Goalkeeper - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Goalkeeper

pink_panther

I thought McGurn was a good keeper but for me Gaston looks as if he could be even better given time. Also gets more distance on his kicks than any keeper I can remember - it looks to me as if he could more or less drop the ball on to the opposition penalty spot if he wanted to from the edge of our area.

The current team looks to me to be as good as the 95/96 team, possibly even better. I love going to Morton games at the moment. you can be pretty sure you're going to see some decent football played. Much prefer now to the dreary misery of scraping a draw at Berwick around this time about 8 years ago (despite a superb fist time volley from Chris Miller).

Really? To quote Mr McEnroe, 'you cannot be serious'.

Tidster and Fred as good as or better than McInnes and Linberg? I think not. Also Partick and Dunfermline as good as the Dunfermline and Dundee United sides of that period? Nah.

It's nice to see Morton top of the league and all that but let's keep some sanity.

Baines was the best keeper I've seen at Cappielow and I'd say Maxwell was next best. Testament to Gaston is that in the couple of games I've seen him in I've not really noticed him, which is good for a keeper.

Edited to make easier to read.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
****waves to David****

Yeah...waves to David...original <_>

No one plays 500 odd games for Morton, only 1 season of which was outside the top 2 leagues, if they were as limited as you're trying to make out.

Compare Wylies early Morton career with Gastons and I'd say Wylie edges it. He came into a team in freefall and helped turn a season around. Next year he played his part in winning the title. Scotland U21 recognition and all as a PT player.

Not bad for a bumbling mug that couldn't kick a ball straight.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

I thought McGurn was a good keeper but for me Gaston looks as if he could be even better given time. Also gets more distance on his kicks than any keeper I can remember - it looks to me as if he could more or less drop the ball on to the opposition penalty spot if he wanted to from the edge of our area.

The current team looks to me to be as good as the 95/96 team, possibly even better. I love going to Morton games at the moment. you can be pretty sure you're going to see some decent football played. Much prefer now to the dreary misery of scraping a draw at Berwick around this time about 8 years ago (despite a superb fist time volley from Chris Miller).

What a strike that was.

No one plays 500 odd games for Morton, only 1 season of which was outside the top 2 leagues, if they were as limited as you're trying to make out.

Compare Wylies early Morton career with Gastons and I'd say Wylie edges it. He came into a team in freefall and helped turn a season around. Next year he played his part in winning the title. Scotland U21 recognition and all as a PT player.

The pass back rule finished him. Whilst previously he did let a couple go past him or through his legs (Rangers and East Fife) once he could not pick it up he became a bombscare.

He was a good shot stopper (the Dumbarton promotion game springs to mind), but very dubious with crosses, kick outs and later, pass backs.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

So are you denying what myself or AT recall is accurate? Punching into his own net etc? These were facts, not figments of our imagination. As I said, I liked Wylie but let's not pretend he was a great goalkeeper.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Poor at both first and second goal yesterday.

While most certainly a work in progress the second goal on Saturday was hardly Gaston's fault - he had it covered until Rusty deflected the shot out of Gaston's hands into the net!

Poor at both first and second goal yesterday.

I thought he was totally blameles for each of their goals. It sounds like you've made your mind up about him already.

Depends which part of McGurn's career you are talking about.

He signed for us at 21, Gaston is 25.

I'm talking about the here and now.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

So are you denying what myself or AT recall is accurate? Punching into his own net etc? These were facts, not figments of our imagination. As I said, I liked Wylie but let's not pretend he was a great goalkeeper.

Of course not LT. All those things happened over a very long career, all I'm saying is he wasn't the calamity AT described. For all the letting the ball in thru his legs against East Fife moments there were also unbelievable saves against the likes of Rangers and Motherwell in cup games.

I'd like to know what his record with penalties was, might be the rose tinted specs but I seem to remember DW saving quite a few.

Anyway, if you're rating Morton keepers then he has to be ahead of the likes of McGurn, Coyle, Boswell etc. but he didn't have the ability of Maxwell. I'd still take him ahead of that snake any day of the week.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

Guest David Edwards
Anyway, if you're rating Morton keepers then he has to be ahead of the likes of McGurn, Coyle, Boswell etc. but he didn't have the ability of Maxwell. I'd still take him ahead of that snake any day of the week.

Agreed, Maxwell was probably one of the best keepers we had in my time watching Morton, but his disgraceful conduct towards the end of the Scott crisis was unforgiveable. As for Wylie (again during my time following Morton) I'd place him a very creditable 3rd behind Baines and Sorensen.

Guest Eric M.
Agreed, Maxwell was probably one of the best keepers we had in my had in my time watching Morton, but his disgraceful conduct towards the end of the Scott crisis was unforgiveable. As for Wylie (again during my time following Morton) I'd place him a very creditable 3rd behind Baines and Sorensen.

Erik Sorensen was a favourite of mine mainly because he was the best I've seen at saving penalties. Unfortunately he could also let in a thirty yard 'trundler'. I would agree that overall Roy Baines was the best I've seen playing for Morton.

Both your recollections of Wylie are selectively patchy at best.

Wylie was the keeper the last time Morton were promoted to the Premier League, and I'm pretty sure he was Morton's player of the year in the awful season that followed. He also got selected for the Scotland u-21 squad. Doesn't suggest he was anything other than a good keeper.

Yes, he had his faults, but he also made some of the best saves I've ever seen. One against Clydebank at Kilbowie always stands out for me... a 'Gordon Banks'.

Guest David Edwards
Erik Sorensen was a favourite of mine mainly because he was the best I've seen at saving penalties. Unfortunately he could also let in a thirty yard 'trundler'. I would agree that overall Roy Baines was the best I've seen playing for Morton.

Yes, Erik did let in some howlers. Retrospection more often than not is rose tinted however the 'man in black' made some of the most spectacular saves I've seen.

Really? To quote Mr McEnroe, 'you cannot be serious'.

Tidster and Fred as good as or better than McInnes and Linberg? I think not. Also Partick and Dunfermline as good as the Dunfermline and Dundee United sides of that period? Nah.

It's nice to see Morton top of the league and all that but let's keep some sanity.

Baines was the best keeper I've seen at Cappielow and I'd say Maxwell was next best. Testament to Gaston is that in the couple of games I've seen him in I've not really noticed him, which is good for a keeper.

Edited to make easier to read.

Thanks for changing that from Russian Dave :)

RIP New Order...

Yes, Erik did let in some howlers. Retrospection more often than not is rose tinted however the 'man in black' made some of the most spectacular saves I've seen.

I agree with that. Erik was probably the most athletic keeper I've seen for the Ton and he did make some unbelievably good saves when a goal seemed certain. Roy Baines has always been my top choice though for sheer consistency and bravery at a time when keepers weren't quite so well protected.

Archived