paid much attention to numbers such as age, years, dates etc. so maybe you're saying I should afford the same luxury to Kirk Broadfoot! 

• Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Well figured out, that's correct! I've never paid much attention to numbers such as age, years, dates etc. so maybe you're saying I should afford the same luxury to Kirk Broadfoot! 

I suspect that's not what he was saying

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

If you're 69 now, in 1992 you would be 37 or thereabouts (depending on when you birthday is).   

image.png

On 1/9/2024 at 3:14 AM, shaddypeekey said:

I've been trying to catch up on the posts on this thread. But quite frankly, this practice of giving one individual a red thumbs down every time he posts is a big bit childish and frankly unwarranted. Healthy disagreement is a great thing. If we all agreed all the time life would be a bit shit. Embrace differing opinions, be open to a contrasting point of view. Football supporters are a broad church of individuals; sometimes otherwise  mature and erudite posters on here need to realise that the consistent poo pooing of another posters contribution is embarrassingly immature. It's genuinely put me off even reading your responses guys. It may seem trivial, but the constant red dotting (or whatever its called) is tantamount to bullying. And it's fucking boring! 

On 1/9/2024 at 3:14 AM, shaddypeekey said:

I've been trying to catch up on the posts on this thread. But quite frankly, this practice of giving one individual a red thumbs down every time he posts is a big bit childish and frankly unwarranted. Healthy disagreement is a great thing. If we all agreed all the time life would be a bit shit. Embrace differing opinions, be open to a contrasting point of view. Football supporters are a broad church of individuals; sometimes otherwise  mature and erudite posters on here need to realise that the consistent poo pooing of another posters contribution is embarrassingly immature. It's genuinely put me off even reading your responses guys. It may seem trivial, but the constant red dotting (or whatever its called) is tantamount to bullying. And it's fucking boring! 

Thanks for your support SP, however I have brought a lot of this on myself on previous posts, so I can partially accept it for that reason. You may have also noticed I don't respond with similar tit-for-tat abuse. I posted a week or so back that, as well as responses to my posts, I also get a few digs thrown in. This has now taken a further turn as recently there is no responses to my post, just the digs and abusive personal comments. I'm not sure how I'm managing to trigger such responses, even from seemingly intelligent posters.

For instance Toby, who normally appears quite sharp and intelligent, regularly implied that I was an attention seeker, yet on a recent post he says that I replied to him at kick-off time so that my response would go unnoticed. This type of inconsistency has been happening quite frequently, with people regularly contradicting their own recent posts in their haste to be first to get a dig at me. Another example is me being called a fantasist when I admitted I left because couldn't meet the standard of one and two touch football that the other players displayed. Surely a fantasist would have said something like they took the place by storm with their amazing one and two touch skills. 

Still I'm sure everyone will be back to normal soon enough!

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Admin said:

I've tidied this thread up a bit. If you want to continue the erm...riveting...conversation this thread descended into, you can find it in General Nonsense. 

Excellent news Admin! Hopefully we’ll get back on topic soon!👍

• Downvote 1

On 1/7/2024 at 7:26 PM, DreamOakTree said:

I’ve just turned 69 so it’ was a bit later. I was working at Grootint Shipyard near Rotterdam, and also played for the Work Football Team. I was in my thirties but the Den Haag manager didn’t know that as I looked much younger and I didn’t make him any the wiser. I played a cup match for Grootint and our coach told me the Den Haag manager was there and wanted to speak with me. He then to my amazement offered me trials with Den Haag, who at that time were in the top four in the Netherlands, with Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord.

You talk so much pish. 

ADO Den Haag took on a player in their 30s for a trial who had no previous experience of professional football? Is that what you're alleging? Fuck off 😂

• Upvote 1