League Opener - Morton Vs Qots - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

League Opener - Morton Vs Qots

Apart from the fact that that midfield trio is probably the best trio In the league...

Our problem is defensive and up front

We'll see.  Chris Millar has clearly lost some of the mobility he had, as you would expect of a 35 year old - that'll be the reason St Johnstone let him go.  Jim McAlister also not as mobile as he used to be... and although he has always been a very good footballer, Tidser also lacks mobility.

I think this will cause us problems, with some teams running over the top of us in midfield... I hope I'm wrong. 

Do agree that the central defence looks dodgy... and no team is going to achieve much with McHugh/Oliver starting.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They looked ****ing disgusting, swimming in grease.

**** buying any food at Cappielow this season.

Agreed

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

We'll see. Chris Millar has clearly lost some of the mobility he had, as you would expect of a 35 year old - that'll be the reason St Johnstone let him go. Jim McAlister also not as mobile as he used to be... and although he has always been a very good footballer, Tidser also lacks mobility.

I think this will cause us problems, with some teams running over the top of us in midfield... I hope I'm wrong.

Do agree that the central defence looks dodgy... and no team is going to achieve much with McHugh/Oliver starting.

I know it'll be hard as it comes so naturally to you, but stop talking shite.

McAlister hasn't really got going yet but you can see in flashes what he can do, and Millar and Tidser have been excellent. We could maybe do with another option if we're playing with the three, but it's really not an area of the team to worry about.

The full-backs were decent, although more so McKeown than Tumility who had some poor touches but done well mostly l. Buchanan looks like he'll be good and seems to be a bit of an all-rounder, but Kilday looked nervy and indecisive throughout. You'd have to imagine Waddell is better.

We need to get Telfer on the ball more, thought he showed signs that he can be a big player for us even though he wasn't necessarily at the centre of the action all the time. His injury and subsequent departure had a significant impact on the game and underlined one of the big dangers we could face over the course, i.e., injuries to key players. The same goes for Maclean, who topped his display off with a really nice goal.

The wheels really do come off with McHugh though. He just doesn't offer anything at all: he's not very fast and makes matters worse by being so flat-footed and never being in the right place, his touch isn't great, he isn't an aerial threat...you get the drift. Early on we had a number of balls into the box from the right and he was never attacking the spaces he should have been and after a while it seemed like we gave up on that tactic; equally, there were a few chances to get at their 12, none of which were really taken. If you want your team to play possession football, you really need a forward that offers good movement and link-up play to make spaces and allow Tidser and Telfer to push on; without that the ball is going to struggle to get into the final third.

Disappointing to lose two fairly cheap goals after going ahead, but nonetheless there's signs that we're on the right track and the areas that need fixed either in terms of personnel or approach are obvious enough too. If we can get another forward and a wider player, the squad will look a lot better.

Oliver or Bell in for McHugh for next week, Waddell for Kilday and we should secure a comfortable win.

AWMSC

McLean came off injured as opposed to telfer.

Telfer was struggling for quite a while before he came off. Took a knock and didn't seem to move freely after.

Edit: Although I think I might have got the timings the wrong way round...either way, the two changes done us no favours.

AWMSC

Telfer was struggling for quite a while before he came off. Took a knock and didn't seem to move freely after.

Edit: Although I think I might have got the timings the wrong way round...either way, the two changes done us no favours.

Agreed. Telfer done the same at Thistle away. Looks like cramp of the like.

We definitely showed some really tidy play in flashes, but chucking two goals away like we did is not acceptable. A point on the board nonetheless, which is more than can be said for the gormless losers from Maryhill

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I know it'll be hard as it comes so naturally to you, but stop talking s***e.

McAlister hasn't really got going yet but you can see in flashes what he can do, and Millar and Tidser have been excellent. We could maybe do with another option if we're playing with the three, but it's really not an area of the team to worry about.

Tidser had a very good game. Millar had a decent first half, and like several others, really struggled in the last 30 mins. He's clearly slower than he was last time around at Cappielow, which is natural. He certainly wasn't 'excellent' today... in my opinion.

My first look at the new-look Morton side today, and we look ok... some positives, some glaring weaknesses.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

We'll see. Chris Millar has clearly lost some of the mobility he had, as you would expect of a 35 year old - that'll be the reason St Johnstone let him go. Jim McAlister also not as mobile as he used to be... and although he has always been a very good footballer, Tidser also lacks mobility.

Absolutely no way you hope you’re wrong.

Surprised no one else has mentioned, what I thought was a stonewall penalty in the first half, very similar to last weeks.

The only people in the ground who 'missed' the penalty were the officials. Overall poor performance from them.

Crowd definitely seemed higher than what was announced as well.

Thought the same but then I guess they know how many single tickets they have sold and prob just add this number to season tickets sold.

1800 odd for us was a wee bit disappointing!

There were definitely positives yesterday and I really don’t think we are far away from having a decent side. We moved the ball well at times and looked to play through a stuffy Queens side in the first half especially. Tidser was excellent again and we are definitely reaping the benefits of not only playing a midfield three, but having more intelligent players around him as well. Millar, in the first half especially, kept us ticking over well and generally used the ball well. McAlister had a quiet game and should have done better in the lead up to the equaliser.

For all we moved the ball around well in the first half, QOTS could quite easily have went in at half time 2-0 up. While our defensive shape is looking much better than last season, a lack of defensive cohesion is our most pressing concern. The two centre backs didn’t look comfortable yesterday. I think Buchanan was far more culpable for that than Kilday was, although Kilday wasn’t brilliant either. I’m beginning to fear that Kilday will never recover properly from that injury and won’t be the same player. McKeown starting yesterday also gives a clear indication of how McKinnon feels about Iredale.

Our lack of depth in midfield could cost us massively this year. Millar, McAlister and Tidser are all excellent players at this level, but we can’t play with the intensity of the first half for 90 minutes every week with these three in the middle. That needs rectified otherwise we could easily see more leads being thrown away after controlling the game for 60-70 minutes.

McHugh is shite.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

There were definitely positives yesterday and I really don’t think we are far away from having a decent side. We moved the ball well at times and looked to play through a stuffy Queens side in the first half especially. Tidser was excellent again and we are definitely reaping the benefits of not only playing a midfield three, but having more intelligent players around him as well. Millar, in the first half especially, kept us ticking over well and generally used the ball well. McAlister had a quiet game and should have done better in the lead up to the equaliser.

For all we moved the ball around well in the first half, QOTS could quite easily have went in at half time 2-0 up. While our defensive shape is looking much better than last season, a lack of defensive cohesion is our most pressing concern. The two centre backs didn’t look comfortable yesterday. I think Buchanan was far more culpable for that than Kilday was, although Kilday wasn’t brilliant either. I’m beginning to fear that Kilday will never recover properly from that injury and won’t be the same player. McKeown starting yesterday also gives a clear indication of how McKinnon feels about Iredale.

Our lack of depth in midfield could cost us massively this year. Millar, McAlister and Tidser are all excellent players at this level, but we can’t play with the intensity of the first half for 90 minutes every week with these three in the middle. That needs rectified otherwise we could easily see more leads being thrown away after controlling the game for 60-70 minutes.

McHugh is s***e.

Agree re the midfield. Murdoch would compliment the others so well. A big mistake allowing him to leave.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

"Performance was good for long spells"...

"Lots of positives"

" Boys played well today"

Mmmmm.... 3 shots in 90 minutes would say otherwise!

I like Ray, but completely disagree with him on this one!!

"Lots of positives"

Only having 3 shots in 90 mins doesn't mean we didn't play well. 

The performance was good in spells - needs polished clearly and a striker added that can back up Denny. 

There are positives to take from it. 

A work in progress no doubt. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

"Lots of positives"

I kind of see where you are coming from here, but we did play well in spells. Despite McHugh not being able to make the ball stick up front, we kept the ball well in spells and our midfield's range of passing was excellent. McKinnon's interview wasn't really anything other than what could be expected. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Archived