Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Cove Rangers (25th February) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Cove Rangers (25th February)

Admin

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love those kind of games. Looked like we were heading for another Arbroath and within 5 minutes we are 2-1 up.

Options off the bench made a massive difference. They all had a positive impact and hats off to Dougie for making them early enough.

Felt for McGrattan, did so well with that first half chance and had he scored, we would have probably went on and won the game comfortably.

Thought Carlo had another good game too, been impressed by him of late. Waters didn't have the best of games but did his defensive duties well enough 

Another February Manager of the Month incoming. Brilliant response to 3 losses.

Good crowd today too. 1500 at the first home game against Cove, not far off 1900 today, really encouraging and great to see loads of kids there too. Let them stand behind the goal ffs, love to know the reason why we don't allow it.

Next week is fucking massive.Win that and we have a right good chance of winning this thing.

The best kind of wins. Ambrose was terrific when he came on. Thought he added a composure in defence that we were badly missing. What a throw in too! Longer than Strapp's. 

Character was immense. Scenes for the winner and GIRFUY Paul Hartley and your shower of time wasters. Don't think there was anyone that was particularly brilliant but we kept grinding and that's what matters.

Hopefully we can take a big crowd to Ochilview next week. Lose and the title is probably done but win and it's on. Being a Morton supporter at the moment is brilliant. Can't wait for next Saturday already.

Just now, DumfriesTon said:

The best kind of wins. Ambrose was terrific when he came on. Thought he added a composure in defence that we were badly missing. What a throw in too! Longer than Strapp's. 

Character was immense. Scenes for the winner and GIRFUY Paul Hartley and your shower of time wasters. Don't think there was anyone that was particularly brilliant but we kept grinding and that's what matters.

Hopefully we can take a big crowd to Ochilview next week. Lose and the title is probably done but win and it's on. Being a Morton supporter at the moment is brilliant. Can't wait for next Saturday already.

Aye the attacking players will get credit but Ambrose was quality on the ball and built from the back when he came on. Think it was forced by the yellow but worked well. 

15 minutes ago, Cat10 said:

Loved all the fans charging to corner flag after the second goal

I saved my charge for a prostrate Scott Fox. 

Huge relief to get the win and credit to the players for plugging away. Cove simply won too many first and second balls today for that to be anything other than an uphill struggle though. That's a concern as we have a pattern of struggling in those type of games right now. The penalty was not coming at all IMHO but by staying in the game at 0-1 we were able to capitalise on errors and a stramash to get the all important win. 

Grimshaw was the main player willing to break out of his position and drive on to cause Cove problems in that second half. His leadership on the park is immense right now. 

I wasn't hugely impressed with Oakley's efforts against the hammer-thrower centre backs today - when a referee is letting a lot of physical challenges go, play to that standard. But the work he did chasing 'lost causes' at 2-1 - disrupting Cove's attempts to set up a long ball from the defenders at a target - was immense for that stage in the game. His workrate and desire couldn't be faulted. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Ali Crawford’s performance was really encouraging when he came on. Got a brilliant first touch, he was willing to drive at players and try create opportunities. Hopefully we’ve got a cracking player on our hands for the remainder of the season. 

12 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Did you seriously think we were ever in danger of being relegated this season? 

Depends how you define 'serious' but the outlook after that game at Firhill in September was concerning on the pitch, and summer signings were often gambles in terms of quality.

We're now in a position where - despite our midfield issues today - I think Gillespie will be in and out of the team rather than the crucial and unexpected lynchpin he proved in the first half of the season. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 minute ago, vikingTON said:

Depends how you define 'serious' but the outlook after that game at Firhill in September was concerning on the pitch, and summer signings were often gambles in terms of quality.

We're now in a position where - despite our midfield issues today - I think Gillespie will be in and out of the team rather than the crucial and unexpected lynchpin he proved in the first half of the season. 

Aye, 100%. We had about 12 players we were relying on at one point and now have options so it's a good problem to have. 

Not a great performance and maybe resembled some of our away performances in a way, but by the weird and wonderful workings of football, I walked out the ground today thinking it was starting to get very hard to avoid feeling this could be our year, far more so than after the last two games. It's always a bit unnerving to feel that way about Morton, of course, it usually ends in disappointment, but this just seems different, like we have a very real chance rather than an outside punt.

Sometimes it's the bad games that can be most convincing, it wasn't really looking too much like a goal was coming but at the same time you sort of thought it might. When it did it was in somewhat bizarre fashion, and the second was inevitable from there. 

Without at all wishing to dismiss the trip to Arbroath, the Ayr and Queen's Park games on the horizon are going to be absolutely huge. I want to write something resembling a bold statement about our chances, but I am not gonnae tempt fate on that front....but fuck me, we're very well-placed, aren't we? What a pleasant change to be at this stage of a season and feeling like we can do something. Christ, it was nice just getting past Christmas and not being desperate for the end of the season for a change! Barring a major and extremely unlikely collapse, Dougie surely has to be the manager of the year in Scotland.

Can't really be bothered delving too much into particular observations as it's not often we get the chance to enjoy thinking we're on the cusp of something special and we might as well just enjoy it, but wee mentions for McGrattan and also O'Connor who I felt a bit sorry for. McGrattan for obvious reasons, but O'Connor too as I think he was making an effort to try to add a bit of impetus by driving from the back even though it's not really his game, and whilst not much came off, you can't knock him for taking the responsibility and trying. In the more hectic matches, I think he's a really good defender, but in ones like today we seen the difference when Ambrose came on. It's a nice "problem" to have, really.

Also, Ali Crawford showed some really nice touches in tight spaces etc, obviously only really a brief glimpse but he looked very much like he'll be very useful for us (as expected).

AWMSC

2 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

While I would have given my right nut to be where we are now after the Partick debacle in September, I didn't even in our darkest days think we were relegation candidates. And I'm usually a pessimistic old cunt.

18 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

N O'Connor who I felt a bit sorry for. McGrattan for obvious reasons, but O'Connor too as I think he was making an effort to try to add a bit of impetus by driving from the back even though it's not really his game, and whilst not much came off, you can't knock him for taking the responsibility and trying. In the more hectic matches, I think he's a really good defender, but in ones like today we seen the difference when Ambrose came on. It's a nice "problem" to have, really.

Was a good sub for me, not a reflection on O'Conors performance but ability to play the ball out the back was necessary at that point when Cove were sitting in 11 behind the ball. Great sub from Dougie, the experience and calmness from him and Crawford was exactly what we needed. 

Bad: O'connor and Baird with time on the ball, Imrie starting Quitongo despite him clearly being unfit, our lack of creativity (particularly blues and the fullbacks). 

Good: the joke trio that is Scott Fox, Shay Logan and Michael O'Halloran, the guts of this Morton team and turning over a load of timewasting losers. 

10 minutes ago, Hej said:

Hope we absolutely hammer the Stirlingshire Gretna next week btw. Get them in the fucking ground 

Aw, I was getting games mixed up and thinking it was Abroath next then Queen's Park the following week in my first post. That's ideal for us, after these three games you want to get tore into your rivals, if we can win the next two then....well, things can happen, can't they. We always struggle at Gayfield too, tbh I'm more apprehensive about that than anybody else, so it's better to get it after the big ones (not that it's not big). 

2 minutes ago, Hej said:

Was a good sub for me, not a reflection on O'Conors performance but ability to play the ball out the back was necessary at that point when Cove were sitting in 11 behind the ball. Great sub from Dougie, the experience and calmness from him and Crawford was exactly what we needed. 

Aye, agree entirely, wasn't meaning to suggest otherwise. I'd imagine Darragh himself would have realised the sense in the change, even if he'll be disappointed about a) not being able to do more and b) coming off early. Again, you can't knock him for stuff not working, a player trying to take the initiative is exactly what you want, so good on him for doing so.

On Efe, there was one wee moment just in front of the Cowshed when a Cove player tried to knock the ball past him to run on to and the big man just took a wee non-chalant step inside, not even really in their player's path, and the ball just ran out - it wasn't at all flashy, blink and you'd have missed it, but I loved it, just a wee subtle flash of high-quality experience to snuff out a threat by seeming to not actually really do anything. The kind of thing that would just zap the last bit of optimism an opponent might have had. Lovely stuff.

AWMSC

12 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Bad: O'connor and Baird with time on the ball, Imrie starting Quitongo despite him clearly being unfit, our lack of creativity (particularly blues and the fullbacks). 

Good: the joke trio that is Scott Fox, Shay Logan and Michael O'Halloran, the guts of this Morton team and turning over a load of timewasting losers. 

Quitongo started really well but fell out if the game. Can only go by training and assume he looked OK. 

Archived