Morton V Livingston - Page 17 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton V Livingston

LinwoodTON

I agree with you to an extent Gary.  The last few seasons have seen a bulk of very average players, with a few technically gifted exceptions (Shimmin, Craig Reid, Imrie, Fred, Peaso etc.).  I actually think you need to go back to around 2004/05, when we had the John Maisano, Miller, Spoonsy, McAllister, McLaren etc. for when I last thought we played decent football.

You know the more I look back at it, the more I actually think that there is a dire requirement for what I would term to be some genuinely exciting players in our squad, someone that runs at his man, real frightening pace that gets people excited or can take a dangerous set piece.  We don't have that anymore, there is not one player in that squad who I look forward to seeing play individually.

Reid gifted exceptions eh?!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I actually thought Craig Reid was a very decent player, who could not only defend but could actually play football as well, probably the reason he left our sinking ship to go play in the SPL.  If you would prefer someone like Kilday in your team, or think he is a better footballer, then your off your rocker in my humble opinion.

VT I agree with you on the adoption of styles & philosophy that just don't work with the standard of players in Scotland.  Look at Kenny Shiels unmitigated disaster of trying to establish a quick passing style & no long balls strategy during his time here, the players simply weren't good enough to do it (or most weren't)

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

Yep, I actually thought Craig Reid was a very decent player, who could not only defend but could actually play football as well, probably the reason he left our sinking ship to go play in the SPL.  If you would prefer someone like Kilday in your team, or think he is a better footballer, then your off your rocker in my humble opinion.

VT I agree with you on the adoption of styles & philosophy that just don't work with the standard of players in Scotland.  Look at Kenny Shiels unmitigated disaster of trying to establish a quick passing style & no long balls strategy during his time here, the players simply weren't good enough to do it (or most weren't)

That was torture. The panic on every player's face when the ball was rolled out from goal. People started turning their backs in case they got a pass.

We could barely reach the haff-way line before we lost the ball.

These were the worst games I ever watched.

... proud to be apart from the groupthink tree ...

Don't think it's only Spain, to be honest.

Belgium are currently number 1 in the FIFA rankings which is quite incredible for a country of only 8m people. 

So what are they doing right? It must be either starting early in the schools (like the Dutch used to do), or no computer games for kids, or decent weather, or lousy tv. And if they can do it, why can't we; there could be half a dozen mini-Hazards down at the Battery Park for all we know.

... proud to be apart from the groupthink tree ...

So what are they doing right? It must be either starting early in the schools (like the Dutch used to do), or no computer games for kids, or decent weather, or lousy tv. And if they can do it, why can't we; there could be half a dozen mini-Hazards down at the Battery Park for all we know.

Everyone has computer games, TV, etc. It's typical stupid Scottish solipsism to act like this is a factor. It isn't.

Anyway, the Belgian 'golden generation' has been hugely overstated, in my view. It could be the case that, like Germany, the current crop needs 2-3 tournaments to really hit its peak, but I don't think that's really going to happen. Nonetheless this is quite an interesting article:

It is interesting that at one point he says 'let them play freely' as a solution, maybe vindicating some of the people on this thread who want a more expressive style of youth football. Certainly close control and technique are things that take longer to master than, for example, the ability to run in straight lines for 90 minutes. There definitely needs to be an emphasis on technique in training because, frankly, for the tiny percentage of youth footballers with serious and realistic (both are necessary, neither alone is sufficient) aspirations of professionalism, fitness is a must anyway. If youth footballers are working on fitness and running around as most of their training, you're going to have a bad time. The idea of national centres for training, rather than letting clubs or (worse) schools do it, is perhaps one that bears scrutiny in this regard.

Constant, near-constant touching of the ball, close control ('wee pitches like Ajax', as Scottish coaches like to say), the constant striving for better technique, disciplined marking - if we're not doing enough of that we'll never produce top players.

As it stands I would tell the parents of any player of serious talent - as in, the kind of talent that even at the age of 9 stands out (look up videos of Andres Iniesta's first youth tournament for Barcelona sometime, it is very instructive) as a future pro - to get out of Scotland at the first opportunity and go to Spain or Germany. Easier said than done, of course. Andy Murray threw a tantrum as a teenager and the family (rich enough to do so with little more than a shrug) decamped to Spain to aid his development and the results speak for themselves.

(Side note: while it's certainly not a deciding factor, large-scale immigration, particularly from north and sub-Saharan Africa, tends to help a European country's football prospects significantly.)

EOho8Pw.png

I didn't mention Kilday

I don't think you can rate Reid as technically gifted. A good defender nothing more

I don't think you can rate Reid as technically gifted. A good defender nothing more

Agreed, but significantly better than most of the haddies we've signed as defenders over the past few years. Can't think of any really good defenders since Dominic Shimmin. Hopefully young Gasparotto stays and continues to develop positively.

Agreed, but significantly better than most of the haddies we've signed as defenders over the past few years. Can't think of any really good defenders since Dominic Shimmin. Hopefully young Gasparotto stays and continues to develop positively.

We've conceded 15 goals in 14 league games, 11 from 13 excluding the Rangers game, which suggests your definition of the defence being made up mostly of 'haddies' is perhaps a bit harsh. I think most of our problems are at the other end, where we're averaging just under 1 goal a game in the league.

With the likes of Barr and Russell to play on the wings and Tidser and Forbes in the middle, there's no reason at all why we shouldn't be a fairly entertaining attacking force, other than Duffy is an incompetent buffoon.

The idea that winning absolutely turgid games is all that matters is nonsense. A season or two of that and there'll be about ten people turning up at each game, if games aren't even remotely entertaining (e.g., barely any goals, relying on free-kicks, penalties etc.) then no-one will watch it and sitting mid-table on a bit of paper isn't going to compensate for that.

Even that is by the by though, in the circumstances. The main point is that we aren't getting anywhere close to the best from the players at our disposal, either individually or collectively.

It's all about results and in that respect The Duff is doing a fine job. As for being an incompetent buffoon, as I've pointed out before, there is a reason that JD has been employed as a football manager for 20 years. If football management was so easy then I'm sure some of the geniuses on here would have been given their chance by now.

While everyone has the right to an opinion, the number of folk on here who think they know better is embarrassing.

TRUST THE DUFF

We've conceded 15 goals in 14 league games, 11 from 13 excluding the Rangers game, which suggests your definition of the defence being made up mostly of 'haddies' is perhaps a bit harsh. I think most of our problems are at the other end, where we're averaging just under 1 goal a game in the league.

Nacho I was thinking over many of the goals we've gifted over the past few seasons rather than just this one. However a quick look at the table suggests that top 3 excepted, no defence is under much threat from championship strikers this season.

Alright maybe technically gifted is a step too far for Reid, but relative to some of the absolute hammer throwers & welly wearers we have had in the team recently at the back, as Taunton mentioned, he is/was a significantly better footballer than most.  Jimbobton, I didn't say you mentioned Kilday at all, was just using him as an example, he is our Captain & leader after all.

Ironically after getting pulled up for saying Reid was techinically gifted by you Nacho, you describe Luca as 'ace', he is good no doubt about it, but Vincent Kompany he is not

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

Nacho I was thinking over many of the goals we've gifted over the past few seasons rather than just this one. However a quick look at the table suggests that top 3 excepted, no defence is under much threat from championship strikers this season.

Not guilty! Although I see both of your points this season. I don't think our defence is weak, but I do think it's having trouble connecting with the midfield. That could be down to tactics as much as anything else.

EOho8Pw.png

It's all about results and in that respect The Duff is doing a fine job. As for being an incompetent buffoon, as I've pointed out before, there is a reason that JD has been employed as a football manager for 20 years.

What were the reasons that saw Jim Duffy resigning as manager of Brechin, then washing up as manager of literally the worst senior side in the country*?

Be extremely specific.

*Including all the senior dross outfits in the non-leagues

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

What were the reasons that saw Jim Duffy resigning as manager of Brechin, then washing up as manager of literally the worst senior side in the country*?

Be extremely specific.

*Including all the senior dross outfits in the non-leagues

Ha! As soon as I saw that comment I'd have put money on you using the words "be extremely specific" in reply so I didn't bother replying myself.

AWMSC

It's fairly common knowledge that JD left Brechin for family reasons. Is it seriously being suggested that we pour over all of that on here? Just stick to what he is doing with us.

Nice try, but that's not actually the case. As can be seen by, erm, Duffy's own interview shortly after failing at Brechin:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/129056-duffy-gone/?hl=%2Bduffy+%2Bbrechin&do=findComment&comment=4476878

Jim Duffy has resigned as manager of Brechin City after 17 months in charge of the Division Two club.

The former Hibernian and Dundee manager replaced Michael O'Neill in January 2009 and guided the club to the First Division play-offs this season.

Brechin lost 3-0 on aggregate to Cowdenbeath in the final.

Duffy told BBC Scotland: "I felt, if I made the decision now, it would let Brechin get a new manager in, which is important for their future."

"It's something I've thought about for the last couple of months," said Duffy.

"I just wanted to get to the end of the season and give everything we had to try and achieve promotion.

"Unfortunately, we fell at the final hurdle.

"I felt it was the right time for myself to try and move on. I don't have anything up my sleeve, but I just felt I had given the part-time situation a go for a couple of seasons and it was a great education for me.

"The club were terrific and the chairman was excellent. I have a good relationship with everyone at the club."

Duffy insisted he would be interested in taking on a more permanent, full-time role at some point in the future but denied he was interested in the vacant managerial position at Morton, or in a return to manage in the Scottish Premier League.

"I haven't applied for any jobs or used contacts to apply for any jobs," said Duffy.

"I've just left Brechin and I have some family issues to deal with over the coming days and months.

"Once those are finished, hopefully, there will be a brighter time around the corner."

Readers who aren't as horrendously thick as EdtheBall will note that Jim Duffy himself cited 'family issues' only in relation to the question of heading straight back into the job market - not as the reason why he parted company with a glorified village social club. And consequently washed up at the worst senior club in the country - presumably for that 'good reason' we are yet to be furnished with.

Thanks for playing anyway.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There is nothing in that article to suggest he left for anything other than family reasons. He felt he had given the part time club ago ands it didn't suit him. He had been thinking about it for a while. He wanted to leave at that point and give the club a chance to get someone in.

He then moves to a club in the central belt, probably in need of employment with the Clyde job coming up in the very season that Rangers were to play in the same division.

Only other way of finding out the real reasons would be to hear from. Brechin and Clyde board members.

Otherwise, going by the evidence available such as this article, there doesn't seem to be any other reason given than a personal decision from Duffy.

A defeat in the play offs is better than Ray McKinnon did and also Michael O'Neill. Two managers whose stock his risen considerably since leaving Brechin.

Archived