Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Morton Club Together Updates

2 hours ago, EdinTon said:

Have you asked anymore questions that you’d like answered? As far as I could see they answered what was asked of them from all of the comments back on the announcement the other week. 

Yeah, a few unanswered and most people I've spoke to share the concerns about being split from the assets, etc. 

Maybe a follow up Q&A would help. I get why there's promotion of MCT and its working but it would be good to hear some more details on the plans now everyone has had a think about them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Yeah, a few unanswered and most people I've spoke to share the concerns about being split from the assets, etc. 

Maybe a follow up Q&A would help. I get why there's promotion of MCT and its working but it would be good to hear some more details on the plans now everyone has had a think about them. 

What are the unanswered questions though? I've seen them be pretty active in replying back to people that have raised questions on their Facebook posts etc. They also said this season they'd be working closely with the club to find out even more than what they already know so I'm sure we'll hear more when that happens.

They also said in the webinar that there would be more webinars organised with fans who maybe hadn't signed up yet, that kind of thing. 

42 minutes ago, EdinTon said:

What are the unanswered questions though? I've seen them be pretty active in replying back to people that have raised questions on their Facebook posts etc. They also said this season they'd be working closely with the club to find out even more than what they already know so I'm sure we'll hear more when that happens.

They also said in the webinar that there would be more webinars organised with fans who maybe hadn't signed up yet, that kind of thing. 

You've touched on one of the biggest concerns - they are confident that they can save around £100,000 a year but still have to work with the club for at least this season to find out more about how its run. 

Both of these don't really fit if they need to learn about what's needed to run a full time club so what are these savings and why are they so confident without having knowledge of running a club? 

I've said before, I think most of the work being done is good and most questions have been getting answered over time but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be other questions getting asked. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Irnbru as the voice in the wilderness who kept telling us the cost of running Cappielow was '000,000's every year, without providing anything to support the numbers, why is it you have an issue with another organisation who has thrown a number into the ether? Don't get me wrong, I suspect I am one of many supporters who remains to be convinced but having someone from the Trust asking for transparency is an interesting development. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Irnbru as the voice in the wilderness who kept telling us the cost of running Cappielow was '000,000's every year, without providing anything to support the numbers, why is it you have an issue with another organisation who has thrown a number into the ether? Don't get me wrong, I suspect I am one of many supporters who remains to be convinced but having someone from the Trust asking for transparency is an interesting development. 

It wasn't me who kept saying that although the club did mention high maintenance costs at every agm. 

I don't really see the issue with asking some questions and being a bit worried about vague answers. Like I said earlier, I've been a member of MCT since the start, spoke to the guys involved and am generally supportive of it but most people I've spoken to have similar concerns.

Most questions have been getting answered and the progress over the last year or so has been impressive so it's not all doom and gloom but some more detail around certain aspects might encourage more new backers, maybe ever yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, irnbru said:

You've touched on one of the biggest concerns - they are confident that they can save around £100,000 a year but still have to work with the club for at least this season to find out more about how its run. 

Both of these don't really fit if they need to learn about what's needed to run a full time club so what are these savings and why are they so confident without having knowledge of running a club? 

I've said before, I think most of the work being done is good and most questions have been getting answered over time but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be other questions getting asked. 

The easiest way for MCT to find out how to run a full time club, is to do the exact opposite if what happens just now. Simple.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, irnbru said:

My guess would be that the figure comes as a result of the fact they've already spoken to the club and already been involved in some fact-finding discussions about overheads etc.

Also, surely it's a good thing that (if and) when they take over the club they know how it has been run and can make changes immediately, should they be required. If they don't carry out this process in advance, they'll have to do it while running the club which just wastes more time and money.

They're also not going to disclose in advance areas they think are overspends or wastes of money, some of it is probably confidential anyway (salaries, debts, etc)

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

The projected £100,000 of savings did raise an eyebrow I must admit, but Graham Barr mentioned in his recent interview that MCT have been working closely with Nick for a while now and so they will have had sight of, and taken advice from him about, the club’s financial position. The answers to a lot of the questions people have at the minute eg around the stadium will be subject to ongoing negotiation. Hopefully the membership number keeps increasing to give them as strong a negotiating hand as possible. 

Members of MCT putting themselves out there and openly admitting when they either don't know an answer or are unable to comment in public at this stage is a far better approach to honesty and transparency than just hiding away and avoiding questions because they know they'll be unable to answer some points.

We know they've done a feasibility study working alongside the club to produce it so you'd assume that's the basis for their figures, but if aspects of their plans to increase revenue come from revisiting existing commercial deals which the club are signed up to, they're obviously going to be bound to confidentiality on those aspects and aren't able to say that a deal with Smiths, Aulds or whoever is currently worth £X and they think they could actually make £Y.

Even where they might not be bound by any kind of confidentiality, it's maybe just the right thing to do not to go public with it. For example if some of their plans to make savings were based on merging the roles of two members of the non-playing staff, it'd be inappropriate for them to come out and say that to the support before they've taken ownership and had that conversation with those employees.

Being honest and open when you can't share or just don't know an answer to a question is a much better approach to transparency than what we've had in the past.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

12 hours ago, hayfever said:

My guess would be that the figure comes as a result of the fact they've already spoken to the club and already been involved in some fact-finding discussions about overheads etc.

Also, surely it's a good thing that (if and) when they take over the club they know how it has been run and can make changes immediately, should they be required. If they don't carry out this process in advance, they'll have to do it while running the club which just wastes more time and money.

Erm yes, I can just imagine that 'fact-finding discussion' in which the club discloses to MCT that there's actually a big £100k value to do list of easy cost-cutting measures that they just haven't got round to, all while rummaging around the English ninth tier or something to find the next Gianluigi Buffon because the player budget is a pittance. 

I think we can safely file that into the bin of 'things that never happened'. 

They're also not going to disclose in advance areas they think are overspends or wastes of money, some of it is probably confidential anyway (salaries, debts, etc)

If you're not going to disclose in what areas savings can be made then you also shouldn't cite a conveniently round sum like £100k that you're going to get off the books no bother because it lends you far less credibility and not more.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 hours ago, cmdc said:

The projected £100,000 of savings did raise an eyebrow I must admit, but Graham Barr mentioned in his recent interview that MCT have been working closely with Nick for a while now and so they will have had sight of, and taken advice from him about, the club’s financial position. 

Given that 'Nick' was one of the chief cheerleaders on here for the hare-brained, 8-8-8 squad structure that got us relegated in utter disgrace in 2013/14. I'd take his advice on how to successfully cut costs at a football club with a shovel of road salt.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I too will judge his track record based on events that took place in the season before he joined the club.

• Upvote 1

Demonstrating such woefully piss-poor judgment in a private capacity (though in reality trying to further ingratiate himself with the Rae regime) is actually a more damning indictment than simply toeing the official club line. It's almost as if there's a reason why bean-counters do not regularly serve as chief executives of successful professional football clubs. 

12 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Erm yes, I can just imagine that 'fact-finding discussion' in which the club discloses to MCT that there's actually a big £100k value to do list of easy cost-cutting measures that they just haven't got round to, all while rummaging around the English ninth tier or something to find the next Gianluigi Buffon because the player budget is a pittance. 

I think we can safely file that into the bin of 'things that never happened'. 

If you're not going to disclose in what areas savings can be made then you also shouldn't cite a conveniently round sum like £100k that you're going to get off the books no bother because it lends you far less credibility and not more.

Of course nobody is saying that's what happened but as we know there are discussions ongoing between MCT and GMFC at the moment, it's not unreasonable to think that MCT are specifically looking at (and may have already identified) ways they think extra revenue can be found and/or saved. 

I think that it is entirely unreasonable for MCT to state that they can waltz in and slash £100k no bother from the club's annual costs following years of austerity-lite policy in the late Rae era and with the current chief executive having already been tasked with achieving a break-even position over the past twelve months. They're not taking over the 2008 version of the club here. Somebody with access to the basic accounts can work out the precise figure but that must be easily more than 5% of the club's budget that they think is fat just waiting to be trimmed. If it were that easy to do then why are the other full time, second tier Scottish football clubs up to their eyeballs in crushing year on year losses though?

All of the focus should be on revenue-raising where the previous regime has clearly left room for improvement on the commercial front as well as the need for a stack of fresh ideas. This whole 'it'll be fine cos we'll just cut costs and raise income at the same time!' shtick though is like something you'd hear from an undergraduate business student rather than responsible adults preparing to navigate the financial black hole that is a professional provincial football club.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 2

Given that they’ve delivered so far on what they set out to do (still plenty to go on that obviously), I think if MCT have said they’ve identified something that can be done then they deserve some time to do that. 

• Upvote 1

Running a professional football club is an entirely separate challenge to anything MCT have done so far and there have been plenty of supporters' groups that were good at one and not the other. There is no other football club for us to fall back on, so just like any other owner we shouldn't be giving MCT a free pass for statements of intent that don't stand up to scrutiny.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I think that it is entirely unreasonable for MCT to state that they can waltz in and slash £100k no bother from the club's annual costs following years of austerity-lite policy in the late Rae era and with the current chief executive having already been tasked with achieving a break-even position over the past twelve months. They're not taking over the 2008 version of the club here. Somebody with access to the basic accounts can work out the precise figure but that must be easily more than 5% of the club's budget that they think is fat just waiting to be trimmed. If it were that easy to do then why are the other full time, second tier Scottish football clubs up to their eyeballs in crushing year on year losses though?

That of course is not what I said and I'm not disagreeing with you on your general point, merely trying to second-guess the intentions behind the statement. I'm assuming they've said that figure on purpose, perhaps based on some things they've immediately identified don't work or could work better. Perhaps only because it sounds good, time will tell.

Also, nobody is saying they aren't focusing on revenue driving and in fact I'd be disappointed if that's not their primary focus.

Edited by hayfever

18 hours ago, hayfever said:

That of course is not what I said and I'm not disagreeing with you on your general point, merely trying to second-guess the intentions behind the statement. I'm assuming they've said that figure on purpose, perhaps based on some things they've immediately identified don't work or could work better. Perhaps only because it sounds good, time will tell.

Also, nobody is saying they aren't focusing on revenue driving and in fact I'd be disappointed if that's not their primary focus.

I'm really not sure why you think that we need someone to interpret what they're really saying when their public statements couldn't be more explicit. And if £100k of cost-cutting only represents the secondary part of their straight through the door financial masterplan then it's criminal that we've not been shitting money for the past fifteen years.

They'd win more respect by demonstrating an understanding of just how massively difficult a task turning this club around is going to be, instead of throwing around bold/unrealistic pledges. It might generate greater enthusiasm in the short term but custodians failing to deliver quickly breeds apathy and contempt, as we've seen time and time again.

• Upvote 1

Wonder if scrapping Morton's funding of the academy was part of the '100k' saving that MCT had identified

12 hours ago, so72 said:

Wonder if scrapping Morton's funding of the academy was part of the '100k' saving that MCT had identified

According to Iron Man and his assorted flunkies on here, the academy wasn't going to require any funding from the club in the first place.