Match Preview - Morton vs Dunfermline - 23rd March - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview - Morton vs Dunfermline - 23rd March

1 hour ago, Scott said:

He needs to give it a rest. He’s got a boy on the bench that he handed a 2 year deal to, yet never gives him a fair chance. Granted Boyd wasn’t great, but he did the same with him too with the 2 year deal. The budget has been there but he’s wasted it on those players. 

I'd say the reality is somewhere in between. The budget wasn't there in June-July which is why we were shopping exclusively in a market of unproven wide players, all while 'Frankie Deane' and the Tiktok defender were being touted as legit signing targets by quite a few on here who moan about wasted money now. Short memories right there.

Quitongo was a necessary risk we had to take with the previous year's available budget and we've got just about enough of a return on that, but we now need a more reliable option to compete at the top end of the table. The other two wide options are our much vaunted 'academy products'. 

None of these signings are high value additions or investments and we're seeing that in the low quality of output from all of them. We've correctly prioritised the spine of the team for signing effective players to compete on a weekly basis, but we're just seeing the limitations of that budgeting priority play out. 

As for giving people a fair chance - they train all through the week and when they come on they do not make a real impact: goals and assists to turn the game around. Those are the demands of professional football - we're not handing out participation medals to everyone in an under 10s team here.

It's really not going to be hard to make the jersey your own given our failure to deliver in that area of the park all season. That those two players haven't done so says more about them than it does about the manager.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

27 minutes ago, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

I understand people's frustration with Muirhead but this statement is utter bollocks. This season (so far) Robbie is our top scorer and he also has provided the most assists, without him we'd already be relegated.

Suspect that's in reference to the fact that, barring a few flashes, he hasn't turned up since his cracking performance against Ayr on the 2nd of January. Admittedly there's another few in the squad in a similar position. 

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

As for giving people a fair chance - they train all through the week and when they come on they do not make a real impact: goals and assists to turn the game around.

Bearne got a great assist in his last start for us, away at Arbroath in December. Since then he’s had 98 minutes worth of football in 8 games from the bench, only getting more than 15 minutes twice. It’s not enough time for a player to make an impact. He definitely looked a threat away at Partick last week, but expecting an immediate impact from a player who is hardly getting a look in is a bit unfair in my eyes.  
If the team were firing on all cylinders then fair enough, but there’s too many players not contributing enough for others not to get a chance. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Suspect that's in reference to the fact that, barring a few flashes, he hasn't turned up since his cracking performance against Ayr on the 2nd of January. Admittedly there's another few in the squad in a similar position. 

The season consists of both halves of the year, you can't just bin the first part to suit a hysterical line of argument. 

• Downvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

24 minutes ago, Scott said:

Bearne got a great assist in his last start for us, away at Arbroath in December. Since then he’s had 98 minutes worth of football in 8 games from the bench, only getting more than 15 minutes twice. It’s not enough time for a player to make an impact. He definitely looked a threat away at Partick last week, but expecting an immediate impact from a player who is hardly getting a look in is a bit unfair in my eyes.  
If the team were firing on all cylinders then fair enough, but there’s too many players not contributing enough for others not to get a chance. 

That's not unfair - it's the reality of professional football. If you're on the fringe of the first team, then your task is to make a starting spot your own by impressing on the training ground during the week and making an impact on the pitch when you get the chance. No player at any reasonable level of the sport has got there by being able to write off the last 15 minutes of any game as some impossible task to show their worth to the team. 

We're consistently chronic at turning around games from losing positions. The complete lack of demonstrable impact - rather than 'looking dangerous' which does not actually change the outcome of any match - is the cause of that and it applies to every single one of our gubbins wingers equally right now. 

As for a lack of fairness, we're seeing on the same thread here  complaints that the manager is being unfair and 'picking' on McGrattan for calling out a piss-poor performance after giving him a start, while also being unfair on Bearne for not giving him a chance. Well you can't have it both ways: if the manager is picking on McGrattan then how do you explain why he was chosen to start the match yesterday? It's almost as if Imrie is not impressed by any of these options and is quite justifiably frustrated by their lack of development.

This parade of excuses is not going to stop them from ending up in the seaside leagues unless they step up their game very soon. 

3 hours ago, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

I understand people's frustration with Muirhead but this statement is utter bollocks. This season (so far) Robbie is our top scorer and he also has provided the most assists, without him we'd already be relegated.

I said this year not this season calm the ham. He has been largely missing since January and that's what I'm referring to I didn't once say I won't rid of him or he isn't a good player I just question his attitude and commitment in the past 3 months. 

On 3/24/2024 at 10:25 AM, TONofmemories said:

Really wasn't impressed with Imrie moaning about budgets in hospitality. We're 7 games or so to end of season. Time to maybe get over it?

Still pretty frustrating at this stage though.

We banked significant extra coin from the cup, had Boyd take himself off the wage bill and yet we were the only club in the entire division not to do any new business in the winter window.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Still pretty frustrating at this stage though.

We banked significant extra coin from the cup, had Boyd take himself off the wage bill and yet we were the only club in the entire division not to do any new business in the winter window.

I agree.  Surely a small bit of speculation has to be the sensible option under current circumstances?  Especially considering we're guaranteed to generate a 6 figure profit.  Securing a play off spot alone would offset the outlay of a player or two.  

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

It's maybe the case that Dougie was reasonably happy with the squad and didn't anticipate we'd be so affected by injuries in February and March.  He already has another striker lined up for next season ) and I would hope that Oakley could be persuaded to extend his contract so other than a short term signing until the summer, what did we really need prior to the transfer window closing?  We were on a decent run and it would have been reasonable to expect that to continue in some shape or form.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

If I remember rightly Imrie has previously commented he did try to get a couple of players in on loan but others were able and willing to offer/contribute more than Morton.