History Of Morton @ The Beacon - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

History Of Morton @ The Beacon

TheGoon

Thought I'd post a link to both videos on youtube. More will be coming out over the coming months.

These are well worth watching. Both these anecdotes you wouldn't get away with these days - for better or worse. McGraw's story would have been early 90s most likely and the amount the game has changed even since those days is unreal.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuinely fantastic. Get along and see it if you can

This. I was worried it might veer towards yer da patter and be a bit cringeworthy, as anything football related risks outside a football stadium, but the writers have done a fine job. It was great.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

McGraw's story would have been early 90s most likely and the amount the game has changed even since those days is unreal.

Had a wee chuckle at Allan's story, but I think his memory may have been playing tricks on him as something doesn't add up. Of course maybe it's my memory that's playing tricks on me, that's also possible, ha!

But.... as far as I can remember, we only played Celtic once in the Scottish Cup while Allan was manager, in season 91-92 when we lost 3-0 at Parkheid. In fact I even remember the date, 7 March 1992, as it was the day after my wife found out she was pregnant with our first child. :) Anyway, that season we didn't play St Johnstone in the league as they were in the Premier and we were in the old 1st division. 

So I'm calling bullshit on Allan's story. :)

we did play them in league cup we lost 4-2 mciness and ogg in his managerial time at morton i think were the goalscorers  ,the game was suppost to be on bskyb but pulled out last min due to the welsh fa moaning about it, if allan says it happened it happened a man of his stature he can say what he wants  :angel:

Nah, sorry, that League Cup game against Celtic was in the same season. 

Allan is a bullshitter, you're going to have to deal with that. :)

I remember the park being flooded by the fire service, but couldn't say exactly when or for what game(s).

There was a fireman involved who I went to school with and he often spoke about it.

I remember hearing that too, but I kinda find it very hard to believe to be absolutely honest. Always put it down as a local Urban Myth, but you never know I suppose.

My suspicion is that Allan has picked up on it and made it into a nice wee story, which worked fine until some wee Belgian smartarse came along and blew it out of the water with cold hard facts. :)

I had a quick glance at the fixture lists for the seasons where Totten was in charge and while this is definitely reaching, this could be it:

4n7zjUz.png

Notice the big gap between the league game at Thistle and the Cup game at Aberdeen. It's not inconceivable that this was it and he got Celtic mixed up with Aberdeen. Instead of playing St. Johnstone before the Cup game, we "moved" it to the midweek afterwards. This would also account for the big gap between the Thistle and the Aberdeen games.

Nonetheless I'm also starting to lean towards "he's misremembering" at this point as this is a significant reach.

EOho8Pw.png

Think about it, if there had been any truth in the rumour that Morton were deliberately getting games postponed for a competitive advantage, that would be a pretty serious offence and I'm sure the 'beeks' up at Park Circus would have been down on us like a ton of bricks. And there were lots of folk talking about it at the time, it wasn't exactly a 'secret'. 

And I'm also sure a local fire chief's coat would have been on a shoogly peg for using tax-payers money and resources to do it. 

Sorry, it's a cracking wee sorry and all that, but I'm pretty convinced it's bullshit.

Yep, I think you're right. It's true that football was a lot more lax back then but this would have been too far.

Elgin City were stripped of the Highland League title around about that time for messing about with the fixture list to make suspended players available.

I can't imagine things like that would've gone unnoticed.

Elgin City were stripped of the Highland League title around about that time for messing about with the fixture list to make suspended players available.

I can't imagine things like that would've gone unnoticed.

That was the Highlands, they had nothing better to do.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived