Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee United - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dundee United

Always going to be a tough ask against the team at the top of the league but deary me we have to defend better and clear our lines.

Ifs and but incoming however if Muirhead scored in the first half and we get the penalty in the second it's a different game. Small margins.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Dundee Utd are the form team and with the squad they have should be romping the league.

It's no surprise we got well beaten and the players clearly have nothing left. Players like Broadfoot, French etc should be nowhear this level Power has made far to many mistakes recently.Ā 

People being critical of Muirhead after scoring a decent goal is madness least he done something which is more than can be said for others.Ā 

We need one more win to make sure of safety, by my God the football we play at times is utterly pish to watch surely that can't be the way Imrie wants us to play if we don't have Oakley next season which I don't think we will I hope there is a change of tactics and a reset because it's needed.Ā 

On Jai. Dougie has made it clear that he's not fully fit, and struggling to get back to full fitness. I think it's fair to question whether his fitness issues have been too much of an issue this season, but despite being disappointing in parts last night he should have been given a penalty and he played a part in the goal. He also helped a bit on Tuesday night when he came on (which really could've been a similar result to last night given how easily we gave away chances).Ā 

Edited by SpoonTon

We've had a hard time from other managers, pundits and (to some extent) referees this season and the 'big bad Morton' line has been an easy excuse for folk to justify performances when we were steamrollering the whole league in the middle of the season.

However, some of our players discipline has been terrible in recent weeks. Baird made an arse of himself last night, Broadfoot has had a few moments of losing the plot and Power has been leaving the studs in a few times too often. The overall number of fouls we're giving away and bookings we're picking up isn't constructive at all - it's one thing to play with physicality and aggression and another to lash out when things aren't going your way. That needs reigned in for next season.

• Upvote 1

Iā€™d have been happier with Power leaving the studs in a bit more often and committing professional fouls to stop attacks, rather than letting opponents run past him so easily when heā€™s our deepest midfielder.Ā 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chicken_Soup said:

Iā€™d have been happier with Power leaving the studs in a bit more often and committing professional fouls to stop attacks, rather than letting opponents run past him so easily when heā€™s our deepest midfielder.Ā 

True, but the main issue with that is that he's too slow and stiff to get close enough to do it a lot of the time.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

On Jai. Dougie has made it clear that he's not fully fit, and struggling to get back to full fitness. I think it's fair to question whether his fitness issues have been too much of an issue this season, but despite being disappointing in parts last night he should have been given a penalty and he played a part in the goal. He also helped a bit on Tuesday night when he came on (which really could've been a similar result to last night given how easily we gave away chances).Ā 

I'm told Jais making the decision if he's fit or not..

• Downvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!

8 hours ago, TopCat said:

We've had a hard time from other managers, pundits and (to some extent) referees this season and the 'big bad Morton' line has been an easy excuse for folk to justify performances when we were steamrollering the whole league in the middle of the season.

However, some of our players discipline has been terrible in recent weeks. Baird made an arse of himself last night, Broadfoot has had a few moments of losing the plot and Power has been leaving the studs in a few times too often. The overall number of fouls we're giving away and bookings we're picking up isn't constructive at all - it's one thing to play with physicality and aggression and another to lash out when things aren't going your way. That needs reigned in for next season.

It's been there the whole time it's just been hidden well when we were winning. Muirhead for example has been non stop in the faces of referees all season long

TIME FOR CHANGE!

On 4/13/2024 at 8:07 AM, Hightide said:

There are absolutely no small margins to be discussed here. Dundee Utd were streets ahead in every department last night. On top of not actually being good enough, the majority of our players look heavy legged and extremely low on confidence. If we did get the penalty when we were 3-0 there was still no chance of us getting back into the game, letā€™s be serious here.Ā 

There is though. Muirhead shot goes in at 2-0 and we go into the second half with our tails up. If jai wins a penalty then it goes to 3-1. Not disputing it would have seen us win the game however it could have finished closer.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come