Thread About Ex Player - Page 104 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Hope the hangover isn't too bad today, must have been a heavy night.

A decent, hardworking pro he is. Messi he is not. Should be easy enough to find another journeyman of similar ability as replacement.

The hangover's not great, it was a heavy night and I don't remember making the post.

But McCluskey sums up everything that's good about Duffy's reign at Cappielow. The guy was written off as a dud before he kicked a ball for the club and through his hard work he's proved all his doubters wrong whilst also knocking in some important goals along the way.

Perhaps I like him so much because of the chancers who preceded him at the club, but I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The hangover's not great, it was a heavy night and I don't remember making the post.

But McCluskey sums up everything that's good about Duffy's reign at Cappielow. The guy was written off as a dud before he kicked a ball for the club and through his hard work he's proved all his

doubters wrong whilst also knocking in some important goals along the way.

Perhaps I like him so much because of the chancers who preceded him at the club, but I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat.

Welcome someone back who left the club thinking he was too good? No chance. He thought he was too good for the club then go find someone better.
  • Downvote 2

Welcome someone back who left the club thinking he was too good? No chance. He thought he was too good for the club then go find someone better.

At what point did McCluskey say he was too good for Morton?

• Downvote 1

Well seeing that he left when he was offered a contract shows he thought he was going to get someone better?

Or he didn't think he would get enough game time so wanted to try somewhere he would?

Edit to add- we're not exactly Barcelona so can't kid ourselves on that we're the pinnacle of a players career so that attitude would do us more harm than good.

Edited by irnbru

Barrow is suitably located for the sea, where he belongs after deigning to reject our contract offer. No more Bachirous slithering back after a summer of failure.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Well seeing that he left when he was offered a contract shows he thought he was going to get someone better?

No. Perhaps the contract didn't meet with what he was hoping for, in terms of money and job security. There are a number of factors that can influence a player's decision to sign a contract, thinking a club to be beneath them is far from the only consideration.

• Downvote 1

No. Perhaps the contract didn't meet with what he was hoping for, in terms of money and job security. There are a number of factors that can influence a player's decision to sign a contract, thinking a club to be beneath them is far from the only consideration.

Other considerations being I suppose a desire to live in the back of beyond in a bit of a dump of a town where the rugby league team has until very recently been better funded and supported, play for a semi pro team in a crap stadium, on a pretty rough pitch in a league where, for most of the lesser teams, the top full time wage is about £375 per week (from which he has to pay for accommodation) and have the pleasure of making regular 300/400 round trips for away games.

At least the Lake District is nearby and he can wander aimlessly which just about describes some of his wing play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

We'll miss Stef McCluskey in the same way that we missed Kevin Finlayson after he left.

Harsh. I'm not saying Stef is a latter-day Vicente Rodriguez but his end product was significantly better than Kevin's. I do see what you're saying but it's a little harsh.

EOho8Pw.png

At least the Lake District is nearby and he can wander aimlessly which just about describes some of his wing play.

This is atrocious banter. You've totally shoehorned it. People can wander aimlessly anywhere, and in any case that doesn't even match Stef's weaknesses as a player, which were more technical than positional. A real 2/10 post, this.

EOho8Pw.png

He is quiet entitled to look for a better deal just as he is quite entitled to sign back on again if Duffy still wants him.

This is atrocious banter. You've totally shoehorned it. People can wander aimlessly anywhere, and in any case that doesn't even match Stef's weaknesses as a player, which were more technical than positional. A real 2/10 post, this.

Yes you are right.

I was reasonably happy with Stef's contribution last year and he did work hard in the physical sense. Technically though his game does not have enough to move the team forward and I think JD was right just to offer him a bit part. We need much more penetration against top 4 teams especially at home.

Having spent 2 years in Ulverston I cannot believe that Barrow is part of a career plan, just rank desperation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

He is quiet entitled to look for a better deal just as he is quite entitled to sign back on again if Duffy still wants him.

Wrong about the second part. The idea that Duffy 'has players playing for the club' and then letting McCluskey return when he clearly isn't keen on being here are incompatible. He had his chance and no further offers should be made.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Yes you are right.

I was reasonably happy with Stef's contribution last year and he did work hard in the physical sense. Technically though his game does not have enough to move the team forward and I think JD was right just to offer him a bit part. We need much more penetration against top 4 teams especially at home.

Having spent 2 years in Ulverston I cannot believe that Barrow is part of a career plan, just rank desperation.

Can't really disagree with any of this, much to my chagrin.

EOho8Pw.png

Wrong about the second part. The idea that Duffy 'has players playing for the club' and then letting McCluskey return when he clearly isn't keen on being here are incompatible. He had his chance and no further offers should be made.

That is the mind set of a fan all players know the score when it comes to contracts and they will not give 2 hoots whether McCluskey signs on again.
  • Upvote 1

That is the mind set of a fan all players know the score when it comes to contracts and they will not give 2 hoots whether McCluskey signs on again.

He's clearly not super jazzed about playing for the club, given that he's spending the summer grubbing around pub leagues instead. So far more like the wasters we had in 2013-14 than our current crop.

He had his chance to remain and turned it down - given he's easily replaceable, that really should be that.