Sign in to follow this  
The Bewilderedbeast

Save the Ton

How old is Hugh Scott now? Could we be looking at a celebration soon?

• Upvote 1

Scott must go! ;)

Hard to think that was 20 years ago. :blink:

He’s 72 apparently. Bit early yet sadly.

Shame to see the Cowshed in such a mess there. How did that happen?

There was a Frontline Scotland documentary about Morton & Hugh Scott from around that time. There was a Professor Bert Moorhouse arguing that Scottish Football has too many clubs and Steve Withers being the Morton supporter that was being interviewed. I have looked for it on YouTube but couldn't find it.

Edited by capitanus

You know I hate every pop star that I ever met.

Shame to see the Cowshed in such a mess there. How did that happen?

Abandoned plan to put seats in it. They got a Football Trust grant for replacing asbestos sheets with corrugated box steel sheeting however that money disappeared.

He’s 72 apparently. Bit early yet sadly.

Surely older than that? Still high risk from coronavirus so fingers crossed.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU6v_KUXYAEZWHi?format=jpg&name=large

This was the "plan" for the Cowshed before things went tits up. Whether there were any actual plans for it to be converted into an all seater stand I suppose only Scott knows, but I always thought it looked a bit shit compared to other constructions around the time. Very "Hampden" with it not being much more than seats bolted onto old terracing. Having 20+ years of the Cowshed since has been a good thing.

He did convert the bench seating in the main stand into bucket seats, much to the consternation of a generation of away fans visiting Cappielow. That's about the best thing he ever did, then.

Photo credit to Chris McNulty on Twitter (@Chrismcnulty75)  ;) .

This was the "plan" for the Cowshed before things went tits up. Whether there were any actual plans for it to be converted into an all seater stand I suppose only Scott knows, but I always thought it looked a bit shit compared to other constructions around the time. Very "Hampden" with it not being much more than seats bolted onto old terracing. Having 20+ years of the Cowshed since has been a good thing.

He did convert the bench seating in the main stand into bucket seats, much to the consternation of a generation of away fans visiting Cappielow. That's about the best thing he ever did, then.

Photo credit to Chris McNulty on Twitter (@Chrismcnulty75) ;) .

Looks absolutely shite. Thank f*ck that never happened!

Photo credit to Chris McNulty on Twitter (@Chrismcnulty75)  ;) .

Of course it looked a bit shit. It looks like an old jakey turps nudger came up with that 'Artist Impression' on Microsoft paint.

Surely older than that? Still high risk from coronavirus so fingers crossed.

1948, so 72.

I occasionally see him and his wife kicking about.

He looked older than he was. He had that Mr. Burns look about him (except Mr. Burns was older than he looked.)

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

Photo credit to Chris McNulty on Twitter (@Chrismcnulty75) ;) .

There was also a model of a stand that sat in the board room that I’m sure was different to this one - from memory, more like the stand at Firhill.

There was also a model of a stand that sat in the board room that I’m sure was different to this one - from memory, more like the stand at Firhill.

Aye, that was first shown to shareholders at the AGM in the Tontine in July/August 1997 by John Wilson when he introduced Hugh Scott as the new owner of the club.

It was my first AGM as my gran had bought me shares for my 18th birthday and I remember thinking it was weird that they’d put so much planning into a stand at a time that money from the Football Trust was drying up (the National Lottery at the time was about 2 years old and had killed the football pools which contributed to the Trust) and they were selling up to a new owner.

There was also a PowerPoint presentation of how it would look inside the stand and it’s concourse, which looked quite impressive for it’s time.

For all you can blame Scott for asset stripping the club and attempting to kill it, Wilson and co. really have to take the blame for not striking whilst the iron was hot in terms of taking advantage of Football Trust grants in order to redevelop the ground in the wake of the Taylor Report.

Edited by Toby
  • Upvote 2

Wasn't there plans for a 'Jimmy Cowan Stand' to replace the Cowshed around this era, which was a stand similar to the Jackie Husband Stand. It was a John Wilson era project rather than a Hugh Scott one.

Wasn't there plans for a 'Jimmy Cowan Stand' to replace the Cowshed around this era, which was a stand similar to the Jackie Husband Stand. It was a John Wilson era project rather than a Hugh Scott one.

Can remember two things from around this era - the model stand mentioned above that you are referring to and a drawing in the Tele of a stand arching over Sinclair Street.

Never seen that video before, good watch.

Wonder how many of tbose there that day still attend?

We were averaging nearly 3000 15 years ago in League 1, its half that now.

Mckinnon and co have a huge job on their hands to encourage the stay away fans back.

All in with a Doyle Brunson

I don’t think we have stay away fans anymore, I think they’re just gone.

I don’t think we have stay away fans anymore, I think they’re just gone.

Agreed.

New fans, and new revenue streams are priorities, not targeting those that are likely gone.

Worry that number will increase if the lack of football drags on long term. Going to the football is a habit. Once broken it can be hard to restore.

We were averaging nearly 3000 15 years ago in League 1, its half that now.

It was also half that number 30 years ago when the club had been bouncing in and out of the top flight during the previous decade. The post-takeover period is a huge outlier and it is one of the biggest failings of the Rae regime that they seriously thought that it was the new normal and 'planned' accordingly - expecting a regular, 4000 average attendance in the second tier.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Agreed.

New fans, and new revenue streams are priorities, not targeting those that are likely gone.

Worry that number will increase if the lack of football drags on long term. Going to the football is a habit. Once broken it can be hard to restore.

If football starts before a vaccine then we will struggle to get fans in due to fears of being in big crowds (if we are even allowed).

On the other hand, if they can build up enough positivity and anticipation then people might come just because they are desperate to get out.

We'll dance on the streets (subject to corona) when that cunt Scott dies.

I remember Alloa away - i think last game of the season? Could have been our last ever game. Grown men in tears. Folk ripping the then named recreation park turf up.

Sad times.

• Upvote 2

TIME FOR CHANGE!

There was a Frontline Scotland documentary about Morton & Hugh Scott from around that time. There was a Professor Bert Moorhouse arguing that Scottish Football has too many clubs and Steve Withers being the Morton supporter that was being interviewed. I have looked for it on YouTube but couldn't find it.

Was it this one?

http://youtu.be/2MtSzgsOOTM

• Upvote 2

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.