Duncan Douglas Foulds Rae Obe 1931-2018 - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Duncan Douglas Foulds Rae Obe 1931-2018

GiGi

There will always be the question of 'what if?' with regards to Douglas Rae.

It has been well documented that he was the one who funded the signings of Lindberg and Radjimaki, as well as the appointment of Cormack, as he had one eye on purchasing the club circa 1995 with Cormack taking over the reigns as Manager.

Unfortunately for Douglas, and the fans, none of these materialised and we lost both the players mentioned, Cormack left the club not long after and the club was sold . . .

I remember the save the ton days where we all had an eye on Douglas Rae in hope that he would purchase the club. The season he took over at the club I think it was Stenny at home and at Half Time the tannoy cut to 'this is Douglas Rae...' you could hear a pin drop and there was a sense of the club would be saved as up until that point it was not official as HS was being his usual self.

I think it was that day there was some relief amid the fans that we were finally going to be saved and then came that day at the Gantock when it was finally announced that ownership had been transferred to Douglas Rae. Sheer delight, relief and optimism.

Along the way he has seen us with the 3rd Division, 2 Second Division Titles, League Cup Semi Final, 2nd Place Championship finish and a play off finish.

He was always be part of the clubs history and infrastructure and lets hope we can get to the Premiership for him.

If we are naming a stand it should b a new stand or if the Love Street stand is ever erected.

Do it for Dougie!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really sad to hear this. He made mistakes but genuinely had Morton's best interests at heart and will always be remembered for saving our club. Rip Doogie

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

RIP Mr. Rae.

Condolences to his family

There's no doubt that he was a Morton man, through and through. Whenever the time comes, naming a stand in his memory would be a great tribute.

As someone has already written on here; "Yours Aye"

Exactly my thoughts right now.

I think his announcement of a new signing on he pitch, whose name he said wrong (can't remember who it was) is up there with one of my favourite moments. I'll miss those pre-match pep talks on the pitch.

Thoughts go out to the extended Rae family

Yes, sad indeed, he certainly Saved the Ton for us all.

I was thinking of that very day just as I came to the above post, "our new signing ALAN McMeniman"

Sure it was Alan mcmanamusmin

#doitfordougie should be the theme for next season and beyond. No-one better represented our loyalty and affection to and for GMFC and his legacy lives on in our support for the club he saved. Trite to say, but thoughts are with Crawford and the extended family at this time.

Sad news, i will always be thankful to him for everything he has done for our club & while I moaned like the rest of us over decisions and the way the club was going at times, without a doubt he was doing things that he thought was in the best Interests of our club. His mic work was something to behold!

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

Might be fitting to have a minutes applause on the 87th minute, his age, of first home game or something similar to acknowledge his work at Cappielow.

Nice idea. Not sure the 87th minute part works though, bit late in the game, lot of people leave early and we could be 3-0 down at that point and it would all be a bit awkward.

Before the game would work best.

Archived