Dundee Utd vs Morton - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dundee Utd vs Morton

Jamie_M

The Midfield was a joke and having been subbed off at half time 2 weeks in a row, Millar should probably decide enough is enough but the defence were an animation.

Just letting people run past them at will. Not once did we just put some cunt up in the air and show them we meant business. Worst surrender since the 10-2 game, made worse by the fact we are so early in the season and they should still be fighting for the Jersey.

Rodgers has been an utter disappointment also. Good pedigree at this level but he has turned to shit. Not sure I want Ramsbottom to get another chance right now but Rodgers deserved dropped.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not buying this young team pish either.

Of the starting 11 yesterday, Rogers, Grant, Baird, Millar, McCalister, Cadden, McHugh, Sutton all have over 100 league appearances each, some with many many more.

Only Strapp, Lyon and Welsh are starting out their football careers.

Its his recruitment, tactics and team selections which are making us a laughing stock, not the age of the squad.

Quite disappointed with Hopkin to date, expected much more.

Of course we should give him time(he will get it anyway) , brand new squad etc and the home form is great but some of the results and performances are very alarming!

Hopkin is in the paper saying we are a young team that will learn from the result. Well David that is the 3rd time we have lost 5 or more goals this season and you same the same thing they don't seem to be learning.

And it's deflection of the highest order. We are not a young team. The entire spine of the team was not young, would only have Strapp, Welsh and Lyon in that category.

Just admit you made a fucking arse of it, again, apologise for the team not turning up then chucking it after 30 seconds, and the fact the fans spent their money, again, to travel to witness an absolute pumping.

Not buying this young team pish either.

Of the starting 11 yesterday, Rogers, Grant, Baird, Millar, McCalister, Cadden, McHugh, Sutton all have over 100 league appearances each, some with many many more.

Only Strapp, Lyon and Welsh are starting out their football careers.

Its his recruitment, tactics and team selections which are making us a laughing stock, not the age of the squad.

Quite disappointed with Hopkin to date, expected much more.

Of course we should give him time(he will get it anyway) , brand new squad etc and the home form is great but some of the results and performances are very alarming!

Aye, this.

The problem wasnt the defence. The problem was he changed the midfield and put the two slowest players in the league in centre. They offered no protection to the defence and both being defensive mids offered absolutely nothing to attack. Slightly improved in second half when he subbed miller.

The problem was absolutely the defence, what with them failing to make a routine clearance in the first sixty seconds of the game to put us 1-0 down and Rogers’ ridiculous decision-making at the third goal completely killing the contest - those being just the two most obvious examples. It’s bewildering that anyone who watched that yesterday thinks otherwise.

For me the issue is that we have a squad that is built for a back three rather than this back four nonsense, but as Strapp and Cadden have started the season well Hopkin doesn’t want to put either on the sidelines. Well that’s just tough because the team as a whole clearly needs a spare defender to cover for these routine fuck ups and doesn’t need somebody else shoehorned into a useless right back position every week.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The target this season is to avoid the drop, and we're on track for that. They aren't going to bin him, and frankly nor should they.

I fail to see how ‘avoiding the drop’ in a division with two part-time pub teams and a stack of utter dross counts as a credible target for the season. We’re as well shutting the gates now if that is the benchmark for ‘success’ being set at the club.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The problem was absolutely the defence, what with them failing to make a routine clearance in the first sixty seconds of the game to put us 1-0 down and Rogers’ ridiculous decision-making at the third goal completely killing the contest - those being just the two most obvious examples. It’s bewildering that anyone who watched that yesterday thinks otherwise.

For me the issue is that we have a squad that is built for a back three rather than this back four nonsense, but as Strapp and Cadden have started the season well Hopkin doesn’t want to put either on the sidelines. Well that’s just tough because the team as a whole clearly needs a spare defender to cover for these routine fuck ups and doesn’t need somebody else shoehorned into a useless right back position every week.

Aye the defence was rotten. We were on the back foot from the start because of a daft mistake. Using Grant as the example, it wasn't just an unlucky mishit - he swung at the ball later on in the same way and although he connected with it, that time it span out for a throw. He seems to panic too much and that's a direct result of that rather being unlucky.

Shankland putting one of our defenders in their backside was embarrassing too. It's schoolboy stuff to stay on your feet and shield it out. As good a finisher Shankland is, he's not the type of player to do be able to skin defenders like that so again poor play.

Rodgers is pretty rotten too and seems to be dropping further onto his line as games go on. That causes the whole team to sit back too as will the lack of confidence in him actually making saves.

The midfield might not be great but with a defense like that it's almost impossible for them to do their job properly.

I fail to see how ‘avoiding the drop’ in a division with two part-time pub teams and a stack of utter dross counts as a credible target for the season. We’re as well shutting the gates now if that is the benchmark for ‘success’ being set at the club.

I agree completely, but that's what the CEO implied - quite clearly, I thought - at the Q&A. Even with cuts, if the club has faith in the manager, they should be looking at mid table.

EOho8Pw.png

That has been the benchmark since the Rae's took control of the club and we will be nowhere near getting promoted while they are in charge.

That has been the benchmark since the Rae's took control of the club and we will be nowhere near getting promoted while they are in charge.

I don't think that's actually true. I think Dougie really wanted it, but didn't know how to achieve it. I also think he was far too loyal to managers and playing staff and tolerated failure because he liked them and wanted them to do well. 

The situation now is very different. Avoiding relegation is a priority because I don't think they know how we would afford relegation this time round. But also remember that Crawford sacked Duffy, who had us comfortably safe from relegation in each season. Obviously the financial situation has changed since then, and while I think they very much want us to achieve promotion, no-one is throwing any money at it. It's a very cautious approach which requires us to at least stay in the division to be able to build.  

And to be honest, I'm not actually sure who is calling the shots at the moment. 

I don't think that's actually true. I think Dougie really wanted it, but didn't know how to achieve it. I also think he was far too loyal to managers and playing staff and tolerated failure because he liked them and wanted them to do well.

The situation now is very different. Avoiding relegation is a priority because I don't think they know how we would afford relegation this time round. But also remember that Crawford sacked Duffy, who had us comfortably safe from relegation in each season. Obviously the financial situation has changed since then, and while I think they very much want us to achieve promotion, no-one is throwing any money at it. It's a very cautious approach which requires us to at least stay in the division to be able to build.

And to be honest, I'm not actually sure who is calling the shots at the moment.

The club is set up to invite offers and show it can be run without loss. The MCT for good or bad supports that so the onus is on someone to buy it.

Personally I think if the budget is reflective of the squad and the size of it, then a decent manager could have us challenging so with a bit of investment then it might not be too terrible of a buy for the Easdales...

Dare I say it, but we are amongst the dross of this division.

As much as I wish it were different, looking at the likes of Dunfermline, QotS, Partick, Ayr, Alloa, Arbroath etc. They are all in the same boat as us and all more than capable of taking points of us. I reckon fifth place is optimistic, I reckon we'll scramble our way to seventh place with arses twitching all over Inverclyde on the final few weeks of the season.

*insert signature here*

The club is set up to invite offers and show it can be run without loss. The MCT for good or bad supports that so the onus is on someone to buy it.

Personally I think if the budget is reflective of the squad and the size of it, then a decent manager could have us challenging so with a bit of investment then it might not be too terrible of a buy for the Easdales...

The bit in bold, why them? Why not someone else?

Is this the GMST chairman endorsing their 'inevitable' takeover of the club?

*insert signature here*

The bit in bold, why them? Why not someone else?

Is this the GMST chairman endorsing their 'inevitable' takeover of the club?

Aye it could be someone else. I suppose the point is that there's a lot of people who expect the Easdales to come in so if they don't now they never will.

Aye it could be someone else. I suppose the point is that there's a lot of people who expect the Easdales to come in so if they don't now they never will.

The whole point of the GMST and it's origins was to safeguard the clubs future and prevent it ever falling into the hands of an unscrupulous owner who didn't have the clubs interest and wellbeing at heart.

It's a sad day when the chairman of the GMST is actually championing a person who fits that exact description.

*insert signature here*

No, it's really not. The Raes own the club and the onus is on them to run it properly.

EOho8Pw.png

I dunno if any of our centre backs are mobile enough to play in a back 3 where the fullbacks make any attempt to get beyond the halfway line though. I agree on the need for extra cover but we'd likely end up with a really isolated striker. McHugh is rubbish unsupported and there's no way Sutton can do that role for longer than 45 minutes.

Archived