Dumbarton Vs Morton - Prelude To Sligo Rovers Away - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dumbarton Vs Morton - Prelude To Sligo Rovers Away

BishopBrennan

Same old Morton. The Mickey Mouse Cup may be a shambolic mess but for most fans it is an interlude to the bread and butter league campaign. With no game next week, the manager should have rotated around a core of first-team players but instead he chose to shite on the fans who went to support their team. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call it what you will, but it was ultimately a player who hadn't actually achieved anything with the club (and I don't count failing to win the league as an achievement). If you're having big celebrations for guys like that then it's a bit of a stretch to say winning a cup in which 50-odd teams (admittedly, some of them shouldn't really be there) would somehow be a "riddy". 

The real embarrassment here is Morton's abject lack of success both in recent years and across our entire history. Like it or not, we are absolutely the kind of club for whom winning the Challenge Cup counts as an achievement; anybody suggesting otherwise has delusions of grandeur that would make a Partick Thistle fan blush.

I want Morton to finish as high up the premier league as possible one day and play in Europe. We're as capable as any other club of our size. I honestly couldn't give a good fuck about a cup as tragic as whatever last nights is called nowadays. I'll take being deluded anyday over pining for a diddy cup win.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I want Morton to finish as high up the premier league as possible one day and play in Europe. We're as capable as any other club of our size. I honestly couldn't give a good **** about a cup as tragic as whatever last nights is called nowadays. I'll take being deluded anyday over pining for a diddy cup win.

We all want that but we've been waiting an awful long time on it. We're about the only full-time club that hasn't had (at leas one of) a cup final, a spell in the top flight or even European football over the last couple of decades.

We really aren't in a position to be thinking a Challenge Cup victory is beneath us to the point of effectively forfeiting it.

Aside from the value of the tournament, it's just downright stupid to wasting a game when the team is still fairly new . We were told the League Cup was about preparing for the league, we've been told the team still needs to gel, then we go and pass up an opportunity to help that happen. If the defence looks a bit ropey against Ross County, is that going to be because they're still gelling? If you're saying your team needs to gel then you go and play a reserve squad then you've not done your job properly.

AWMSC

We all want that but we've been waiting an awful long time on it. We're about the only full-time club that hasn't had (at leas one of) a cup final, a spell in the top flight or even European football over the last couple of decades.

We really aren't in a position to be thinking a Challenge Cup victory is beneath us to the point of effectively forfeiting it.

Aside from the value of the tournament, it's just downright stupid to wasting a game when the team is still fairly new . We were told the League Cup was about preparing for the league, we've been told the team still needs to gel, then we go and pass up an opportunity to help that happen. If the defence looks a bit ropey against Ross County, is that going to be because they're still gelling? If you're saying your team needs to gel then you go and play a reserve squad then you've not done your job properly.

Agreed.

We all want Morton to finish as high as possible etc etc - but can’t we do both in this situation? If we done well this this cup does that mean it would have an effect on our league position. Pish.

Let’s be honest, I doubt we’ll get out this league this year anyway so a cup run of any sort is a wee bonus. To turn our noses up at any cup is a bit snobby considering we have won literally fuck all for about 500 years.

Bottom line, you can't go on about the team needing to gel and then pointlessly rest players before a free weekend, especially in a winnable competitive cup game. Give them the game time, apparently they need it. It may be a minor cup but as an old mate said to me years ago, if I've paid to watch this I don't think its a 'meaningless fixture'.

Ray was delighted with our performance. Just going on the highlights, we were a bit unlucky mot to equalise, but we’ve still lost to Dumbarton and are out a winnable cup competition. His enthusiasm is slightly annoying.

Dumbarton got Montrose at home.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived