Jim - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jim

Toby

I don't think a game passed by without me looking for his shiny dome or that orange jacket he wore in the last couple of seasons to take his picture. Only Tuesday night bumped into him on the way into the game, and nobody would be surprised to hear that he had a smile on his face as we exchanged hellos. There must be hundreds of pictures of him that I have taken of him, always in the middle of the shed or away crowd. Always smiling. Always behind the team that he loved. Rest in peace mate, mibbe doing the bouncy, just mibbe.

Tontastic : Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not nearly as life-changing as LT's example but I remember sitting in the stand with him at a reserve game against Gretna (which he drove me to... and back from :P ) when I was having some hard times at home and he was sharing a lot of his own experiences from growing up, which helped put a lot of things into perspective. It sounds like this was typical.

Really sad news but nice to hear the tributes from fans and friends. Apologies if mentioned before but I presume that this was an untimely death? Didn't know the guy but obviously held in very high regard by many so my condolences to his wife family and friends

I don't think a game passed by without me looking for his shiny dome or that orange jacket he wore in the last couple of seasons to take his picture. Only Tuesday night bumped into him on the way into the game, and nobody would be surprised to hear that he had a smile on his face as we exchanged hellos. There must be hundreds of pictures of him that I have taken of him, always in the middle of the shed or away crowd. Always smiling. Always behind the team that he loved. Rest in peace mate, mibbe doing the bouncy, just mibbe.

Thanks for the reminder. I've spent hours today trying to find pictures of me and Jim together with not a great deal of luck. Just found this very quickly (which I'll keep forever):

11402885_852930664798162_260805133397376

Thanks for the reminder. I've spent hours today trying to find pictures of me and Jim together with not a great deal of luck. Just found this very quickly (which I'll keep forever):

There's a good one on twitter of you, Jim and some others at Bramall Lane.

Ah, the orange Jacket. Could be seen as clear as day from the shed when Jim often stood behind the Sinclair Street goal. That and his shiny head as you say.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

There's one from the Dunfermline game the other week where he's standing just behind you, probably took just after we had been chatting to him before the game.

I hope she doesn't mind me telling the story, but I was incredibly touched by his daughter Chelsea's reaction.

We heard a rumour he's died as we got off the train at Queen Street before she took the time to phone me and confirm. It's an honour that she thought of me as such a big part in Jim's life that she did that for me.

And then, when I messaged her today and said that if she needed anything just to ask, she offered me the same comfort. I'd like to think that such selfless behaviour was brought onto her by her dad. I told her he would be, and was, proud of her.

And quite rightly so.

I didn't know him as well as a lot of people on here, but on Tuesday after the game I was waiting at the bus stop, and saw Jim waving me over. He said jump in, this traffics murder going down the way, so I'll take you up the road. I told him just to drop me off in the Port town and I'd hike it up, but he said it's ok and dropped me off at the top of the Port, right out of his way.

He said it was a night for staying off social media, because his St Mirren mates would be giving him pelters. I got out of his motor and said cheers Jim, I'll see you at Cappielow at the Ayr game, can't believe that I won't.

I hope she doesn't mind me telling the story, but I was incredibly touched by his daughter Chelsea's reaction.

We heard a rumour he's died as we got off the train at Queen Street before she took the time to phone me and confirm. It's an honour that she thought of me as such a big part in Jim's life that she did that for me.

And then, when I messaged her today and said that if she needed anything just to ask, she offered me the same comfort. I'd like to think that such selfless behaviour was brought onto her by her dad. I told her he would be, and was, proud of her.

And quite rightly so.

That is fantastic. What a credit to her parents.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

That is fantastic. What a credit to her parents.

Indeed, for a 16 year old girl to take someone else's feelings and hurt into consideration at the worst point in her young life was incredible. It's something I'll never forget, and a fine legacy for Jim.

I didn't know him as well as a lot of people on here, but on Tuesday after the game I was waiting at the bus stop, and saw Jim waving me over. He said jump in, this traffics murder going down the way, so I'll take you up the road. I told him just to drop me off in the Port town and I'd hike it up, but he said it's ok and dropped me off at the top of the Port, right out of his way.

He said it was a night for staying off social media, because his St Mirren mates would be giving him pelters. I got out of his motor and said cheers Jim, I'll see you at Cappielow at the Ayr game, can't believe that I won't.

This typifies him. One night after an all day session on the bus and night in the albert, he ran my brother and I home to inverkip to avoid us having to get a taxi. You'll hear of similar traits and stories from numerous people because thats just the kind of guy he was.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

This typifies him. One night after an all day session on the bus and night in the albert, he ran my brother and I home to inverkip to avoid us having to get a taxi. You'll hear of similar traits and stories from numerous people because thats just the kind of guy he was.

Yep. I'd be on here all night if I told all the similar stories I had.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Aye, I can't count the amount of lifts home he gave me after midweek Dingwall trips or pre-season games to save me a taxi fare. 

I'm delighted that two groups of boys are making their way down to Sheffield tomorrow. 

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

I didn't know Jim personally but he was a landmark at Cappielow and at away games. A weel kent face, and from the tributes on here a very nice bloke loved by many. RIP, Jim.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

And quite rightly so.

Fantastic. I said the exact same thing to her on Facebook about how her dad would have been so proud of her. She is an absolute credit to him and there is no better honour she could pay him. She has taken the time to reply individually to everyone on Facebook, as indeed has Gill. Unbelievable strength of character.

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Horrible news !

I didn't know Jim too well, I joined the trust board when he left, however he connected with me on here during my MODing days and talked me down a lot with some of the abusive gimps through PMs and smiles and winks at Cappielow, telling me not to take things personally and giving me character backgrounds on people hiding behind their keyboards.

It's scary when you lose someone in your peer group, I still consider myself young and daft, but like me Jim attended his first Morton game as a single figure kid in the 70s and saw Andy Ritchie/Bobby Thompson/Jim Holmes etc setting such a high bar for us young wide eyed supporters. A bar, sadly that we've never got close to since.

Anyway, RIP Jim and thanks for the advice along the way, I wish I knew you better but it's clear you spread your kindness well and your memory will live on.

pen.jpg

I didn't know Jim as a pal, or as an acquaintance, I just knew him as a Morton man, from my early days in the 70's going to the matches with the Lithgow Club in the Port to present day you get to know all the regular faces. Sometimes only a nod or a wink to acknowledge each other, I only ever spoke to him once in all those years but I laughed alongside him a lot with the patter going on around us. No matter where you go Jim was always there, organising and running things for the benefit of others. Although I didn't know his personal life, I didn't need to, you just knew it was good.

THE MEASURE OF A MAN

Not - How did he die? But - How did he live?

Not - What did he gain? But - What did he give?

These are the things that measure the worth

Of a man as a man, regardless of birth.

Not - What was his station? But - had he a heart?

And - How did he play his God-given part?

Was he ever ready with a word of good cheer?

To bring back a smile, to banish a tear?

Not - What was his church? Not - What was his creed?

But - Had he befriended those really in need?

Not - What did the sketch in the newspaper say?

But - How many were sorry when he passed away?

These are the things that measure the worth

Of a man as a man, regardless of birth.

Jim offered me great support when I was having my own problems and ones that he could understand through his own personal experience. He was a pleasure to know and an incredibly funny guy. I really struggled to talk to anyone about the things I was going through but Jim was more than happy to gibber and it was very good of him to do so.

To say it's a shock is an understatement. A lot of people owe Jim a debt of gratitude. I for one was proud to know him. I am skint just now but will be donating money to his fund. Sheffield United on my coupon today so that's one up......if it comes in half to the fund.

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

Archived