The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

I was counting the League Cup as part of our poor start, but I never thought our point haul over the quarters was anywhere near that consistent.

I think it feels as if it was worse because our expectations were higher as the team was vastly improved after the January window. The most frustrating bit for me is why we never build a full squad to challenge before the season kicks off. It's almost as if we wait to see how we get on with the bare minimum before getting a full quota in January, if needed.  :thumbdown:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it feels as if it was worse because our expectations were higher as the team was vastly improved after the January window. The most frustrating bit for me is why we never build a full squad to challenge before the season kicks off. It's almost as if we wait to see how we get on with the bare minimum before getting a full quota in January, if needed. :thumbdown:

We had the vast majority of the current squad signed up last May. Other than the centre back position Morton were actually well ahead of most teams in putting their squad together and enjoying a full pre-season to work on the side.

The reason why the team started poorly - and crashed out of a piss-easy League Cup group in the process - was entirely down to Duffy's 4-3-3 not working and his refusal to do anything about it. His tinkering and return to the same plan in the final quarter led to another slump in performances and form.

This is another case in which gormless fury at the board for somehow not giving the team a chance doesn't stand up. Duffy had an excellent platform on which to build and has delivered worse results by his own doing.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We had the vast majority of the current squad signed up last May. Other than the centre back position Morton were actually well ahead of most teams in putting their squad together and enjoying a full pre-season to work on the side.

The reason why the team started poorly - and crashed out of a piss-easy League Cup group in the process - was entirely down to Duffy's 4-3-3 not working and his refusal to do anything about it. His tinkering and return to the same plan in the final quarter led to another slump in performances and form.

This is another case in which gormless fury at the board for somehow not giving the team a chance doesn't stand up. Duffy had an excellent platform on which to build and has delivered worse results by his own doing.

If you think a squad of ten fit players and a bunch of boys just out of school is sufficient to mount a challenge in the Championship, you'd better get used to seeing this season happen year in year out for the foreseeable future.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

If you think a squad of ten fit players and a bunch of boys just out of school is sufficient to mount a challenge in the Championship, you'd better get used to seeing this season happen year in year out for the foreseeable future.

I'd be interested to know how much turnover the other teams had.

EOho8Pw.png

Nice try, but your original claim was that the club held resources back at the beginning of the campaign - it didn't. A squad retaining a settled core of Gaston, Lamie, Murdoch, Tidser and Oliver with several first team signings made in May and June was more than enough to do the routine task given - getting out of a League Cup group and starting the season strongly. Particularly given that most other clubs had a larger squad turnover and were nowhere near finished building their squads. Nobody claimed that the squad on July 15 was equipped to win a title except yourself. St Mirren's squad wasn't ready either though, so your 'point' has been safely filed in the bin where it belongs.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Nice try, but your original claim was that the club held resources back at the beginning of the campaign - it didn't. A squad retaining a settled core of Gaston, Lamie, Murdoch, Tidser and Oliver with several first team signings made in May and June was more than enough to do the routine task given - getting out of a League Cup group and starting the season strongly. Particularly given that most other clubs had a larger squad turnover and were nowhere near finished building their squads. Nobody claimed that the squad on July 15 was equipped to win a title except yourself. St Mirren's squad wasn't ready either though, so your 'point' has been safely filed in the bin where it belongs.

O'Ware undecided RE. his future.

Has it been mentioned anywhere? Wouldn’t surprise me if he left and he’s every right to go somewhere else if a team at a higher level comes in for him.

I'd be surprised if O'Ware was in high demand after the year he has had.

'the year he has had.'

From the outside looking in - while his goal return has dropped from 11 to 4 - he was a stalwart in a defence that up until a couple of games ago, had the lowest goals against total of any in the division.

I doubt there's anything in 'the year he has had' that would stop any potential suitors from the league above from having a look at him.

'the year he has had.'

From the outside looking in - while his goal return has dropped from 11 to 4 - he was a stalwart in a defence that up until a couple of games ago, had the lowest goals against total of any in the division.

I doubt there's anything in 'the year he has had' that would stop any potential suitors from the league above from having a look at him.

Teams from a higher division will be have been looking closely at O'Ware all season. I just don't think they will be convinced by what they've seen.

If they are looking for a centre half, I'm sure some other teams in our league might be interested.

ETA: I realise the way I put it could be picked up in a way I didn't mean it to. I wasn't saying that O'Ware has had a bad year, but I don't think he's been at his best and I don't think he's playing well enough to be attracting Premiership teams. There was a spell last season when he looked like he'd be playing at a higher level sooner rather than later, but I don't think he has performed to that level over the past year.

Archived