League Cup 2017-18 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

League Cup 2017-18

After such a long summer break, a new Scottish football season finally comes into view with the League Cup draw this Friday from 6:30. 

Here are the relevant seeds for our half of the group stage:

DBJbl25XgAATzLH.jpg

DBJboSQXsAEuR-0.jpg

DBJbpwMXYAASyAX.jpg

Other than for screaming bores who whine about 'excess travel costs for the club', the unseeded teams that we want aren't controversial. Three diddies, one of which would be away on the opening day - ideally Berwick, others such as Annan, Stranraer or possibly Edinburgh City would be consolation prizes. Two cannon-fodder teams at Cappielow - pick two from East Kilbride, Edinburgh, Clyde, Stenny. 

A group that allows us to take 9/9 from the unseeded teams essentially secures qualification to the next round, which should be our target from the competition. The weakest seed is probably going to be Hamilton, but Hamilton away is horrid. I'd take Partick from the other three this time.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FAO: Warren Hawke/the Supporters' Liaison officer: in the event of Morton drawing Berwick your task is to hound the organisers into ensuring that the match is played at Shielfield. A friendly should then be organised at Stockton FC for the previous midweek, to kick off the tenth anniversary celebrations of The AWakening. This also applies to Edinburgh City away, with Newcastle being used as a suitable rest stop on the Friday.  

Make it happen. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

EK would be a good one for those who like to tick off new grounds but more importantly they are rubbish.

Cowdenbeath got 125 tickets for EK though. I said at the time of their Celtic tie, K Park would really struggle with our travelling support.

Cowdenbeath got 125 tickets for EK though. I said at the time of their Celtic tie, K Park would really struggle with our travelling support.

Are there any stands at K park or just do folk just have to stand at the side of the pitch?

Are there any stands at K park or just do folk just have to stand at the side of the pitch?

There's one "stand" and I use the term loosely. It's more basic than Parklea with only one side used, although there are vantage points outside.

ptr_ekn_051212kpark_01.jpg

I went with TonofMemories to the play off game which was the first time I'd been in amongst a capacity crowd there. As I was saying and as you can see from the highlights below, there's only the stand side that's used for spectators with one side being a car park, another for officials and another being a fence. I would have expected an Alloa or Hamilton type gazebo to go up next season at the car park end had they won promotion but I'm not sure about the likelihood of that now. You can at least stand, although the sightlines are poor.

It's also in the middle of a country park, so access is difficult, although there is plenty of parking spaces in a field outside the park. That'll be fine for a League Cup tie in August, but for a Scottish Cup game in November might not be too pretty.

Fair enough, got to wonder if they'd have a tie moved if they drew us (as opposed to Celtic.)

EOho8Pw.png

Move the tie to Stockton: problem solved. 

There's one "stand" and I use the term loosely. It's more basic than Parklea with only one side used, although there are vantage points outside.

ptr_ekn_051212kpark_01.jpg

I went with TonofMemories to the play off game which was the first time I'd been in amongst a capacity crowd there. As I was saying and as you can see from the highlights below, there's only the stand side that's used for spectators with one side being a car park, another for officials and another being a fence. I would have expected an Alloa or Hamilton type gazebo to go up next season at the car park end had they won promotion but I'm not sure about the likelihood of that now. You can at least stand, although the sightlines are poor.

It's also in the middle of a country park, so access is difficult, although there is plenty of parking spaces in a field outside the park. That'll be fine for a League Cup tie in August, but for a Scottish Cup game in November might not be too pretty.

Cheers. You'd imagine it's something they'll have to do if they get promoted in the near future.

Also a very decent highlights package!

Fair enough, got to wonder if they'd have a tie moved if they drew us (as opposed to Celtic.)

I would doubt it.

The capacity was set at 660 for the Cowdenbeath game. I would expect us to get more tickets as a League Cup group game doesn't have the same draw as the biggest game in their history, but would we normally expect much more than 3-400 for a similar game? I'd say that's roughly what we brought to Cliftonhill last summer. If EK gave us 300 tickets and a few missed out it would be more worth their while than paying rent for a bigger ground and not getting that many more through the gate.

Cheers. You'd imagine it's something they'll have to do if they get promoted in the near future.

Also a very decent highlights package!

Aye, there are plans in place for a 4000 capacity ground, on the outskirts of the town, which sounds absolutely horrendous, but in the meantime they're making do with a park that was never intended to be used for the purpose it is being used for.

There were always ambitions to get a club into the SFL, and subsequently the SPFL, but with getting that good cup run and drawing Celtic they've probably progressed too quickly that the growth off the park hasn't kept up with the success on it. Missing out on promotion this year might not be too bad a thing for them, although they'll need to go up sooner rather than later before that well runs dry.

Last season we turned over the tattie howkers on their own plastic patch with relative ease. I'm not so sure that any of those seeds would be such a push-over this season. 

I'd take any old crap alongside another goalfest at Stranraer.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

If the fixture schedule is organised in the same format as last year then we would be away to the second unseeded club drawn into our group:

Saturday 15th July - away to diddy club 2

Tuesday 18th - home to diddy club 3

Saturday 22nd - away to seeded club

Saturday 29th - home to diddy club 1

No confirmation that they're running with the same schedule but that's the best guide to run from.

Archived