Spl2 Coming? - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Spl2 Coming?

Madton

Alibi does and so do I and many more.

A man who's obviously seen the club he loves play at the highest level and wishes to see them return there. If I'd seen the great Morton sides he has I'd be pissed off if so called Morton supporters talk down the club as deserving no better than 1st Division football.

It's ****ing depressing the lack of ambition for the club some appear to have.

I could not agree more - so why do so many accept and even celebrate finishing second in the poorest First Division I can remember ?

A lack of ambition is also something that you cannot throw at DDFR. He has followed his heart and thrown more money at Morton than any of us. A more valid criticism of DDFR is his inability to keep his nose out of football matters and just let others do their jobs. The last decade has been a wasted opportunity.

As for SPL2 how depressing that this seems to be the only option being discussed seriously to keep the dream alive. Joining the other whores in the brothel may appear to offer short term relief but struggle to believe we will end up as anything other than another eunuch in Lawwell's harem.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A man who's obviously seen the club he loves play at the highest level and wishes to see them return there. If I'd seen the great Morton sides he has I'd be pissed off if so called Morton supporters talk down the club as deserving no better than 1st Division football.

And so do I.

I started going to Cappielow in 1975, aged 10. Walking up the stairs behind the WDE and then seeing it all for the first time, even to this day still sends shivers down my spine. Watching Morton compete at the very highest level with some of the best young talent in the country was some introduction to football. I actually feel sorry for all the fans under 35 who haven't witnessed this and I do understand their frustrations. But you have to think it is frustrating for the older fans hearing that our place in Scottish football is in the second tier when you haven't sampled the top tier in your lifetime.

And for Captinanus,

" Partick Thistle, Dundee, Falkirk and Dunfermline are streets ahead of Morton in that regards. They are fringe SPL clubs, who have years of experience of yo-yo-ing between the divisions"

you obviously don't know that Morton hold the record for the most promotions (ten) to the top division.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Spot on. Perhaps understandable that those for whom this season has been the best in their time following Morton should be happy, but for many of us this is just a nearly season. It could, and I hope will, get a lot better than this.

Success breeds success. Years of failure have meant local kids growing up shunning Morton. That will change if we can build on this season's partial success and if people realise we are serious about moving up.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Blah, blah, delusional nonsense, blah, blah.

Who gives a flying **** what happened 50 years ago? It's wholly irrelevant. A whole series of ifs, ands, pots, pans, and "what will be, will be"s thrown about in that small speech. Where you, me, Toby, capitanus, BishyTON, Cawston, etc, etc, "choose to aim for" means the square root of **** all in regards to "our station" as a football club. The only people who matter in this scenario are the Raes, if they chose to walk away tomorrow then all of this would be moot.

Alibi was referring to the POTENTIAL of the club.

You criticise his 'ifs and ands' before attempting to justify your idiosyncratic 'put down' with one of your own. Who's a silly Billy then?

And so do I.

I started going to Cappielow in 1975, aged 10. Walking up the stairs behind the WDE and then seeing it all for the first time, even to this day still sends shivers down my spine. Watching Morton compete at the very highest level with some of the best young talent in the country was some introduction to football. I actually feel sorry for all the fans under 35 who haven't witnessed this and I do understand their frustrations. But you have to think it is frustrating for the older fans hearing that our place in Scottish football is in the second tier when you haven't sampled the top tier in your lifetime.

And for Captinanus,

" Partick Thistle, Dundee, Falkirk and Dunfermline are streets ahead of Morton in that regards. They are fringe SPL clubs, who have years of experience of yo-yo-ing between the divisions"

you obviously don't know that Morton hold the record for the most promotions (ten) to the top division.

We've only won the second tier six times, the same as Thistle.

The difference here is that Capitanus is pointing out is the other clubs have done it recently. I have never seen Morton play in the top flight and am nearly 30; so as far as I'm concerned the First Division is our level. This season has only gone to heighten that believe.

The difference here is that Capitanus is pointing out is the other clubs have done it recently. I have never seen Morton play in the top flight and am nearly 30; so as far as I'm concerned the First Division is our level. This season has only gone to heighten that believe.

pretty sure if the Premier League was larger (like it used to be) we would be on par with teams like the midden etc.

we should look at teams like St.Johnstone/Ross County etc. as a benchmark of where our level could be with our size of support.

I am in my early 30's and remember our last season in the top flight well. I wish we could return there asap

Nonsense. Ayr have an average attendance around half of ours. We are a far bigger club than them.

Okay then, other than the strip colours and the league position, and maybe a few hundred fairweather supporters, what is the big difference between Ayr United and Morton?

We are almost identical clubs, from big west coast towns with rickety old stadiums and perennial underachieving teams being run like its the early 1980's. There isn't much between us.

If Ayr United were sitting second top of the first division with a chance of promotion, they'd have had crowds similar to Morton's this season at the very least.

*insert signature here*

And so do I.

Nostalgia is wonderful, and fair enough if you have fond memories of the Benny Rooney era etc. but the reality is that football nearly forty years is a lot different from what you experienced back then. Morton are a lot different from what you experienced back then, and all the other clubs have moved on too.

For example:

Kilmarnock and Motherwell may have been considered equals of Mortons back in the good ole days which you refer to, but they are bigtime outfits nowadays and have modern stadiums, hotels, corporate and leisure facilities and can pay players healthy wages whereas Morton have not really progressed much over the years off the park.

Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Dundee are SPL clubs in all but name, we are light years away from being near where they are just now.

And for Captinanus,

I'll bet you didnt know that there was no JCB's used in the construction of Stonehenge. Morton's closest chance of SPL football for at least a generation was this season, and they blew it.

Morton should get to the SPL on merit if they ever get there, not on the coat-tails of bigger and better equipped clubs wanting a bigger piece of the action.

*insert signature here*

For those of us who were around in the sixties and in the Rooney era, that smacks of defeatism. There is no reason why Morton, run properly, couldn't be in the same position as St Mirren are at the moment. This season we weren't quite good enough but we were not far away. Our station is where we choose to aim for.

As far as Morton are concerned, I am defeated. 100% defeated. I am not ashamed to admit it, I have had a reality check and know that Morton are what they are, and will never be anything different.

We will only get players in the twilight of their careers or others not deemed good enough for someone else. If we ever get a decent player, he'll be playing against us soon enough. We will never have the Hampden days like St. Mirren or Kilmarnock have had in recent times as we'll never progress past the early rounds of any cup. Our place in Scottish football is supposed to be there to make up the numbers, whilst cuddly toy clubs like Partick Thistle cruise past us or your Narcissistic prick of a friend goes "Living the Dream" at our expense.

I honestly couldn't give a **** about how successful Morton were back in the 1960s or 1970s, it bears no relevance to todays football. The station which I chose to aim for was one which DDFR is not even on the right track, so spare me the patronising s***e because you saw a successful Morton team and I never.

*insert signature here*

Blah, blah, delusional nonsense, blah, blah.

Who gives a flying **** what happened 50 years ago? It's wholly irrelevant. A whole series of ifs, ands, pots, pans, and "what will be, will be"s thrown about in that small speech. Where you, me, Toby, capitanus, BishyTON, Cawston, etc, etc, "choose to aim for" means the square root of **** all in regards to "our station" as a football club. The only people who matter in this scenario are the Raes, if they chose to walk away tomorrow then all of this would be moot.

I actually give a flying **** as to what's happened to Morton not only just over the past 50 years but from 1874.

We can be a fairly big team again, certainly alongside the likes of St Mirren and Killie, but I fear that's pretty far away.

20 years ago Killie were down to about 600 fans, likewise St Johnstone, yet look where they are now. Bloody hell, even Ross County and the amalgamated Inverness side have overtaken us in a relatively short time scale.

DDF Rae has been on the Morton board of directors for as long as I can remember, and certainly had one helluva job resurecting us from the clutches of Hugh Scott, yet we still seem miles behind clubs that we should be at least on a par with. Yet the hard-core fans still go along, despite being let down time after time, and not knowing in what direction we are headed,. There should be a clear indication from DDF as to any future plans he might have for the club, but we are constantly kept in the dark yet expected by him to give blind allegiance to club.

In the past 50 years I've seen the likes of Bobby Collins, Joe Jordan, Joe Harper, Mark McGhee, Derek McInness, Derek Lilley, Janne Linberg and countless others of top quality players at Cappielow.

It would be nice to see such quality again.

I said promoted 10 times.

I'm not disrespecting you for thinking the 1st Division is our level. I was merely pointing out that if you haven't sampled the top tier before you are right in saying that, just as I am right in my assumption that as far as i'm concerned the top tier should be our level.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Nostalgia is wonderful, and fair enough if you have fond memories of the Benny Rooney era etc. but the reality is that football nearly forty years is a lot different from what you experienced back then. Morton are a lot different from what you experienced back then, and all the other clubs have moved on too.

For example:

Kilmarnock and Motherwell may have been considered equals of Mortons back in the good ole days which you refer to, but they are bigtime outfits nowadays and have modern stadiums, hotels, corporate and leisure facilities and can pay players healthy wages whereas Morton have not really progressed much over the years off the park.

Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Dundee are SPL clubs in all but name, we are light years away from being near where they are just now.

I'll bet you didnt know that there was no JCB's used in the construction of Stonehenge. Morton's closest chance of SPL football for at least a generation was this season, and they blew it.

Morton should get to the SPL on merit if they ever get there, not on the coat-tails of bigger and better equipped clubs wanting a bigger piece of the action.

I agree that we have not progressed like the other teams you mention but what i'm saying is once we get to the top tier and establish ourselves there, we can then progress closer to their level. If these clubs hadn't been promoted to the top tier they would be in the same position as we are now. The stadium criteria introduced after the Hillsborough Disaster have enabled clubs who are promoted, and then established, to pull away from the likes of Morton and Ayr. Our time will come, ive no doubt. It would be great to get there on merit but if it's on the coat tails of bigger clubs so be it.

Of course JCBs were used to build Stonehenge, they looked just like the ones in the Flintstones movie. :blink:

I'm finding it quite funny that some are actually aspiring to the same level as Kilmarnock. That's like aspiring to be Accrington Stanley. No offence to David Edwards.

It's absolutely nothing like that at all. What an odd statement, Cyril.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I'm finding it quite funny that some are actually aspiring to the same level as Kilmarnock. That's like aspiring to be Accrington Stanley. No offence to David Edwards.

I dunno, wouldn't you like morton to have a big shiny 18k all-seater stadium that we'd never fill, or a near £10m debt?

That's the riches that the SPL brings y'see.

Sounds like the dream we should be chasing eh ? <_>

The future just ain't what it used to be

In my life-time, Kilmarnock have been a near constant in the SPL, have played in Europe, and have won the Scottish Cup and League Cup. I'd have that for us, no doubt about that!

In my life-time, Kilmarnock have been a near constant in the SPL, have played in Europe, and have won the Scottish Cup and League Cup. I'd have that for us, no doubt about that!

So the huge debt & threats of administration/liquidation are worth couple of trophy's ?

That's everything that's wrong with football right there. win at all cost attitude, fuck the future.

The future just ain't what it used to be

So the huge debt & threats of administration/liquidation are worth couple of trophy's ?

That's everything that's wrong with football right there. win at all cost attitude, fuck the future.

That's down to the club itself, though. Dunfermline were overspending for years much like Dundee when they were signing the likes of Ravanelli and Cannigia. This can't be attributed to the SPL. Blame the club owners at the time.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Archived