Sir Jim Of Duffy - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Sir Jim Of Duffy

TheGoon

Surprise surprise Moany McMoanerface jumps in to put the worst possible spin on Duffy's intentions. We did not make simultaneous offers to Birmingham and Fleetwood.

BAD.

I reckon you'll reach the magical 1000 by Christmas, Red. You have to be a special kind of arsehole to manage such a feat. Definitely one to tell your imaginary chums at the Emirates. Well done.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that Duffy deserves a lot of the credit for bringing through Jai but at the same time it's not controversial to say that there were budgetary reasons for starting him. But I don't think that's a criticism of Duffy either. Necessity is the mother of invention, and if he saw a role for Jai that turned out to suit him, surely that's a point in his favor.

EOho8Pw.png

Whether or not it was accident or design, Jai's move to striker has been a masterstroke. Last season when he was playing on the left, he looked a decent player but ineffective (bit like Bobby Barr in a way). However as a striker his strength and skill coupled to pace are giving opposing defenders a lot of trouble. Long time since we had a striker of this type. Like a supercharged Billy Osborne crossed with Bobby Thomson.

Based on recent interviews, it was certainly by design.

Whether or not it was accident or design, Jai's move to striker has been a masterstroke.  Last season when he was playing on the left, he looked a decent player but ineffective (bit like Bobby Barr in a way).  However as a striker his strength and skill coupled to pace are giving opposing defenders a lot of trouble.  Long time since we had a striker of this type.  Like a supercharged Billy Osborne crossed with Bobby Thomson.

Yep, very true. I think you'd have to say it was by design that he eventually lined up there, even if the squad didn't end up the way Jim wanted it to it was still his decision to put Jai there. But it's clear that Jai regards himself as a striker.

EOho8Pw.png

He has been in the game 40 fkn years, he knows what a player can do, even if you can't. This is the Problem with Duffy haters, they can't actually go the distance and say he's the man, no matter how many times he proves it.

I think Duffy's a beautiful human being, but I don't believe he had him in mind as a striker when the season started. Even McDonagh was getting a game up front ahead of him in pre-season.

Based on recent interviews, it was certainly by design.

I cannae keep up these days. Where abouts are these interviews?

We finished (a very distant) 5th in last season's division and are currently 7th in this one. The time for making such a claim will be once we start punching above our weight in the league, not based on a cup run alone.

Just saw this - I think finishing a distant 5th for a newly promoted team is not half fucking bad, personally.

EOho8Pw.png

He has been in the game 40 fkn years, he knows what a player can do, even if you can't. 

That would be why he signed ringers like Jordan Allan, Andy Barrowman, David McNeil, Jamie McCluskey, Stefan Milojevic, Robbie Crawford, Frank McKeown, Romario Sabajo then. That's the thing with happy-clappers: as soon as a run of good results come together, they insist that the manager's decision-making is infallible (it's not), that his transfer policies have come to fruition (they didn't), that his record is fantastic (it's still not really) and that fans should shut up and eat their cereal (not going to happen). And in the event of the team losing, say, another three games, the same folk will be shrieking for the manager's removal: which we've seen happen once already this season at the Ayr game.

Try dialing back your manic approval/disapproval and evaluate the facts instead. We started very poorly in the league off the back of a horrendously depleted squad, in part caused by a dreadful summer's dealings in the transfer window. We've seen a marked improvement in recent weeks (helped by our signings after the transfer window closed) which has led to us having an average first quarter. The cup run is a standout achievement. Mounting a credible challenge for the fourth play-off spot would be a sign of genuine progress looking at the league as it stands, but that takes more work and less giving it the big licks while being behind dung like Ayr United.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I think Duffy's a beautiful human being, but I don't believe he had him in mind as a striker when the season started. Even McDonagh was getting a game up front ahead of him in pre-season.

I can't remember where it was. It was something about Duffy seeing something in Jai as a striker rather than a winger. Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Duffy expected him to be our main striker this season, but that he saw him longer term as a forward rather than a winger.

I'll have a look to see if I can find it.

I can't remember where it was. It was something about Duffy seeing something in Jai as a striker rather than a winger. Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Duffy expected him to be our main striker this season, but that he saw him longer term as a forward rather than a winger.

I'll have a look to see if I can find it.

Fair enough, I hadn't read anything about that.

Just saw this - I think finishing a distant 5th for a newly promoted team is not half ****ing bad, personally.

I didn't say it was bad, but it's not a major achievement either. We're not Dumbarton or Brechin City and went up with a budget that should have got us a midtable finish: we outperformed Queen of the South on a likely similar budget to ourselves, underperformed against Raith and took advantage of Saint Mirren's hilarious failure. It was a solid, B-grade season: nothing to complain about, but not one that would give me sleepless nights wondering about how any other manager could possibly repeat that feat. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That would be why he signed ringers like Jordan Allan, Andy Barrowman, David McNeil, Jamie McCluskey, Stefan Milojevic, Robbie Crawford, Frank McKeown, Romario Sabajo then. That's the thing with happy-clappers: as soon as a run of good results come together, they insist that the manager's decision-making is infallible (it's not), that his transfer policies have come to fruition (they didn't), that his record is fantastic (it's still not really) and that fans should shut up and eat their cereal (not going to happen). And in the event of the team losing, say, another three games, the same folk will be shrieking for the manager's removal: which we've seen happen once already this season at the Ayr game.

Try dialing back your manic approval/disapproval and evaluate the facts instead. We started very poorly in the league off the back of a horrendously depleted squad, in part caused by a dreadful summer's dealings in the transfer window. We've seen a marked improvement in recent weeks (helped by our signings after the transfer window closed) which has led to us having an average first quarter. The cup run is a standout achievement. Mounting a credible challenge for the fourth play-off spot would be a sign of genuine progress looking at the league as it stands, but that takes more work and less giving it the big licks while being behind dung like Ayr United.

Strange that because you are quoted as saying Milojevic was our best defender at a time when our current club captain was there. Did you forget that?

You also said Ross Caldwell was the League's best striker when McManus was here. You have had nightmares on Kilday, Lamie, Oware, McDonagh, Denny (yes fkn Denny), Oliver, Forbes and many more while telling us that Mark Millar was the only enforcer in town and of course Stevie Aitken and Ian Murray were just the best.

I couldn't have been any clearer from the outset on Duffy, a top manager and destined for bigger gigs.

You, however, while very able to construct a sentence, have football knowledge up there with Sally McNair.

Fair enough, I hadn't read anything about that.

Haven't been able to find it, but I did find an interview with Duffy in pre-season where he lists Jai among his options on the wing. So I've only managed to find evidence to contradict what I said so far  :unsure:

It was something about having played on the wing but Duffy seeing something in him - his strength and pace, I think - as a striker. Who knows, maybe I dreamt it...

The debate on Duffy will no doubt continue but like all managers he'll be judged on league performances. Last season was pretty successful but we routinely failed against the top 4 (often due to the managers unwillingness to address obvious problems during the game).

This season has been a real mixed bag with a great result against Queens and good results against Raith and the Pars mixed with poor performances against the Skunks, Ayr and a proper horsing against a very decent Hibs side. Hopefully the current good run of form will continue and a youngish side will gain confidence from very good league cup performances.

Time will tell whether Duffy can push on and break in to a play off spot and that will really be an achievement. Until then the jury is out and his ascension to God's annointed is a wee bit premature.

The other move that Duffy made was to play McDonagh at RB, due to injuries rather than a deliberate strategy I suspect.  In the games I have seen with him playing there, he actually looked quite competent.  Maybe another astute move by Duffy, who seems actually to be a good judge of a player's abilities, at least after he has had the chance to work with them for a while, if not always before he signs them.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Mounting a credible challenge for the fourth play-off spot would be a sign of genuine progress looking at the league as it stands, but that takes more work and less giving it the big licks while being behind dung like Ayr United.

Totally agree with this.

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

He has been in the game 40 fkn years, he knows what a player can do, even if you can't. This is the Problem with Duffy haters, they can't actually go the distance and say he's the man, no matter how many times he proves it.

What gorgeous Deego said!

Duffy signing some poor players only becomes a valid point to beat him with if top managers had a 100% success rate of signing players, which of course no manager does.

He's done everything asked of him time and time again. Not only that but he has handled himself with absolute class at all times, despite a significant number of fans criticising him over his time at the club. I've been even more impressed with him as a person than I have been as a manager.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived