Team Of The Century (2000-2017) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Team Of The Century (2000-2017)

TRVMP

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert Earnshaw

I personally draw the line at 10 appearances. Others may disagree. Three league games and a cup appearance? It's a no from me.

These things are also somewhat luck-dependent - it depends where the team was and what they were doing when the player was here. Had Earnshaw propelled us towards promotion or something, yeah, but he didn't.

In terms of potential and his eventual career he'd certainly qualify as one of the best players to play for Morton since 2000, but in a Morton team of the century (2000-2017)? Nah.

EOho8Pw.png

Got to be Derek Collins

Disagree, most of his appearances in the 2000s were in the lower leagues and he wasn't "all that", as they say on sitcoms. If it was a team of the last 40 years then I'd consider his inclusion for sure.

edit: I'd also have him in the middle (matron), not the right.

EOho8Pw.png

A lot of folk with rose tinted glasses about McLaughlin. He had a decent season in 2013-14 but if he was one of the best centre backs we've had in the last 17 years then it really is slim pickings.

I'd sooner have McCaffrey, Kilday or O'Ware alongside Gunning than him. Even Shimmin when he wasn't acting the prick.

Before anyone chins me, he had an absolute disaster in 2013-14. He had a decent season in 2012-13.

Chris Templeman has to be worth a mention, especially for his world-class performance against Kilmarnock. That guy was a genius trapped in the wrong team.

A defensive pairing I liked at the time was Henderson and Gaughan, they certainly deserved a shot at a higher level. Why they were let go and money spent on the Ethiopian Braveheart that was Stuart Graecen is beyond me.

*insert signature here*

Still mulling it over, here's my latest. Right-back is a problem position. And I freely admit there's a recent-players bias here.

---------------

Gaston
Reid Gunning O'Ware Russell
Millar Tidser Forbes
Imrie MacDonald McLaren

Subs: McGurn, McGuffie, McCaffrey, Bachirou, Jenkins, Weatherson, Wake.
Manager: Duffy :o

-------

By far the most controversial exclusion here is Hardie, I admit that. There is scope for having him in ahead of, frankly, any of the six midfielders included.

For me Shimmin was clearly and obviously a player but he wasn't good for "clutch" situations, an Americanism which I hate but is valid for what I'm talking about.

EOho8Pw.png

You might want to qualify "Century" and stick a 21st in there otherwise you will hsve to go with John Madsen.

A nice, interesting thread that everyone can share their thoughts and create stimulating debate about a subject that we all have a common interest in- what the members have been pining for for ages now.

And one fanny has to put his tuppence worth in and show himself up for the cretin that he is.

Take a bow Ed, you insufferable w*nker.

Nobody has mentioned Jim McAllister, arguably the best youngster we've produced over the past two decades.

Mark Russell is twice the player of that gormless sand-dancer. Next.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Nobody has mentioned Jim McAllister, arguably the best youngster we've produced over the past two decades.

I never rated him and was delighted when he left. Fair play to him though, he's played at a higher level than I ever thought he could.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Mark Russell is twice the player of that gormless sand-dancer. Next.

Steve Aitken was also a good midfielder for us around the turn of the millennium; and Scott Paterson was an excellent gunning-esque signing for us around that time.

*insert signature here*

I'm drawing a line at 20 appearances, which unfortunately rules out Sir Gavin, but I think it's reasonable to expect a player to have spent at least half a season with us before being considered. For example, you can hardly include Robert Earnshaw on the basis of four games, even though he's by far the most successful player we've had this century when considering their careers as a whole.

Gaston

Doyle - McCaffrey - Fenwick - Russell

Millar - Tidser - Lindsay - Jenkins - Forbes

MacDonald

Obviously Forbes and Millar were at their best in the centre rather than out wide, but they all had to be squeezed into that midfield.

Jamie Lindsay is better than Bachirou and Hardie put together. Deal with it. 

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The thing about putting Doyle at right back is that many of us would have had Taggart as a stick-on for right back after the same period of time. It can be easier for the players who haven't been around for so long or who didn't hang for very long.

I mean, even Archie Campbell had a spell of 10 games when he looked unplayable.

If we're looking at other players with short spells with us, Scott Paterson was a real standout for us.

Craig MacPherson would be good competition for left back. John Anderson and Paul Fenwick also sneak in this century, but at a difficult time.

I'm drawing a line at 20 appearances, which unfortunately rules out Sir Gavin, but I think it's reasonable to expect a player to have spent at least half a season with us before being considered. For example, you can hardly include Robert Earnshaw on the basis of four games, even though he's by far the most successful player we've had this century when considering their careers as a whole.

Gaston

Doyle - McCaffrey - Fenwick - Russell

Millar - Tidser - Lindsay - Jenkins - Forbes

MacDonald

Obviously Forbes and Millar were at their best in the centre rather than out wide, but they all had to be squeezed into that midfield.

Jamie Lindsay is better than Bachirou and Hardie put together. Deal with it. 

I agree but I haven't included loanees.  Otherwise that brings into play Lindsay, Johnstone and Gasparatto.

Good point, forgot about him. I'll put him on the bench. But Russell is a better player.

Dunning, surely Fenwick didn't play 20 games from 2000 onwards?

EOho8Pw.png

Archived