Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Cove Rangers (25th February) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Cove Rangers (25th February)

Admin

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I agree with the comments above about the standard of stewarding.

However, if we want more qualified, better trained stewards then the associated cost to the club will rise.

I get that it looks like overkill on occasions but something I did notice on Saturday was this.

My grandson wanted a picture with some of the  players, so I took him to the front of the shed to wait for the players warmup drill to end and come over to the trackside. Almost immediately a group of around 10 kids also turned up at the wall.

At least two of them immediately started to pelt the players with sweets, with one of them hailing his success in hitting Calvin Miller on the leg by shouting "got the cunt" Remember that this is our own players, not that it matters which players/match officials it is.

Now, I know that it was wean's of around 10-12, and it was only sweets (on this occasion) but there have been incidents of coins and small stones been thrown onto the park on the past, IIRC.

I don't disagree that some of the stewards could do considerably better, but there are other occasions when they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

There’s definitely an element of misbehaviour amongst the kids, there’s no doubt about that. And there’s been too many incidents of chips etc. being thrown down at adults in the back of the shed too, which has resulted in folk having to be held back, and that very often contradicts our appeals for leniency with them.

But I feel it’s the kids, rather than the stewards’ behaviours that are reactionary in the main. Treat a kid like a brat and he’ll behave like a brat. And if we look at the stewarding thread, there are plenty of adults that have been treated with utter contempt by these folk.

I don’t accept that we should expect to be paying more for a higher standard of steward either. You shouldn’t need an SIA badge to understand the importance of good customer service skills in a role in which you’re working with the public- we’re asking for the bare minimum, here. And leadership comes from the top. I don’t know the match commander at Cappielow, but the example set by the most prominent steward is, on the occasion of almost every home game, absolutely appalling and will only rub off on her staff.

13 hours ago, LargsTON said:

I don't like whining after such a great result but the issues at the turnstiles seem to remain.  I finally convinced my daughter to come to a game (which she loved btw) and after arriving at around 1447 we didn't get into the ground until nearly 1510.  Pretty shambolic with a crowd of only 1800 odd.  I did hear our favourite steward ranting about something on her radio as I was queueing.  

Hayden Gillan red dotted this before it started getting greenies then cancelled it.  Word of advice young man, stick to your guns and don't backtrack when your opinion goes against the grain.  We've all been there.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

6 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Hayden Gillan red dotted this before it started getting greenies then cancelled it.  Word of advice young man, stick to your guns and don't backtrack when your opinion goes against the grain.  We've all been there.

I'd misread the original post thinking it was overly negative than it actually was, hence why I recinded the downvote. Stewarding at Cappielow could 100% be better, we all know that, but fixing it by hiring a new company also leads to additional costs to the club, so as someone pointed out earlier, it's a double edged sword 

7 hours ago, Hej said:

Photo of the season

Love this.

When the penalty was given a whole load of kids ran behind the goal for it and as they were still there for the winner, Sinclair Street looked great as they all ran to the corner.

I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube where kids caught both goals on camera - great to see.

As for the game - I agree that Cove's tactics were very effective until we scored. Love the spirit in this team.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

13 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Love this.

When the penalty was given a whole load of kids ran behind the goal for it and as they were still there for the winner, Sinclair Street looked great as they all ran to the corner.

I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube where kids caught both goals on camera - great to see.

As for the game - I agree that Cove's tactics were very effective until we scored. Love the spirit in this team.

This seems to be much more common too. Young kids coming to games and filming it seems to be the in thing at the moment, and I'm certainly not opposed to it.

Great seeing the Sinclair St. end so packed as well.

The wee fuds at the back of the shed are a nuisance. Won't go full da about it but food getting chucked at folk in front of them is happening more often and I think it was last season someone got spat on as well leading to a couple of slaps getting handed out.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

20 hours ago, Toby said:

I don’t accept that we should expect to be paying more for a higher standard of steward either. You shouldn’t need an SIA badge to understand the importance of good customer service skills in a role in which you’re working with the public- we’re asking for the bare minimum, here.

Agree. An SIA licence doesn't make you better at your job either, so you could employ only licensed stewards and end up with even more dumplings.

Archived