Shiels - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Shiels

Alibi

I felt at the time he was the wrong choice. Not that he is a bad manager but because I didn't see his impact as being overnight, with a view on the long term which he had done at Killie. This seems to have been what has panned out.

I do believe given time he'll do a good job at Morton, however the problem, is when he came in time was one of the things we really didn't have.

I can't help wonder though if Moore had been given the same financial backing etc that Shiels did at the same time how we'd be doing.

seor-gif-shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like deja vu all over again...

Yep; blame the manager while the usual suspects at boardroom level walk away scot-free. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Time to move on to investing in youth and prospects, I think shiels will do well, give him time.... asking for a sacking is just crazy.

Haven't you heard? Morton are the only league club in Scotland that doesn't need to invest in youth - the SFA gives Morton a grant each year and with that money they start churning out the next Lionel Messi, or Andy Carlin. Only two-bob youth-orientated clubs like erm, Dundee United, Hamilton, Livingston or Falkirk actually invest money directly from the club towards plugging the substantial costs of maintaining a successful youth system. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

In the last 10 or so years some of the illustrious managers to win a Scottish League Cup are Danny Lennon, Kenny Shiels, Davie Hay, John Collins and even John Hughes was within penalties of winning it.

Shiels has shown absolutely nothing on the pitch or off it that he deserves to be the man to manage us next season. I'd rather give a competent manager a full season next year than be in the same situation we've put ourselves in this year by waiting too long to sack someone then replacing them mid season with some buffoon and before you know it we're spending another year in league 1.

You had this squad vying for promotion ergo your credibiltiy on Morton matter is shot to buggery on this forum.  

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

You had this squad vying for promotion ergo your credibiltiy on Morton matter is shot to buggery on this forum.  

Yeah, cause thats how internet forums work. If everyone on here who has had a wrong opinion about something on here wasn't allowed to post their thoughts again then the forum would be a more beautiful and completely empty place.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Yeah, cause thats how internet forums work. If everyone on here who has had a wrong opinion about something on here wasn't allowed to post their thoughts again then the forum would be a more beautiful and completely empty place.

Don't know if you know this, but you've to consult LargsTon next time you think you might need a s***e. It might only be a fart. 

I had my doubts at the time and whilst he talked and talked and talked, he had it all to prove. Unfortunately he's only gone and confirmed those doubts.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

Yep; blame the manager while the usual suspects at boardroom level walk away scot-free. 

For performances and results on the pitch the manager has to take the blame. If this forum is representative of the wider Morton support then the Sheils appointment was a popular choice. The chairman funded Sheils to come in whilst paying the contracts of Moore & McNally.

The chairman also paid for new players to come in whilst paying up the contracts for players to leave.  

How can you fault him for that? You can of course question his judgement in all of this debacle, but at the end of the day, he brought a popular choice manager to the Club and enabled him to bring in other players in the transfer window.

How much money was wasted on that, because it was a waste as we are heading for relegation, God only knows?

Sheils wasn't my choice and I said at the time we should have showed some ambition and went for either Hartley or Murray at Dumbarton.

Now, both those names mentioned could have refused to come to Cappielow, we'll never know if that would have been the case. 

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

I'll tell you how it works on here and in my absence BluebirdTon will keep you right. 

Don't know if you know this, but you've to consult LargsTon next time you think you might need a s***e. It might only be a fart. 

I'll let you know the correct technique for wiping as well.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I can't help wonder though if Moore had been given the same financial backing etc that Shiels did at the same time how we'd be doing.

People keep saying this, but Moore had already been given extra money and signed three complete duds in Novo, Stirling and Nicholson, as well as Reid who did nothing to stop the defence haemorrhaging goals. There's nothing to suggest that Moore would have turned things round if he'd had more money thrown at him. In any case, under Shiels we've had nine players out and eight players in; has there even been an increase to the budget from what it stood at when Moore left?

Anyway, there's no argument that Shiels is doing a piss poor job so far. The results have been academic for a good while so I'm not overly bothered by them, but what's really concerning is that the performances are getting worse. We're still not as bad as we were in the last few games under Moore but compared to the way we were playing when Shiels first took over, we've definitely regressed. We should be seeing an improvement, no matter how gradual it is, but the fact we're getting worse is a definite cause for concern for next season.

That said, I know people make the criticism that many of these players have been brought in by Shiels therefore he's responsible for them, and in some cases that's fair - how he looked at Jamie McCormack and ever saw a footballer I have no idea - but there's only so much you can do in January. There's not going to be many players available and that massively limited his options. No doubt he could still have done better, but that's why I think he deserves the summer to get a proper attempt at putting a squad together. As Nacho says though, we absolutely have to start the season well if he wants to last long.

I'd also insert a clause in his contract saying that if he ever tries to pick a full back in holding midfield again, he'll be sacked on the spot.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

This guy has been a disaster. Thought he would turn it around and kept us up but no. The players he has brought are useless.

Billy Reid I was the man for the job. Dougie - you are killing this club

Hindsight's a wonderful thing.  I agree he's been a massive disappointment but I'd like to see what he can do with a proper pre-season to build a squad.  Of course, this is all dependant on the budget Nick Leeson sets him. 

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Archived