Consolidation Then Playoffs? - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Consolidation Then Playoffs?

LargsTON

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though if he was In the best shape he could be in . he could improve his Level of fitness and standard of football. But Duffy should be addressing that and that same applies to other players weaknesses . Forbes sharpness , Gastons distribution, strengthning most of the starting 11 weaker foot . He should be trying to get the best out of every player

Well this is unusual a discussion about football :thumbup2:

Wasn't at all impressed on Saturday but I have to hope that there will still be some movement on the "transfer" market before we play our first league game. I though young Strapp had a good game, is Mark Russell really injured or up for sale? Maybe Jim and the board are trying out Strapp to see if he's up to the job before disposing of Russell. I thought Doyle had not a bad game at back but the rest of the new comers didn't impress much.

As for Scullion, well John is one of our better technical players and he had some nice touches on Saturday but what you see is what you get. I don't think Scullion is going to change that much physically although he did do a lot more chasing than normal. Jurys out for me, I'd like to see Scullion in another couple of games before discarding him.       

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Season tickets selling well apparently. Merchandising correctly improved. Prize money/gate money/TV money last season best since before Hugh Scott.  Yet we sign a guy from the juniors whilst other teams in our league strengthen their squads.  Where is the money from last season? , why are we waiting so long to improve our squad

DDF and Baby Rae creaming off as much money as they can before they sell the Club. Simples!

Was Scullion blowing out his arse Forbes style on Saturday or was the sub purely a tactical one? Did he look particularly slow like the weight is affecting him?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Well this is unusual a discussion about football :thumbup2:

Wasn't at all impressed on Saturday but I have to hope that there will still be some movement on the "transfer" market before we play our first league game. I though young Strapp had a good game, is Mark Russell really injured or up for sale? Maybe Jim and the board are trying out Strapp to see if he's up to the job before disposing of Russell. I thought Doyle had not a bad game at back but the rest of the new comers didn't impress much.

As for Scullion, well John is one of our better technical players and he had some nice touches on Saturday but what you see is what you get. I don't think Scullion is going to change that much physically although he did do a lot more chasing than normal. Jurys out for me, I'd like to see Scullion in another couple of games before discarding him.

I agree scullions a good footballer . Great touch and has a great football brain . And For height I don't think he's going to get bigger . He needs first team football to improve his game . . I believe 4-5 games in a row and it will help his game .

If peppers back and Russell for the Clyde I would go with 3-5 -2 pepper to support the defence let tidser push up

Was Scullion blowing out his arse Forbes style on Saturday or was the sub purely a tactical one? Did he look particularly slow like the weight is affecting him?

I didn't think so, he looked fitter than usual. He also has wee short legs so he's probably always going to be that bit slower.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Did he admit that? I don't always read the paper so may have missed it, but I was under the impression that we didn't offer him a deal.

Fair point, I might have been too strong with my inclusion of Nade. Didn't get to offer stage, but was definitely a 'target' in the sense that it was us doing the running, phoning, chasing and getting the run around rather than a trialist player touted to us by an agent.

There are a few seperate issues here; 

- The basic squad (without loanees) is poor compared to last season's

- Throughout the off-season we've missed a few targets without having sufficient replacement targets

- The competitive season begins earlier than it did last season

These three issues don't combine particularly well. We knew that we needed to rebuild our squad due to the amount of first team players that moved on. I understand Duffy has shown that he has a certain type of player (and personality) that he likes to sign; but at the moment this would appear to have hindered our recruitment rather than helped it. As it stands, there is even more pressure on both getting the right loanee signings in and those players needing to hit the ground running. Duffy has it all to do in the next few weeks.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

Regarding Nade's fitness, the Stranraer manager was in the paper saying he was delighted with his goal but expects more once he's "up to speed" - make of that what you will.

Elsewhere in the paper both Duffy and Young 'SLAMMED' the new cup format (ie Duffy said there wasn't much of an atmosphere compared to other cup games, hardly a SLAM or even a Slam.)

EOho8Pw.png

Regarding Nade's fitness, the Stranraer manager was in the paper saying he was delighted with his goal but expects more once he's "up to speed" - make of that what you will.

Elsewhere in the paper both Duffy and Young 'SLAMMED' the new cup format (ie Duffy said there wasn't much of an atmosphere compared to other cup games, hardly a SLAM or even a Slam.)

Aye, because our last visit to Albion Rovers was absolutely bouncing. There was a scuffle in the stand at that one mind, maybe that's what he was after

Was there really much difference compared to our Scottish Cup game at Rovers last season?

I believe the actual quote from Duffy was 'No pyro no party'.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

Scullion isn't in shape for professional football, that's obvious. If he doesn't sort it he'll be looking at knee injuries every few months. I'm sure he took a bad one last season, which kept him out for a few months, where it looked like his knee couldn't sustain his weight to ride the challenge.

I don't expect to be talking about Scullion as a professional footballer next year. Which would be a waste.

Scullion isn't in shape for professional football, that's obvious. If he doesn't sort it he'll be looking at knee injuries every few months. I'm sure he took a bad one last season, which kept him out for a few months, where it looked like his knee couldn't sustain his weight to ride the challenge.

I don't expect to be talking about Scullion as a professional footballer next year. Which would be a waste.

:lol: Absolute nonsense.

Archived