History Of Morton @ The Beacon - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

History Of Morton @ The Beacon

TheGoon

If there is any truth in it, even this far on it's a silly thing to admit to.

Someone might call for an independent enquiry and put pressure for retrospective action.

The SFA could hammer us.... oh wait, i forgot, they are corrupt and spineless. Forget what i said, it's a cool story, keep telling it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a midweek game called off around 7.00 for a frozen pitch, possibly against St Johnstone, just before a cup game.

Can't remember who the cup opponents were going to be, but do remember a lot of fans turning up at Sinclair Street after 7 & hearing the news. As I recall we had some players doubtful with injuries before this.

That's probably what he was talking about.

I'd love to have you both for dinner

That was absolutely excellent. Definitely worth the money to go see it for any Morton fan.

Well done to the writer and actors, who all did a fantastic job.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Think about it, if there had been any truth in the rumour that Morton were deliberately getting games postponed for a competitive advantage, that would be a pretty serious offence and I'm sure the 'beeks' up at Park Circus would have been down on us like a ton of bricks. And there were lots of folk talking about it at the time, it wasn't exactly a 'secret'. 

And I'm also sure a local fire chief's coat would have been on a shoogly peg for using tax-payers money and resources to do it. 

Sorry, it's a cracking wee sorry and all that, but I'm pretty convinced it's bulls***.

Jeez, you're a  top notch Investigative journalist in the making. This story could the break you need. Suggest you call it Watergate 2 :ph34r:

Actually I bet that there were many similar ruses over the years by clubs up and down the country.  I've no doubt that the said events occurred - although some of the details have been fogged over time.

Show Racism the Red Card

Think about it, if there had been any truth in the rumour that Morton were deliberately getting games postponed for a competitive advantage, that would be a pretty serious offence and I'm sure the 'beeks' up at Park Circus would have been down on us like a ton of bricks. And there were lots of folk talking about it at the time, it wasn't exactly a 'secret'.

And I'm also sure a local fire chief's coat would have been on a shoogly peg for using tax-payers money and resources to do it.

Sorry, it's a cracking wee sorry and all that, but I'm pretty convinced it's bulls***.

My Dad worked with Morton from the late 80s to mid-90s and I clearly remember him telling me McGraw had got the fire brigade in to flood the pitch. It wasn't a one off either.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

It was good, but not anywhere near as amazing as I expected after seeing everyone's reviews from last night.

If I were to be (more of a) pedant I could pick up on a few things that were clearly wrong, but the 3-3 (4-3) game against Celtic clearly didn't take place in 1963-64 was obviously an example of their poetic licence. If they're okay with that then fair enough, but remember your audience.

When they came out with the "I love St. Mirren more than you" patter I feared the worst but they improved well, with the story about the good looking bird that holidays in France but comes from Paisley being worth a chuckle.

I'd hope that the club have the foresight to release it as a DVD in the run up to Christmas, but I won't hold my breath.

It was good, but not anywhere near as amazing as I expected after seeing everyone's reviews from last night.

If I were to be (more of a) pedant I could pick up on a few things that were clearly wrong, but the 3-3 (4-3) game against Celtic clearly didn't take place in 1963-64 was obviously an example of their poetic licence. If they're okay with that then fair enough, but remember your audience.

When they came out with the "I love St. Mirren more than you" patter I feared the worst but they improved well, with the story about the good looking bird that holidays in France but comes from Paisley being worth a chuckle.

I'd hope that the club have the foresight to release it as a DVD in the run up to Christmas, but I won't hold my breath.

Hope they do. I'd buy it. Really enjoyed last night. Didn't know what to expect but it was excellent.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Out of interest - why did Benny Rooney never manage after Albion Rovers? He must have been relativeky young and with a good cv when he left there but I don't know much about his biography.

I think he was only around 36 when he came to Cappielow, so would have been mud 40's. As far as I can remember he had a couple of pubs, including the Centre Spot, in Mearns St and gave up to concentrate on the licensing trade.

Most enjoyable 'Morton night' in a full house at the  Beacon. Audience needed no prompting to burst into songs which was great. I'd also buy a DVD if available

The Beacon looks like the building has been topped off with a huge container -maybe the industrial look was deliberate ? But it's a nice venue with loads of potential I'd imagine.

Show Racism the Red Card

I'm probably just being a bit of a pedant in making complaints, but a couple of other things- they didn't really cover the modern era at all, with no mention of our last two title wins or hounding Celtic in their own bin.

Also, whilst I'm not averse to some offensive humour, I suspect that if there's a similar production in 10 years time, you'll see a lot less sectarian jokes, with the way society's attitude to that issue is heading, much like Still Game's most recent series cut out the homophobic stuff that was so prevalent in the older episodes.

Archived