Who Next? - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who Next?

Scott

I think the problem we are going to have is whether any of the names mentioned will want to risk being the manager of a relegated team. I think that would pretty much count out the young managers on their way up, like Hartley and Murray.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem we are going to have is whether any of the names mentioned will want to risk being the manager of a relegated team. I think that would pretty much count out the young managers on their way up, like Hartley and Murray.

I don't think I agree with this. They could, especially Murray, see it as a no lose. Anything other than promotion would be seen as a success for them and it shouldn't be that hard to achieve with the squad we have.

Even if we do get relegated they wouldn't get the blame and would go in to a weak league one and be more than likely to bounce straight back up with a winners medal on their cv.

Added to this there is a chance to work with a full time team and with a bigger wage. Despite doing good jobs just now they could easily have a change in circumstances and would see a bigger club like morton as a safer bet.

I don't think I agree with this. They could, especially Murray, see it as a no lose. Anything other than promotion would be seen as a success for them and it shouldn't be that hard to achieve with the squad we have.

Even if we do get relegated they wouldn't get the blame and would go in to a weak league one and be more than likely to bounce straight back up with a winners medal on their cv.

Added to this there is a chance to work with a full time team and with a bigger wage. Despite doing good jobs just now they could easily have a change in circumstances and would see a bigger club like morton as a safer bet.

They'd have everything to lose. If they choose to come here and get relegated it will undoubtedly damage their reputation, even with the circumstances they'll have taken over in. If you can't keep a full-time team in the division then Premiership clubs aren't going to want you. and they've got a reputation good enough to move to that level already anyway. They get relegated with their current club and while it's disappointing, they're seen as overachieving just by being in the division in the first place and there's a 'taken them as far as they can' feeling to it, so it doesn't massively harm their reputation. They get relegated with a full-time team, they're a failure. Morton is absolutely not a safer bet for Murray or Hartley right now.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Billy Reid was detested by at least some of his players. I have had that from a couple of ex Hamilton guys including a former Morton player.

I don't really see that a manager had to be universally liked to get results. There's so many reasons a player can dislike a manager too, so a few dressing room rumours isn't really much of a black mark against Reid's credentials.

Saying he wasn't getting the best out of his players towards the end of his time isn't necessarily a criticism either. Sometimes that just happens when one person has been in charge for so long, and even if it is true in the case of Reid, his Hamilton team were always well organised , hard-working outfit - if that's how his team's perform when the manager has maybe lost a wee bit of influence, then it seems to me to a a huge testament to his ability. There was a lot of talk about Hamilton being a " bogey team" for us under Moore, which was complete nonsense: they kept beating us because Reid won the tactical battle every single time.

AWMSC

They'd have everything to lose. If they choose to come here and get relegated it will undoubtedly damage their reputation, even with the circumstances they'll have taken over in. If you can't keep a full-time team in the division then Premiership clubs aren't going to want you. and they've got a reputation good enough to move to that level already anyway. They get relegated with their current club and while it's disappointing, they're seen as overachieving just by being in the division in the first place and there's a 'taken them as far as they can' feeling to it, so it doesn't massively harm their reputation. They get relegated with a full-time team, they're a failure. Morton is absolutely not a safer bet for Murray or Hartley right now.

Exactly. I don't see either of them going anywhere this season. Hartley must fancy his chances of the play-offs and Murray should be confident of avoiding relegation, which with part-time clubs would enhance their reputations. The added bonus for them would be if a bigger job didn't come up for them in the summer they would then have the opportunity to gain further reputation in next years Championship, and all the media attention that will bring.

Coming to Morton would be a MASSIVE gamble for their careers.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I don't really see that a manager had to be universally liked to get results. There's so many reasons a player can dislike a manager too, so a few dressing room rumours isn't really much of a black mark against Reid's credentials.

Sir Alex Ferguson.

Billy Reid I don't know about - Is he not a proponent of boring football?

Erm yes, because in our dire position entertaining the sweetie-rustlers in the stand is certainly a top priority.  :1eye:

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Why do people want Barry Smith? Just out of curiousity as I don't think he is anywhere near the man we need.

Hartley or Murray won't come, so for me either Shiels or Reid. Don't care about playing good just get the points on the board.

I don't have a preference. I thought about Smith as he's out of work I think, can get a team out of a relegation fight. Calderwood?

Smith is u20 coach at Ross County.

From McBookie.com

David Hopkin 3/1

Barry Smith 4/1

Kenny Shiels 8/1

Billy Reid 8/1

John Hughes 8/1

Marko Rajamaki 12/1

Jimmy Calderwood 12/1

Jimmy Nicholl 12/1

Paul Hartley 16/1

Ian Murray 16/1

John Roberston 16/1

Gus Mcpherson 16/1

Colin Cameron 20/1

Stevie Aitken 20/1

Neil Warnock 33/1

Glad Hoppy is getting a chance, hope he makes a go of it.

If it's Barry Smith we might as well lock the gates and turn the lights off for the next few years. Does seem like a typical Rae appointment mind you.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

I can't believe Hopkin is even considered. We need a new experienced management team in. I don't care if Billy Reid's style of football is boring. I'd rather that than watch us get pumped down to the seaside leagues.

Archived