Sign in to follow this  
BishopLenBrennan

The Big Transfer Thread 2020

He played a part in a decent run of form for the team. Not been overly impressed either but he's only just turned 22 so I think it's harsh to write him off when he's not played a huge amount of games either.

In our good run of form over the last 10 games of the season he started twice, one of which was our only defeat in that run. You can't simultaneously defend him for contributing to a good run and also defend him for not having played much; it's one or the other.

What worries me here is announcing McHugh is leaving and no one else. Maybe in the circumstances with extending everyone under furlough they don't want to announce which players they're choosing to punt yet whereas McHugh's choosing to leave having been offered something. I hope that's the case, because the alternative is everyone being offered an extension, including Ramsbottom, McGinty, McLean and Muirhead...

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

In our good run of form over the last 10 games of the season he started twice, one of which was our only defeat in that run. You can't simultaneously defend him for contributing to a good run and also defend him for not having played much; it's one or the other.

I'm not really defending either - just saying it's harsh to judge him so will see how next season goes. He's obviously not over impressed but he's no Dylan Dykes.

Sad to see wee Bob leave. He might not have been prolific, but he always chipped in with goals when we needed them.

Not that arsed about McHugh going in all honesty. Despite being our top goal scorer the past 3 seasons there is better out there.

There are strikers available in our wage range than have different attributes to McHugh, but there won't be a more natural finisher than McHugh available at this level. His finishing is Premiership standard, but there are parts of his game that aren't good enough for this level. I was hoping that he would have developed the weaknesses in his game, given the number of starts we gave him, but that didn't happen.

It's also worth noting that McHugh has played in Morton teams that haven't created a great deal of chances. Given the shite service being offered to him, I think McHugh did very well over the duration of his time at Morton. I wish him well, with the usual caveats attached. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Pretty sure I’d read recently that McHugh had trained as a gas and heating engineer. Might now be at that stage of his career that he’ll realise there’s more money to be made doing that with the nice wee top up of part time football. I certainly hope he doesn’t go to Falkirk anyway, I like Bob.

Not seen anyone mention it yet, so I’ll be the first. Not sure he sees the Championship as his level now, but I’d take Stephen McGinn without a second thought.

Might head to Queens Park if thats the case

Might head to Queens Park if thats the case

That was suggested on our group chat, but they’re full time next season. Maybe Dumbarton, Duffy brought him here, so you’d imagine he’s a fan.

He was already tied up to 2021 tbf, but the decision to give him that deal in the first place isn’t any less baffling.

According to the Tele, his permanent deal last summer was until the end of this season. Don't see any mention of a two year deal and would be amazed if we did offer that. Considering we have Jacobs, Colville and Lyon in there already, you'd imagine Jim will stay and we will potentially replace Millar, we don't need Blues.

Salkeld also signed for 1 year according to the official site.

Think the only player who signed last year and got a 2 year deal(publicly) was Colville.

All in with a Doyle Brunson

According to the Tele, his permanent deal last summer was until the end of this season. Don't see any mention of a two year deal and would be amazed if we did offer that. Considering we have Jacobs, Colville and Lyon in there already, you'd imagine Jim will stay and we will potentially replace Millar, we don't need Blues.

Salkeld also signed for 1 year according to the official site.

Think the only player who signed last year and got a 2 year deal(publicly) was Colville.

We must’ve given him an extension and kept it quiet then, bizarre.

So with McHugh away and discounting Rogers & Baird, the remaining out of contract players are:

Ramsbottom

Tumilty

McLean

McGinty

Millar

McAlister

Cadden

Muirhead

Nesbitt

Doolan

Sutton?

Of that lot I'd keep Tumilty, McAlister (primarily as cover considering he'll be 35 in November and whatever format the season takes we'll have more midweek games than usual), Cadden, Nesbitt, and if Sutton's staying as a coach anyway we're as well having him registered as a player, in case of emergencies rather than planning to use him regularly.

You'd imagine Millar and Doolan will retire, but neither have merited a new contract anyway - Doolan has literally touched the ball once. You'd imagine he'd rather go back to Partick if he isn't retiring anyway. Sad for Millar to have his career end this way but his legs are clearly gone.

Ramsbottom, McLean and McGinty are out of their depth to varying degrees, while Muirhead swinging in the occasional brilliant cross or putting a 25 yarder into the top corner doesn't justify the weeks of Adam Coakley performances that occur either side of those rare good moments. They all have to go.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

That was suggested on our group chat, but they’re full time next season. Maybe Dumbarton, Duffy brought him here, so you’d imagine he’s a fan.

Thought they were just going fully Part-Time, no? Dumbarton makes a lot of sense.

What’s the situation with Cadden? I’ll be raging if we let him go.

Around the start of March Hopkin had said they'd be talking to everyone about contracts over the following couple of weeks while explicitly saying he wanted to build the team round Cadden, so you can safely assume an offer was on the table, then lockdown started and negotiations had to stop.

If the club are now in position where they're confident enough about next season's finances to start making offers, you'd expect a new contract for Cadden is the priority.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Wasn't a big fan of McHugh as a player for most of his spell at the club but it's a major blow to lose him right now after his most impressive season. Keeping your first team in place and developing them could be all it takes to have a very good campaign next season, given the turmoil that will be affecting all clubs at this level.

One thing that does stand out with McHugh is that he has become a much better all-round player over time than the one trick (really two), run in a straight line/penalty box finisher we got from that rabble in Grangemouth. It's an alarmingly rare occasion that we sign a player who is already established at this level and significantly improve them, so credit is due to McHugh himself and to some of the parade of coaches we've had through the door in recent years.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Wasn't a big fan of McHugh as a player for most of his spell at the club but it's a major blow to lose him right now after his most impressive season. Keeping your first team in place and developing them could be all it takes to have a very good campaign next season, given the turmoil that will be affecting all clubs at this level.

One thing that does stand out with McHugh is that he has become a much better all-round player over time than the one trick (really two), run in a straight line/penalty box finisher we got from that rabble in Grangemouth. It's an alarmingly rare occasion that we sign a player who is already established at this level and significantly improve them, so credit is due to McHugh himself and to some of the parade of coaches we've had through the door in recent years.

I thought we got McHugh from Dumbarton?

You know I hate every pop star that I ever met.

I thought we got McHugh from Dumbarton?

The other Robert, the carthorse Thomson, came from Dumbarton. McHugh came from Falkirk.

The other Robert, the carthorse Thomson, came from Dumbarton. McHugh came from Falkirk.

Thanks, I checked that out.

McHugh has never been a prolific goalscorer with anyone except us. 30 goals in 101 appearances is a good return for a Morton player, who for all intents was never first choice.

You know I hate every pop star that I ever met.

Jordan White leaving ICT.

I'd take him. He;s the sort of big hammer throwing forward that Hopkin seems to like in his teams..

Pretty sure he is leaving to better his career. Talk of Motherwell..

Pretty sure he is leaving to better his career. Talk of Motherwell..

Which is also the likely destination for Sir Richard Lamie this summer as well. Another sair yin that for Tam 'King Snake' O'Ware as he looks up the Balmoral Stadium and 'Clyde' on the satnav for next season's seaside league travails.

tumblr_ls4n0ovJpE1qaid3h.gif

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Danny Rogers leaves Aberdeen. Hopefully we’ll be able to get him back.

He was miles better than Ramsbottom but i never quite felt he was all that brilliant for us. Decent, no doubt and if we were to sign him, it wouldn't bother me but I think there will be better keepers out there.

If we retain Ramsbottom, that will bother me!

He was miles better than Ramsbottom but i never quite felt he was all that brilliant for us. Decent, no doubt and if we were to sign him, it wouldn't bother me but I think there will be better keepers out there.

If we retain Ramsbottom, that will bother me!

Don't think we have a choice, unless we pay him off or someone comes in for him.

Or maybe I'm understanding the furlough scheme wrongly.

Edited by TRVMP

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

Don't think we have a choice, unless we pay him off or someone comes in for him.

Or maybe I'm understanding the furlough scheme wrongly.

We would be under no obligation to retain him beyond his contract, or the end of the furlough scheme.

We would be under no obligation to retain him beyond his contract, or the end of the furlough scheme.

Oh. Well, good. Bin him.

• Upvote 1

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

Most seasons we say we can do better and most seasons we end up with the next Andre Boe. I would love to see the scouting report on Ramsbottom.