Goalkeeper - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Goalkeeper

pink_panther

If Colin Stewart put in similar performances he'd have been verbally abused.

That's the game. Criticise the best keeper I've seen playing for Morton in 25 years three days after we go top of the league. Nothing like a bit of solidarity. <_>

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's the game. Criticise the best keeper I've seen playing for Morton in 25 years three days after we go top of the league. Nothing like a bit of solidarity. <_>

Point out where I criticise the goalkeeper? And seriously best keeper in 25 years? All the way back to 1988???

Point out where I criticise the goalkeeper? And seriously best keeper in 25 years? All the way back to 1988???

You've inadvertently criticised with the statement you made.

Yes, all the way back to 1988. Tell me who you think was better? Maybe Boswell but he wasn't here long enough and I wouldn't give Maxwell the time of day due to his hanging young Carlin out to dry.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

You've inadvertently criticised with the statement you made.

Yes, all the way back to 1988. Tell me who you think was better? Maybe Boswell but he wasn't here long enough and I wouldn't give Maxwell the time of day due to his hanging young Carlin out to dry.

Sorry, he is a good keeper, but is nowhere near as good as Wylie or Maxwell. He is the best since then by a distance though.

Mon the Ton

Sorry, he is a good keeper, but is nowhere near as good as Wylie or Maxwell. He is the best since then by a distance though.

Good goalkeeper yes, better than McGurn no.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Funnily enough there are aspects of Gaston's play which are reminiscent of McGurn's. David is seven years older and is unlikely to play at a higher level than the Scottish First Division. I'd not be surprised to see Gaston eventually do better. Twenty five is still quite young for a full time professional goalie.

Funnily enough there are aspects of Gaston's play which are reminiscent of McGurn's. David is seven years older and is unlikely to play at a higher level than the Scottish First Division. I'd not be surprised to see Gaston eventually do better. Twenty five is still quite young for a full time professional goalie.

Yeah, I should have included 'yet' in that sentence.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

David Whylie was a good instinctive shot stopper,

Any time to think about it,,,,,,,, and he would make a complete Horlicks of it.

Foobs :ph34r:

Absolutely. One of the first things Stark changed after taking the reigns.

Since then I've yet to see a Morton keeper do fresh air kicks on the edge of the 18 yard box, punch crosses onto the feet of forwards (or into their own net) or send every second kick out into touch.

Oh, and Gaston is our best since Baines.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Wylie was an absolute liability at times. I remember him punching the ball into his own net against Stirling and let's not even mention his kicking and dealing with the passback rule. I liked Wylie but never understood why he was lauded so much.

I disagree. I think Gaston looks a more rounded keeper already, despite being much younger than McGurn.

Since then I've yet to see a Morton keeper do fresh air kicks on the edge of the 18 yard box, punch crosses onto the feet of forwards (or into their own net) or send every second kick out into touch.

I never saw Baines but your recollection of Wylie's similar to mine.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Correct. McGurn wasn't that great when he was with us either. Class act at Raith, but not so much at Morton.

Wylie was an absolute liability at times. I remember him punching the ball into his own net against Stirling and let's not even mention his kicking and dealing with the passback rule. I liked Wylie but never understood why he was lauded so much.

I disagree. I think Gaston looks a more rounded keeper already, despite being much younger than McGurn.

I never saw Baines but your recollection of Wylie's similar to mine.

Both your recollections of Wylie are selectively patchy at best.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

Both your recollections of Wylie are selectively patchy at best.

****waves to David****

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

McGurn is the best Morton 'keeper I've seen. What a travesty that he was dropped so often and for no reason while at Morton, notably to Mathers.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I thought McGurn was a good keeper but for me Gaston looks as if he could be even better given time. Also gets more distance on his kicks than any keeper I can remember - it looks to me as if he could more or less drop the ball on to the opposition penalty spot if he wanted to from the edge of our area.

The current team looks to me to be as good as the 95/96 team, possibly even better. I love going to Morton games at the moment. you can be pretty sure you're going to see some decent football played. Much prefer now to the dreary misery of scraping a draw at Berwick around this time about 8 years ago (despite a superb fist time volley from Chris Miller).

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived