Morton V St Mirren - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton V St Mirren

garymcc1874

Not that i disagree at all, but were else could a camera gantry be built at Cappielow?

To be honest, I'd happily have told them to shove their TV cameras for such a big game. I'd rather not shut half the Cowshed than have the game on a channel that'll be understood by about 10 Scottish football fans; not really sure who gains anything from BBC Alba, seems to me that the league is basically hiding games by putting them on there. If they're going on TV, put them on in English to appeal to everyone rather than a minority language, can't imagine many neutrals can be bothered listening to Gaelic commentary.

AWMSC

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am i right in thinking only mcdonald and tidser have played in a meaningful renfrewshire derby (league cup 3-4) about 4 years ago. And i doubt they will have more than 3 or 4 goodwin and thompson come to mind it could well be whoever handles the pressure better wins this one.

If tidser is still out i would put pepper in beside forbes because he has a bit of dig and can do a job on goodwin if he plays.

Barr has to start his pace will cause then all sorts of trouble the question i would ask is after saturday do we stick with macdonald and johnstone or drop johnstone for scullion.

To be honest, I'd happily have told them to shove their TV cameras for such a big game. I'd rather not shut half the Cowshed than have the game on a channel that'll be understood by about 10 Scottish football fans; not really sure who gains anything from BBC Alba, seems to me that the league is basically hiding games by putting them on there. If they're going on TV, put them on in English to appeal to everyone rather than a minority language, can't imagine many neutrals can be bothered listening to Gaelic commentary.

Would they have been able to? The TV deals are spread across the whole competition, not individual matches. Which I guess are determined by the league and the TV companies. And we will benefit greatly by being part of the financial package offered to clubs, so it's just something we need to put up with. Cappielow just isn't fit for that purpose as it is, unfortunately.

Yeah, Morton's hands are tied here, it's really the league's fault for not negotiating a better deal. With the amount of bandwidth available to the BBC it's a complete nonsense that Scottish football can only find public broadcast on a Gaelic channel. Leaving aside whether or not the amount of publicly-funded Gaelic TV is a disgrace in itself*, Scottish football has spectacularly little to gain from being on a Gaelic service. It makes foreign syndication a hell of a lot harder and I think it is literally madness to think that the game can benefit from expanding its audience to a few bennies in the far northwest of Scotland.

There simply has to be something better out there than BBC Alba for even Championship football in Scotland. People say there isn't an audience for anything outside the Old Firm but if radio figures are to be believed that's far from true. It's incumbent on the league to find something better.

*it is

EOho8Pw.png

The problem is that the Cowshed and the main stand have pillars.  if we had a cantilever roof as in almost all modern stands the cameras could go up the back.  I still fail to see why they need such a massive platform though.  How much room does a camera take up these days?  I was doing an inspection of Palmerston last week and the camera platform there is right at the back of the new stand and looks a lot smaller than the behemoth that the BBC seem to need at Cappielow.

Best place for the cameras: the directors' box.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

The problem is that the Cowshed and the main stand have pillars.  if we had a cantilever roof as in almost all modern stands the cameras could go up the back.  I still fail to see why they need such a massive platform though.  How much room does a camera take up these days?  I was doing an inspection of Palmerston last week and the camera platform there is right at the back of the new stand and looks a lot smaller than the behemoth that the BBC seem to need at Cappielow.

Best place for the cameras: the directors' box.

Where would the directors go? In the sea. ;)

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

If BBC Alba want to invest in the game then good on them. Not many others do. (I also fully support the channel in principle. I think it's exactly the sort of thing a public service broadcaster ought to do).

How much, specifically, are Alba 'investing' in the game?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I fancy us to win on Friday too.  It's my birthday on Thursday so that'd be a nice present.  I also expect there to be a lot of trouble, having this game on a Friday night is madness. 

Really?  I dont expect there to be that much trouble to be honest, with it being all ticket etc.  I reckon it will go off with a few minor skirmishes if anything

Two games in and St Mirren fans are already doubting Murray as manager - predictions he'll be gone by Christmas.  Do remember many on here saying how Morton should have gone for him. 

Apparently St Mirren have a really young team - lightweight midfield. Dumbarton bossed most of the game against them on Saturday. Naismith, who most of their supporters seem to rate as one of their better players, was on crutches after the game - he'll be out for a while.

So, things really not going well for St Mirren... so far! :ph34r:

I reckon Murray is a good manager & will get it right soon, hopefully not as soon as Friday though

The fact it's live in Alba will knock a couple of thousand off the attendance I think, so I wouldn't be overly disappointed with 4,500.

Do you think Alba has a serious impact on crowds?  Im not sure, if it was on Sky or BT then definately, but i wouldnt sit in and watch a game in Gaelic unless i had absolutely no means of getting to the game.  Nothing against the channel or the language of course, i cant understand it and watching football without commentary is gash in my opinion.

I reckon 6K at least for this one, first competitive derby in years and the novelty of a Friday night.

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

Yeah, Morton's hands are tied here, it's really the league's fault for not negotiating a better deal. With the amount of bandwidth available to the BBC it's a complete nonsense that Scottish football can only find public broadcast on a Gaelic channel. Leaving aside whether or not the amount of publicly-funded Gaelic TV is a disgrace in itself*, Scottish football has spectacularly little to gain from being on a Gaelic service. It makes foreign syndication a hell of a lot harder and I think it is literally madness to think that the game can benefit from expanding its audience to a few bennies in the far northwest of Scotland.

There simply has to be something better out there than BBC Alba for even Championship football in Scotland. People say there isn't an audience for anything outside the Old Firm but if radio figures are to be believed that's far from true. It's incumbent on the league to find something better.

*it is

Aye, pretty much this! There has to be a better way of exposing our football to the masses (relatively, I suppose...) than a channel which only 1% of the population will understand. If you're going to start moving kick-off times etc. for TV, at least put it on in English. You won't get many passing viewers hanging about listening to a game in Gaelic, I wouldn't imagine.

AWMSC

Dunno.

So why have you taken it as a given that their investment is beneficial? Even discarding the more mental claims about fans staying away on Friday, the club could stand to lose money from a modest decrease, compared with any two bob contribution Alba add to the pot.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Aye, pretty much this! There has to be a better way of exposing our football to the masses (relatively, I suppose...) than a channel which only 1% of the population will understand. If you're going to start moving kick-off times etc. for TV, at least put it on in English. You won't get many passing viewers hanging about listening to a game in Gaelic, I wouldn't imagine.

The problem is that, taking Rangers (who, I think, are excluded from the Alba deal), out of the equation the TV audience is so small that none of the English channels have any appetite to spend money on the Championship and below. It probably works in our favour that the Alba audience is so small, because they don't have to weigh up the interests of a larger audience when deciding how to use its budget.

There are two English language terrestrial channels with BBC Scotland output. The idea that they're actually showing the utter pish they serve up based on an accurate reflection of audience interest is laughable; as is the apparent reduction of Scottish football's audience to that of some League of Wales-esque non-entity.

There are two English language terrestrial channels with BBC Scotland output. The idea that they're actually showing the utter pish they serve up based on an accurate reflection of audience interest is laughable; as is the apparent reduction of Scottish football's audience to that of some League of Wales-esque non-entity.

And those channels have no interest whatsoever in showing Championship matches, which is my point. Alba have, so good on them. I'd bet that the viewing figures and market potential for Championship fixtures not featuring Rangers is negligible. There's barely a decent TV audience for Premiership matches.

As for your claim that it's laughable - Alba's goal is to reach a core audience figure of 250,000. Rightly or wrongly, they see football as a way of building up towards that. Audience interest is precisely their main consideration.

BBC Alba and BBC Scotland are for all purposes the same thing. So... which format would bring in 1) more viewers and 2) more than two bob in TV rights to the league? It's a toughie.

As it stands there is no benefit gained for Morton moving a game to a Friday evening to fill the schedule of a no-mark channel - therefore their so-called 'investment' is not a good thing.

BBC Alba and BBC Scotland are for all purposes the same thing. So... which format would bring in 1) more viewers and 2) more than two bob in TV rights to the league? It's a toughie.

As it stands there is no benefit gained for Morton moving a game to a Friday evening to fill the schedule of a no-mark channel - therefore their so-called 'investment' is not a good thing.

I think you maybe misunderstand how the BBC operates.

We should be grateful that one of the tv stations is showing the game it'sa chance to get the Morton name out there to a bigger audience, and why are people moaning about not understanding the lingo when they'll be at Cappielow anyway.

It's not as if the cowshed will be jumping with thousands on friday there will be plenty of places to stand and see the game - just think of the poor midden fans in the wee dublin end on a cold wet night - well here's hoping.

Archived