Championship 2018-19 Thread - Page 60 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2018-19 Thread

Doubt it. I’d say buying a season ticket, doing the occasional hospitality and buying tops is more than enough money going to Morton when I’ve also got a family.

Aye, this. The fact that the Rae family haven't been able to do as basic a thing as sell strips just isn't good enough.

AWMSC

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To sum up, the Raes get to spend their company's money on Morton over the years, badly, and at the end of it they're not only entitled to get it all back, but also benefit from the equity of the club ownership all that time, as well as intangible benefits such as local goodwill.

Their (?) bright idea now is for fans to pay for their inability to make anything of ownership, and in exchange for this the fans get... what?

I'm not particularly left-wing but stuff like this makes me want to grab a pitchfork and seize the nearest means of production. The Raes got the club into this mess and they need to get it out of it, morally if not legally.

EOho8Pw.png

Aye, this. The fact that the Rae family haven't been able to do as basic a thing as sell strips just isn't good enough.

They've sold more stirps in the last few seasons then the club has ever done in the past.

They've sold more stirps in the last few seasons then the club has ever done in the past.

That might be true, but they got £35 from me for that retro top through luck, not any advertising they done. You’d think the first place you’d hear about new releases would be an official club outlet, but I saw a picture of it on someone’s FB the week before I went on holiday and thought I’d get it for going away, I’m barely ever in Smiths so would’ve known nothing about it. Do we even have a commercial department nowadays?

Really? With the Vandanel sagas? The quality of the most merch has been terrible for years, only half decent stuff was the Bukta trackies.

This 1874 stuff is tacky nonsense, it's like the stuff you used to get in the Forum.

AWMSC

And Season tickets which should be something to build on. Wait until next season, 50% drop.

To sum up, the Raes get to spend their company's money on Morton over the years, badly, and at the end of it they're not only entitled to get it all back, but also benefit from the equity of the club ownership all that time, as well as intangible benefits such as local goodwill.

Their (?) bright idea now is for fans to pay for their inability to make anything of ownership, and in exchange for this the fans get... what?

I'm not particularly left-wing but stuff like this makes me want to grab a pitchfork and seize the nearest means of production. The Raes got the club into this mess and they need to get it out of it, morally if not legally.

Great post.

*insert signature here*

Nope, I'm not joking. Thta's what a lot of other fans are doing right now at other clubs in Scotland.

And it's absolutely tragic at those clubs as well. Can imagine the boards around Scotland dreaming up "incentives" to get even more money from idiots.
MORTON - NEWCASTLE

Really? With the Vandanel sagas? The quality of the most merch has been terrible for years, only half decent stuff was the Bukta trackies.

This 1874 stuff is tacky nonsense, it's like the stuff you used to get in the Forum.

Watching the Falkirk games recently and on TV last night and seeing they had a major kit manufacturer, Puma, and a design which mas unique to themselves made me think why Morton couldn't have the same?

This maybe something which is vastly overlooked when it comes to attracting young players at this level, the quality of sports clothing that they are expected to work in - everyone would trust the quality of an Adidas, Nike or Puma against something branded as '1874' or 'Cappielow Collection'.

*insert signature here*

Watching the Falkirk games recently and on TV last night and seeing they had a major kit manufacturer, Puma, and a design which mas unique to themselves made me think why Morton couldn't have the same?

This maybe something which is vastly overlooked when it comes to attracting young players at this level, the quality of sports clothing that they are expected to work in - everyone would trust the quality of an Adidas, Nike or Puma against something branded as '1874' or 'Cappielow Collection'.

Because they have a proper commercial department.

I tell you what we are bigger than? Hamilton Accies and Livingston. There's 2 for starters. I'm sick of the attitude of you and your ilk. Say who you are and stop hiding behind your username. Morton are the biggest underachievers in Scottish football and people like you have contributed to that with your pathetic attitude to the club we love. Go **** yourself.

From this division I’d also argue we’re bigger than Ayr and QOTS in terms of attendances, certainly Alloa. But, as Hamilton and Livi have proven it is about the 11 players on the pitch. Talking of attendances though, we managed over 6k vs Peterhead in 2015, certainly when there’s a chance for success the fans turn out.

The question is, what exactly are we doing to encourage these fans to Cappielow every week and not just the big games? Crawford’s timing of announcing his financial plans is typical Morton, right before we get dragged into a relegation dogfight. We have been in a steady decline as a club for years and the negativity that comes from the board every other season does us absolutely no favours. I don’t blame Crawford for abandoning the 3 year plan as he couldn’t have factored in King Snake’s behaviour, but we need to look beyond 3 years for Morton, not just taking a financial gamble on a 3 year window in the hope that we go up. What was the plan if/ when we failed to go up?

We need to be far more pro active with the fans, we have over 1000 season ticket holders this year and we are doing hee haw at board level to encourage positivity for next season. When things go against us, the heads go down and all of a sudden we have a lack of updates from the website, stop making highlights and the board warns fans about going part time or similar. No incentives for fans to buy into, just doom and gloom.

One highlight of this season has been InverAlly on the Tannoy, who makes the effort with half time interviews and updates. We need more guys like him and Jonathan Mitchell who can actually use their own initiative to try and generate positivity around the club.

Nah, 9SBC comes across as a bit of a bellend, but he also comes across as far more intelligent than the bold Danny.

Only trying to get some serious debate going on about the future of the club. I know getting serious on here is a bit of stretch as the usual suspects then bring down the tone of the discussion to their own level.

But if we really want a successful club then we need to look at all the options for the future and stop looking at and pointing the finger at the Rae's mismanagement over the last 19 or so years. You can't turn back the clock.   

I'm not a bellend. :crying:

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

@OneCornetto

I don’t disagree with a lot of that but there’s an inconsistency between the ‘steady decline’ argument and key facts like our greatly improved season ticket numbers and historically quite decent attendances for this level. The real problem is that with a lack of direction the club fails to follow up on the progress that has been made recently. Taking half measures and then chucking it has been the club’s M.O across the board.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I tell you what we are bigger than? Hamilton Accies and Livingston. There's 2 for starters. I'm sick of the attitude of you and your ilk. Say who you are and stop hiding behind your username. Morton are the biggest underachievers in Scottish football and people like you have contributed to that with your pathetic attitude to the club we love. Go **** yourself.

What's your definition of bigger when it comes to football clubs?

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Given that you reckon that 2,000 people are going to shell out a tenner a month to take over GC’s shan subsidy role, the only person needing a serious reality check here is yourself.

And you have your own solution as to how the make the club sustainable and get us into Premiership?

Only trying to get some serious debate going on about the future of the club. I know getting serious on here is a bit of stretch as the usual suspects then bring down the tone of the discussion to their own level.

But if we really want a successful club then we need to look at all the options for the future and stop looking at and pointing the finger at the Rae's mismanagement over the last 19 or so years. You can't turn back the clock.

I'm not a bellend. :crying:

Except your appearances on here are generally reserved for times that an opportunity to put the boot into the board arises. That strikes me as calculated and agenda driven rather than an innocent attempt to create healthy debate.

Anyway, you’ve not answered my question- who are you?

And you have your own solution as to how the make the club sustainable and get us into Premiership?

Yours isn’t actually a ‘solution’ because the sums don’t stand up to even a moment’s scrutiny. And I’m afraid that we don’t dish out gold stars for effort either.

I’ve consistently argued that clubs like Morton would benefit from scouting in eastern Europe - for all Scottish football clubs and agents plead poverty, the basic economics mean that comparable and better quality players are available there for a lower cost. Just two years ago the champions of the Slovak second tier went bust and all of their players on two bob wages became free agents: instead of taking advantage of this, Morton like every other gormless Championship club spent the summer squabbling over Aberdeen, Celtic etc.’s castoffs, waited on whatever crap ringers would be sent up from England and, under Iron Man’s great plan, also hoped that Braeside would suddenly produce the next great Ajax side.

Morton have typically pushed forward on the park by innovative transfer policies that look to new markets, from the original Scandinavian imports to Lindberg and Rajamaki. With some but not exactly an onerous investment in scouting abroad the club could do so again right now.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

@OneCornetto

I don’t disagree with a lot of that but there’s an inconsistency between the ‘steady decline’ argument and key facts like our greatly improved season ticket numbers and historically quite decent attendances for this level. The real problem is that with a lack of direction the club fails to follow up on the progress that has been made recently. Taking half measures and then chucking it has been the club’s M.O across the board.

Agreed, the 3 year plan is mainly what brought about the increase in ST holders, which was always a gamble and could have been seen as something to buy into at the time, but we need to be able to adapt to change. It always felt like this was the last throw of the dice and we hadn’t considered what would happen if it didn’t work out. We need to plan further ahead. From what JJ and McKinnon said when they joined they were excited with the plans and ambition for the club so I hope they weren’t just referring to the next 3 years.

Yours isn’t actually a ‘solution’ because the sums don’t stand up to even a moment’s scrutiny. And I’m afraid that we don’t dish out gold stars for effort either.

I’ve consistently argued that clubs like Morton would benefit from scouting in eastern Europe - for all Scottish football clubs and agents plead poverty, the basic economics mean that comparable and better quality players are available there for a lower cost. Just two years ago the champions of the Slovak second tier went bust and all of their players on two bob wages became free agents: instead of taking advantage of this, Morton like every other gormless Championship club spent the summer squabbling over Aberdeen, Celtic etc.’s castoffs, waited on whatever crap ringers would be sent up from England and, under Iron Man’s great plan, also hoped that Braeside would suddenly produce the next great Ajax side.

Morton have typically pushed forward on the park by innovative transfer policies that look to new markets, from the original Scandinavian imports to Lindberg and Rajamaki. With some but not exactly an onerous investment in scouting abroad the club could do so again right now.

And neither is yours.

Archived