Morton v The Queenies - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton v The Queenies

Hej

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mince he was for the 1st & 3rd, I think that's extremely harsh on him for the 2nd, not a lot he could have done about that. The replay shows he was already going the other way & tried to get a hand on it, cant blame the keeper for that IMO

Nothing he has done before or after it warrants any benefit of the doubt.

That sums it up neatly. If he had played a blinder and only let in the second goal, everyone would be saying he hadn't much of a chance with the deflection.

In the context of the 90 minutes it just looked like another poor effort on his part.

That's my take on it. His reaction time and footwork is remarkably slow.

Im not saying De Gea or someone with similar reactions wouldn't have saved it, they most certainly would have, but IMO deflections tend to be down to pure reactions so I don't think you can blame GKs for deflected shots to be honest. Palming the ball out to the middle of the box & not being able to hold anything on the other hand are just down to being pish.

2 decent penalty saves? All is forgiven

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

We'd have won in 90 minutes and qualified without needing snookers had Gaston been in goal IMO.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

We'd have won in 90 minutes and qualified without needing snookers had Gaston been in goal IMO.

Gaston was an absolute zoomer as well, awful distribution, never moved outside his 6 yrd box and couldn't catch a dose of the clap up the Maga strip. Decent enough shotstopper, but as discussed numerous times on here, that's the bare minimum you expect from any GK. Ramsbottom needs to drastically improve (hopefully some of this is confidence related) or we need a new goalie pronto, but lets not pretend Gaston was anything but League 1 material.

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

Im not saying De Gea or someone with similar reactions wouldn't have saved it, they most certainly would have, but IMO deflections tend to be down to pure reactions so I don't think you can blame GKs for deflected shots to be honest. Palming the ball out to the middle of the box & not being able to hold anything on the other hand are just down to being pish.

Well no, his reaction time determines how quickly he realised the ball has changed direction/speed. His agility, footwork and shot stopping ability all come into play after he recognises the deflection. As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I don't think he's done anything to deserve the benefit of the doubt thus far. 

And as for your second point, his fuck ups meant we won two points from that match instead of three. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

And as for your second point, his fuck ups meant we won two points from that match instead of three.

And almost cost us £40k (for getting to the next round) plus gate money from the next round (and beyond!) all from what should have been a very comfortable position.

Saving penalties is no kind of saving grace for a keeper if they're rubbish the rest of the time and giving goals away in every game. You could stick an outfield player in goal for a shout out and they might save one or two, which isn't to devalue the role of a 'keeper; merely that it's not what determines their worth. Same with shot-stopping: plenty of people about who can do that to a decent level, but if you're rubbish at everything else then it's not enough.

AWMSC

I wasnt really serious about that comment, just replying to the earlier comment about not giving him the benefit of the doubt. I still think reactions is something your born with, same as speed, if your reactions are pish as a GK, then they are pish. No amount of training is going to significantly improve that

Saving penalties is no kind of saving grace for a keeper if they're rubbish the rest of the time and giving goals away in every game. You could stick an outfield player in goal for a shout out and they might save one or two, which isn't to devalue the role of a 'keeper; merely that it's not what determines their worth. Same with shot-stopping: plenty of people about who can do that to a decent level, but if you're rubbish at everything else then it's not enough.

Agreed, see comment above, I wasn't really serious. Craig Gordon is one of the best Scottish keepers iv ever seen, but his penalty saving ability is absolutely woeful

Gaston was an absolute zoomer as well, awful distribution, never moved outside his 6 yrd box and couldn't catch a dose of the clap up the Maga strip.

Gaston wasn't perfect but he was reasonably competent. Ramsbottom is totally out of his depth and would be in any senior league.

Gaston was an absolute zoomer as well, awful distribution, never moved outside his 6 yrd box and couldn't catch a dose of the clap up the Maga strip. Decent enough shotstopper, but as discussed numerous times on here, that's the bare minimum you expect from any GK. Ramsbottom needs to drastically improve (hopefully some of this is confidence related) or we need a new goalie pronto, but lets not pretend Gaston was anything but League 1 material.

That's just nonsense. Gaston was a good sound keeper. Not Premier League standard but above average for the Championship over the piece. He had some outstanding games and a few poor ones.

On usual form he would have saved all three of the goals.

I think that he lost out to McCrorie last season, not because McCrorie was much better but because of the Rangers connection with JJ.

If it was between what we've seen so far and Gaston I'd have Gaston back in a flash.

That's just nonsense. Gaston was a good sound keeper. Not Premier League standard but above average for the Championship over the piece. He had some outstanding games and a few poor ones.

On usual form he would have saved all three of the goals.

I think that he lost out to McCrorie last season, not because McCrorie was much better but because of the Rangers connection with JJ.

If it was between what we've seen so far and Gaston I'd have Gaston back in a flash.

Agree with all of that. Gaston had been on a decent run of form and didn't deserve to lose his place; McCrorie had some good games and some dodgy ones which over the piece didn't really give us more than Gaston would have.

I still suspect that the signing was largely down to taking what was on offer rather than anything else. Likewise with Dallas who was quite clearly not up to it.

AWMSC

Agree with all of that. Gaston had been on a decent run of form and didn't deserve to lose his place; McCrorie had some good games and some dodgy ones which over the piece didn't really give us more than Gaston would have.

I still suspect that the signing was largely down to taking what was on offer rather than anything else. Likewise with Dallas who was quite clearly not up to it.

We had 2 managers last season. Both came in and replaced Gaston.

Not the first times he has lost his place either over the years - Caraux, McNeil, Adam.

They were entirely correct in trying to upgrade on Gaston and binning him for this season was also correct.

The replacement on the other hand is a whole different story.

We had 2 managers last season. Both came in and replaced Gaston.

Not the first times he has lost his place either over the years - Caraux, McNeil, Adam.

They were entirely correct in trying to upgrade on Gaston and binning him for this season was also correct.

The replacement on the other hand is a whole different story.

Was Gaston actually binned?

I thought we had offered him terms but he wanted to go part-time and declined.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived