Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Partick (13th January) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Partick (13th January)

12 hours ago, Deego said:

Just reading that was former Morton striker Iain Diack’s son that scored the equaliser today.

I watched one of their games recently and he came on. After first 5/10 mins I said to my son that he was Brian Graham 2.0. A horrible wee cunt, all elbows. He wasn't that bad yesterday but his reactions to being hounded by the shed for the ball flying in to the crowd from his tackle sum him up. I did think the abuse he got was harsh right enough as it want as if he kicked the ball directly into the shed. Still a prick though. 

And Graham at full time 🤣. We'd be better off ignoring that insignificant no mark.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

15 hours ago, Madton said:

Wilson was on a booking. Power wasn't booked 

Aye I thought Power had got one on one of the occasions Napier was throwing bookings around like confetti, but apparently not.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

There's nothing wrong with the turnstiles, the problem is there's only 4 of them.  We simply need a couple more.   What WAS a disgrace was the fact there was no delay to the game til everyone got in. £22 to see an hour of football.  Sort it out.

Edited by LargsTON
  • Upvote 1

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

As usual, the stewarding was shite as well. Loads of people in front of me were really struggling with the scanner and holding up progress. The steward was standing off the side in front of the exit gate dealing with complaints, rather than standing showing folk the daft angle you need to hold your phone at.

I joined the queue at 2.54 and got in just after 3.10. The fact that the queue was still all the way up to the ticket office and around when I got in shows that there were a lot of people that arrived with no more than 5 minutes to go before kickoff. Even with double the number of turnstiles, we wouldn't have cleared the queue till at least 10 past. 

I hadn't intended to arrive at the time I did, but I was held up before leaving and didn't expect to get in for kick off. I don't think we should deny that too many people turned up just before kickoff. But the club can't then complain afterwards when they didn't offer any clear and obvious advice on this in the lead up to the match. We all know there aren't enough turnstiles, and I have no idea how we'd handle an actual big crowd, but one thing we definitely can do is advise fans to turn up at an earlier time. We're in a rubbish situation which needs a solution or a contingency sooner rather than later, but right now the club needs to make a better job of planning for the situation we're in. That can start with advising fans to arrive earlier for games like this one. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

As usual, the stewarding was shite as well. Loads of people in front of me were really struggling with the scanner and holding up progress. The steward was standing off the side in front of the exit gate dealing with complaints, rather than standing showing folk the daft angle you need to hold your phone at.

The thing is, it's not really a daft angle and it's not difficult once you know how. Once you've done it once or twice you should know exactly where to hold it. As long as you don't hold it too close, it's very easy. 

My issue, and the issue with the last system too, is that it seems very easy to print and laminate a picture of where to hold it and stick it at the entries, and also post short videos of how to do it on social media before games. I have no clue why we don't do that. It's clear that not everyone will know how to do it without being shown, but it should be easy to find ways to show people. 

Exactly. We still don't have enough turnstiles, but a decent sign above them that's visible from further back in the queue and some stewards who actually help folk who struggle would definitely make a difference.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

I joined the queue at 2.54 and got in just after 3.10. The fact that the queue was still all the way up to the ticket office and around when I got in shows that there were a lot of people that arrived with no more than 5 minutes to go before kickoff. 

No it doesn't because the queue was already beyond the ticket office at 2:40. What you in fact found was the tail end of a queue that people had been standing in like spare pricks for the previous 20 minutes if not more already. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

55 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

No it doesn't because the queue was already beyond the ticket office at 2:40. What you in fact found was the tail end of a queue that people had been standing in like spare pricks for the previous 20 minutes if not more already. 

I'm not really sure what you're saying here or how it's relevant to what you've quoted. 

2 hours ago, Toby said:

We’re well past the stage of telling people to arrive early being the starting point, though. That was maybe acceptable in 2017 when the turnstiles were first installed, but in 2024 the onus in finding a solution is being sat squarely at the feet of the paying customer, rather than the club.

There is no sign of the club taking feedback on board from the fans about this, no acceptance of their own culpability, no noises made about any plans going forward, just an explanation that it was the fans turning up late.

Of course, plenty would have turned up around five to and can’t really expect the be getting in at a reasonable time if they do that, but there are far too many folk who appeared to turn up around twenty to or quarter to citing their own problems for their complaints to be considered as invalid or untrue.

And therein lies the problem with folk who are unfamiliar with the system having to use them at the gate when there are time constraints. This isn’t their fault though, nobody just jumps on a bike are rides off into the sunset at the first time of asking. But how well are they being trained in how to use them? How patient or helpful are the stewards? Is this done at the expense of holding up others?

You can’t go issuing “bring a friend” calls like MCT did yesterday and then absolve yourself of all responsibility when folk bring friends and it all goes to shit.

Well past that point or not, it would have helped. As would helping to ensure more people knew how to scan their ticket. The situation would have been far worse if the online ticketing situation hasn't been sorted in the summer. The club obviously need to continue to move on the right direction and it's fair to ask why progress has been slow, but much of it could have been mitigated by communicating a bit better and asking people to turn up earlier. You might not like where the onus is being placed, but it was the most readily available practical steps that could have been taken this week. It's not an answer to criticisms of the system, or a shield to say that they are right and the fans are wrong, but something pragmatic to help the situation at hand. 

5 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

They've been doing that for years but oddly enough, since this isn't the World Cup final, people aren't that enthusiastic about standing around in the street in a badly-managed crowd with no visible queue lines so that they can have a 20% chance of their ticket scan not working. 

I guarantee people are showing up earlier than they used to on average, but even showing up at 2:40 isn't sufficient anymore. Hence the problem now lies entirely with the club and not the fans. 

They didn't do it in any way I noticed this week. 

I've already pointed out the fact that many, many fans arrived after I did at 2.54. And at no point did I say that the only problem was the time that fans turned up, or that the solution to the issue of only having 4 turnstiles was to forever saying turn up early. The point I was making, and I'll try to be clear because I really don't want to argue about something I agree with, was that the club can't complain about people showing up late of they didn't make it clear that they wanted them to turn up earlier. 

The queue lines, or lack of, have been another annoyance of mine for years. It's so badly organised. We're certainly in no way making the best of a bad situation. It's the least we could try to do. But, and I'll say this again, a proper solution is very obviously required. 

9 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Well past that point or not, it would have helped. As would helping to ensure more people knew how to scan their ticket. The situation would have been far worse if the online ticketing situation hasn't been sorted in the summer. The club obviously need to continue to move on the right direction and it's fair to ask why progress has been slow, but much of it could have been mitigated by communicating a bit better and asking people to turn up earlier. You might not like where the onus is being placed, but it was the most readily available practical steps that could have been taken this week. It's not an answer to criticisms of the system, or a shield to say that they are right and the fans are wrong, but something pragmatic to help the situation at hand. 

It’s not really about what I like though, is it? I’ve already said in this thread that I was inside the ground in sufficient time as I anticipated problems yesterday. But I’m familiar with the procedures (or lack of) at Cappielow on a match day.

Given that the crowd yesterday was roughly 75% higher than the season’s average, there would have been an awful lot of folk who weren’t as familiar with them as I am.

I don’t disagree with your point that encouraging people to turn up early would have been the easiest step they could have taken, and they should have, but my point is that we should be well beyond that stage by now, and the reason we’re not is because not enough has been done to address these issues over a six and a half year period.

Of course, the best step forward they have taken off the park in recent years has been the move to Fanbase, making the purchase of tickets seamless, but it’s a bit like VAR. There’s no point in having an all-singing-all-dancing system if people don’t know how to operate it, or you don’t have the capacity to operate it.

Also, a blind refusal to acknowledge that the club themselves could have done things better doesn’t sit well. For all the expectation of turning up en masse at 2.55 and expecting to be in for kick off is unreasonable, it’s equally as unreasonable of the club not to accept they have to work on improving things, especially when they are the ones taking the fans’ money for 70, rather than 90 minutes of football.

• Upvote 2

In terms of the football a point was probably a fair result. Morton dominated the first half but never really turned up for the next 45 minutes. I have been a critic of both Wilson and Broadfoot this season but in in recent months both have been consistent performers and are making me eat my words. When Wilson was substituted we lost control of the midfield. It was difficult to argue with the other subs but for a change they never influenced the game in a positive manner. As for the referee the best I can say is he appeared to infuriate both benches in equal measure. 

Turning to the entry management to the ground. First off, what a poor statement from the club. Anyone who had half a brain could have predicted a crowd somewhere from 3,000 to 4,000. As a long-standing critic of the Hawke vanity project I still struggle that all these years later the gates cannot cope with a 'decent' crowd. Leaving aside the criticism about more gates surely the club should have measures in place for queuing and addressing issues on entry? As frustrating as it is a lot of people especially the older generation struggle with the technology. I watched as fans could not successfully scan their tickets and/or had their ticket rejected as it turned out they were trying to get in the Cowshed but had inadvertently bought a ticket for the away end. Rather than arguing with fans and telling them they had to queue at the ticket office to get the issue resolved they could have simply buzzed them through. When you get the opportunity to encourage new fans into Cappielow the last thing the club should be doing is blaming them for not arriving half an hour before kick-off. As a club we need to do better.

I was able to get to Cappielow at 1440 and was shocked at the queue management or lack of it. I managed to get into the ground at 5  past 3. Aside from the chaotic queues , i also could see an issue with the turnstile rejecting tickets including season tickets. No one appeared to know what to do other than ask them to go back to the ticket office which would have been infuriating.

This whole turnstile, queuing and entering the ground issue is an embarrassment and really needs to be properly addressed and resolved once and for all. 

JB

Edited by Jack Bauer
missing number
  • Upvote 2

Power To The Powerless,

Strength Unto The Weak!