Goalkeeper - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Goalkeeper

pink_panther

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only one that thinks Gaston needs to command his area a bit more. A bit dodgy at times

Possibly - he's a young goalkeeper who has taken a big step up, and maybe (very ocassionally) it shows, but nothing I'm all that worried about. At Firhill Partick had a lot of corners and freekicks towards the end of the game and he managed to get something on most of them. He's also made excellent saves at crucial times in each of the last two games - a very good goalkeeper, who will only get better.

I think it speaks volumes for Gaston that his performances are rarely a talking point and there isn't ever much chat on here about him.

He is a competent young keeper who goes about his business quietly and effectively.

While Colin Stewart ranged from excellent to horrendous, Gaston seems consistent and rarely makes too many errors or tries to be too exuberant.

Great signing imo.

The thing i find strange about Gaston is that when he first joined i was amazed that he could kick the ball into the opposition penalty box, which after having Colin Stewart's kicks for years was a breath of fresh air, but he doesn't seem to be able to get that much power on it anymore and his kicking looks a little bit suspect at times.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

The thing i find strange about Gaston is that when he first joined i was amazed that he could kick the ball into the opposition penalty box, which after having Colin Stewart's kicks for years was a breath of fresh air, but he doesn't seem to be able to get that much power on it anymore and his kicking looks a little bit suspect at times.

He had one kick out (as I recall) in the recent home game against Turriff which took a bounce before going for a goal kick at the other end! On form his kicking is superb - he regularly finds Spoonsy 30 - 40 yards from goal for example - and he also throws the ball out confidently to team mates.

I agree his kicking form has faltered a wee bit of late, but it's still damned good IMO.

I think he's a decent keeper for this level and he will get better. After some of the concerns we've had with keepers over recent years it's nice not to worry every time the ball goes into the box.

I think he's an excellent shot stopper and his distribution is very good. He is still young and with 2 very experienced centre backs in front of him will be learning with every game. I was very impressed with how long he stayed on his feet for the Partick chance from the acute angle on Boxing Day. He is also quick off his line to clear. His handling is also a strong point and he will find himself gaining in confidence the more he trains and plays with a settled defence.

The cat also has a lot of experience and with Hutton as our back up keeper (having been at a lot of clubs and different coaches) he will be picking up a lot of hints and tips.

For a guy who only went pro at the start of the season I think we have found a cracker. Potential problem keeping hold of him if he continues to progress at this rate.

Archived