Old Team Photo - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Old Team Photo

That's over a half hour since this was posted and nobody has made a comment about Davie McArthur yet.

I was genuinely going to ten minutes ago, but I couldn't be arsed.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

He was spotted in Glasgow at the weekend wearing.... wait for it...... DENIM!!!! :o

Genuinely shocked that the paladin of style and class has fallen so low. It's a short step to polyester and ignominy.

Not that it really matters, but it's actually the 1909/10 squad which finished 17th (second bottom) in the First Division and for the second year in a row avoided relegation by being re-elected. They actually went the last 6 games of the season without scoring a goal in 6 straight defeats. In shades of what we are currently experiencing, there was virtually a complete clear out at the end of that season, with left winger Lindsay one of the very few pictured to feature regularly the following season.

McCubbin was transferred to Huddersfield for £250, a big fee in those days, and the money was used to sign two ex international half backs , Stark and May,from Rangers for 1910/11 season. Jock Bradford came in as new goalkeeper at the start of the new season - fulfilling that role for the subsequent 6 or 7 seasons. Other new signings were O'Hagan from Aberdeen for £185 and Torrance, who became a long serving winger and later manager in 1927, from Beith for £10 !

Things got better in 1910/11 with a 13th place finish, including a 1-0 win at Parkhead in August 1910 and a 5-1 win at Ibrox in October (Morton were 4-1 up at half time).

I'd play that team on Saturday and expect a better performance than any in the last month.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived