Who Would Take The Job If Moore Went ? - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who Would Take The Job If Moore Went ?

ritchifan

You honestly don't think nearly every out of work manager in the country would be attracted to a full time position at a club where the chairman backs you beyond your time and provides plenty of funds (even additional funds once you've blown the budget on p1sh)?

Your reasons for questioning this do not stack up.

Given the amount of managers' we have had in recent years AND the amount of influence DDR has who would take the job ?

What do you mean the amount of managers?!? Rae has been guilty of giving managers like Moore too much time not too little.

Given the amount of managers' we have had in recent years AND the amount of influence DDR has who would take the job ?

:1eye:

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Before the appointment of Allan Moore the shout was for consistency, to persevere with a manager and give him time.  

Douglas Rae has done that with Allan Moore beyond question. His appointment of Allan Moore can't really be questioned either, as many fans were calling for experience and someone with a track record.

Moore had done well With Stirling and looked like he was ready to take a step to the next level of management. 

So, basically bringing Moore to the Club cannot really be questioned as he ticked most boxes for the kind of manager we needed and wanted.

Can Douglas Rae really be criticised with the appointment of Allan Moore? No, I don't believe he can.

Where it goes slightly wrong is the length of contract, 3 years? Hmmnn...don't think so. That in itself was a huge gamble. 

Realistically it should have been a one year deal with an option of a 2nd year. 

Two relatively poor seasons, the 2nd season in particular being nothing but horrendous, and one season where we finish 2nd in the league.

The dreadful end of last season alone should have had alarm bells wringing for Dougie. But he gave Moore another season with the backing of most fans. 

So, can Dougie Rae really be criticised outwith the length of contracts? It's easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsight.

Where you can criticise him is the here and now. No hindsight needed as it's all happening right now. He must act now or he will be as much to blame as Moore himself!

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

Where it goes slightly wrong is the length of contract, 3 years? Hmmnn...don't think so. That in itself was a huge gamble. 

Realistically it should have been a one year deal with an option of a 2nd year. 

He was giving up a well-paid lecturing post, he wouldn't have even considered it for only a one year contract!

He was giving up a well-paid lecturing post, he wouldn't have even considered it for only a one year contract!

Yes, I remember that at the time. Bit of brinkmanship there methinks. Dougie was desperate to bring Moore in and Moore was desperate to come here as he believed it would lead to a move down to England eventually. 

Moore made comments that he was getting slagged for not making it when his mates had done so.

Dougie should have stuck to his guns on length of contract. But that's all if's and but's I suppose...

Dougie should have stuck to his guns on length of contract. But that's all if's and but's I suppose...

Did Dougie want to give him a shorter deal? I don't remember that being said? I think the stability if the three year deal was fine - and arguably paid off when the dismal second season was followed by a very good third - but overall we're no better for it.

Did Dougie want to give him a shorter deal? I don't remember that being said? I think the stability if the three year deal was fine - and arguably paid off when the dismal second season was followed by a very good third - but overall we're no better for it.

No idea.

The ten years before Moore :Ian McCall (2000)

Allan Evans (2000–2001)

Ally Maxwell (2001)

Peter Cormack (2001–2002)

Dave McPherson (2002)

John McCormack (2002–2004)

Jim McInally (2004–2008)

Davie Irons (2008–2009)

James Grady (2009–2010)

Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another Drink !

mcinally had ddfs ear on all matters fitba.

He decided a yoof setup wasnt worth it despite the fact that there was a basic semblance of one when he took over.

Add in the cash peed up the wall on garbage players and hey presto.

The missed opportunity was Cormack. A shell of asquad that had no preseason. ddf interfering and cormack tells him to beat it.

Moore has us back to 2000.

The ten years before Moore :Ian McCall (2000)

Allan Evans (2000–2001)

Ally Maxwell (2001)

Peter Cormack (2001–2002)

Dave McPherson (2002)

John McCormack (2002–2004)

Jim McInally (2004–2008)

Davie Irons (2008–2009)

James Grady (2009–2010)

I appreciate you're trying to back up your argument but what manager is going to arbitrarily look at the history of managers 10 years prior to Moore?

We only had two managers in the 15 years prior to that, and at least Rae was involved as Director during that period: unlike 1997 to 2001, where we went through five managers.

If you look at Rae's time as Chairman, we have had seven managers.   One of those was an emergency appointment (Cormack), who resigned; McPherson and Grady were promoted players effectively given the job on a trial basis.   McCormack, McInally and Moore all had their contracts extended and even Irons was kept on for a decent period.  

There are plenty of clubs more trigger-happy than us (Livi being the obvious example) who have little difficulty attracting new managers.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Agree re: Cormack. What he did with our 95/96 squad was amazing - would love to have seen him given the resources and patience subsequent managers were given.

You've lost me. What did he do?

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

I don't think McGraw had as much involvement in the team as you would expect from a manager and most of the good work was done by Cormack.

Ah, I didn't realise Cormack was McGraw's assistant back then. 

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Archived