The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 45 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

It's a fair comment. He only has a good reputation because of the hype generated from the high profile transfer/compensation saga that resulted from his move to United from Rangers. He hasn't actually achieved anything in his playing career. The reaction on here would be overwhelmingly negative if we'd signed some guy who only managed 8 games for the 27th best Scottish team.

Hardly much of a difference between their league and ours. We had pretty much exactly the same average attendance as Almere City last season (edit: ours was actually 300 higher). The overall average attendance for the two leagues is similar. Good reason to believe it's of a similar standard of football.

And what was the fan reaction to all of those signings? Unbridled joy and excitement? Obviously not. The scepticism here is more than fair. People are basing their excitement on his reputation as an 18 year old(5 years ago), and not what he's showcased as a professional since.

Hardly. Lamie, Bachirou and Tidser were met with a wall of people saying "who?". They certainly weren't greeted with "delighted" people calling it a "high calibre signing", because unlike Telfer they hadn't had a wall of hype generated about them as a teenager. Struggling to 8 games with Almere City doesn't sounds like high calibre to me. I'll stick with my original thoughts of "meh", the exact same reaction I would've had when we signed Tidser, Lamie and Bachirou. 

Not really that much is it when you're about to turn 23 and entering your 5th season as a professional. Especially considering only around 60 of them are starts. Mark Russell is an age group younger and has double the number of starts. 

No it wasn't, 28 total games, well under half of his career appearances. 18 starts in the Premier League across two seasons. 13 of which came in 14/15. So that means he's started (at most)46 games over the past 3 seasons, at Championship/Dutch 2nd tier level. Trying to paint him as an experienced pro is just false.

Except, I'm not trying to do that at all, nor did I say half his appearances were in the SPL. I said half of his time as a professional were there...which actually isn't true as I had somehow managed to forget about Rangers' demise, but it doesn't alter the argument too much. They were still paying good money to players and it wasn't easy for a young boy to break into the team, so it's hardly a sign of a failure that he wasn't playing 20/30 games a season; he then moved to the SPL for a decent fee (compensation or otherwise) and notched up 25 appearances for a team that finished 5th, which you seem to be totally dismissing. The following season Dundee United were relegated and he didn't play much, but again, not exactly a huge black mark against a young player if they're not getting a game for a big club embroiled in a relegation battle. The season after that he played under McKinnon in a team that were comfortably better than Morton over the season. Dunno what happened in Holland, but I don't see that experience as something to hold against him either.

I have no idea if he's any good or not, but it's really not a worry that a 22 year old who's been at better teams than Morton his entire career has less games than Mark Russell, and especially not when he's played under the manager at this level. 

AWMSC

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah agreed.

The fact that we have no articles on our main site covering the players who have left for example is nuts. 

It's the first port of a call for fans these days( at least it should be) and exclusive stories should come from that first. How many Morton fans actually buy the Tele? Their website will update a day or so later which is no use to anyone!

The article posted on here said only that The Telegraph 'understands' that Murdoch will leave - unless I've missed a follow-up, the newspaper haven't even confirmed it themselves yet, never mind the club. The Tele usually has a solid enough line to the club to be trustworthy but it was a bit of a bizarrely written article in the first place: perhaps they were working to a deadline or let the office tea boy get carried away again thinking he'd become the next Pulitzer. I wouldn't be to surprised if they had to bin their story tbh. 

I've been getting the impression for a while that the Tele doesn't know anything anybody else doesn't these days. An awful lot of "reports" and "understanding" going on rather than any sort of official statements or exclusives.

AWMSC

Guest mcintyre_gmfc93

With the amount of CM’s we’ll have I can’t see Langan getting much of a chance.

I think he primarily plays centre half with the reserves mate.

You just have to trust the manager at this stage. He said himself he had a clean slate to build the team he wants to play the system he wants. He's certainly doing that, and whilst i cant say i agree with everything so far, im willing to put my faith in him for now. There will be no hiding place for him if he makes an arse of it. Im beginning to feel very optimistic about his appointment.

I do reserve the right to be screaming for his head if we aren't safely in a playoff position by Christmas though.

Oh and Tidser starting on the bench wouldn't be the worst thing.

I want a pretentious signature too.

I think he primarily plays centre half with the reserves mate.

Does he? I never knew that.

I only seen the development squad play twice last season but he played cm both times. And he came on at cm for the first team too didn't he?

Hardly. Lamie, Bachirou and Tidser were met with a wall of people saying "who?"

Can't agree that was the case with tidser, as I remember being pretty intrigued by his signing.

IIRC he was captain of the celtic development team before we signed him, so I was interested to see how he'd get on with us and was happy with his signing.

Guest mcintyre_gmfc93

Does he? I never knew that.

I only seen the development squad play twice last season but he played cm both times. And he came on at cm for the first team too didn't he?

Yeah. He's played a lot in the middle of the park but mostly played at centre half.

Hardly. Lamie, Bachirou and Tidser were met with a wall of people saying "who?"

Can't agree that was the case with tidser, as I remember being pretty intrigued by his signing.

IIRC he was captain of the celtic development team before we signed him, so I was interested to see how he'd get on with us and was happy with his signing.

He had been released by Celtic and was playing for Ostersunds in Sweden I'm sure it was, at a time when Ostersunds were in the Swedish Lower leagues and not getting through Europa League group stages.

If it wasn't Ostersunds it was some other suitably small Swedish team.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

ame="JLTON" post="1093861" timestamp="1528826459"]

He had been released by Celtic and was playing for Ostersunds in Sweden I'm sure it was, at a time when Ostersunds were in the Swedish Lower leagues and not getting through Europa League group stages.

If it wasn't Ostersunds it was some other suitably small Swedish team.

Aye. Back when we were taking their players not the other way around.

I've been getting the impression for a while that the Tele doesn't know anything anybody else doesn't these days. An awful lot of "reports" and "understanding" going on rather than any sort of official statements or exclusives.

Now that the club have a Media and Communications Officer, it's reduced the role the Tele can play as a liaison between the club and the fans. That, combined with the rise in social media, means that the Tele is no longer fit for purpose in terms of keeping fans up-to-date. Match reports and the letters page is fine, but for transfer news and the like it's outmoded by Twitter. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Now that the club have a Media and Communications Officer, it's reduced the role the Tele can play as a liaison between the club and the fans. That, combined with the rise in social media, means that the Tele is no longer fit for purpose in terms of keeping fans up-to-date. Match reports and the letters page is fine, but for transfer news and the like it's outmoded by Twitter.

The only reason to still have this agreement would be if Morton were making some money out of it. That said, if the Tele were to have exclusives on players etc then they should be announced immediately rather than waiting longer than necessary. The way we've found out about the likes of Doyle and Forbes has been pretty disappointing, no best wishes for the future, thanking them for their efforts etc as it's not been direct from the club.

The only reason to still have this agreement would be if Morton were making some money out of it. That said, if the Tele were to have exclusives on players etc then they should be announced immediately rather than waiting longer than necessary. The way we've found out about the likes of Doyle and Forbes has been pretty disappointing, no best wishes for the future, thanking them for their efforts etc as it's not been direct from the club.

Indeed. I'd like to think that this transfer window will be a learning curve for the staff at Cappielow with producing consistent, timely content. This off season in particular, with a manager change and a complete squad overhaul, should have been an ideal time to have a consistent and quality stream of content to both keep the club in the spotlight and advertise an excellent season ticket price. So far this season that has not happened. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Archived