Where's The Flair? - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Where's The Flair?

Alibi

Seems to me that compared to last season we are minus Fred, who was by far our best player and who stood out like a beacon in a sea of mediocrity, and we haven't brought in anyone who you would describe as an exciting signing. Where are the signings to get us excited and looking forward to next season? Zilch. Recycled journeymen from other mediocre teams. Maybe Moore has something up his sleeve but at the moment I don't see us getting big crowds and entertaining football.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Seems to me that compared to last season we are minus Fred, who was by far our best player and who stood out like a beacon in a sea of mediocrity, and we haven't brought in anyone who you would describe as an exciting signing. Where are the signings to get us excited and looking forward to next season? Zilch. Recycled journeymen from other mediocre teams. Maybe Moore has something up his sleeve but at the moment I don't see us getting big crowds and entertaining football.

Fred was never a flair player... hard working, tidy midfielder, but created very little - not his game.

Last flair player we had was Rajamaki!!

Signings so far are totally uninspiring. Looking like another 7th/8th place for us... zzzzz

As much as I'm a fan of Fred, a flair player he is not. Such players are few and far between with Rajamaki, Chic Charnley, Russell Latapy & Gary Teale being some of the few true flair players in the first division over the last 20 years

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

My point is that there's no hint of ambition or excitement about our team - we're looking like another mid table at best outfit. Maybe flair isn't the right word, but we have a squad of journeymen. Maybe Fred wasn't Iniesta but at least he could control the ball, get in a tackle, pass the ball, and do things that footballers should be able to do; where are the McGraws and Morris Stevensons and their like that we had in the old division 2 fifty years ago? Joe Masons, Bjarne Jensens, Rowan Alexanders? Even the likes of Bobby Collins at the end of his career? Rajamaki and Lindberg? Players who get us looking forward to Saturdays? I am finding it hard to look forward to next season, especially after the way we went from league leaders to 8th in short time despite having hopes of taking the title at the beginning of the season. Morton, and indeed much of our younger support, seem to think 8th is OK. Not to me it isn't.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

My point is that there's no hint of ambition or excitement about our team - we're looking like another mid table at best outfit. Maybe flair isn't the right word, but we have a squad of journeymen. Maybe Fred wasn't Iniesta but at least he could control the ball, get in a tackle, pass the ball, and do things that footballers should be able to do; where are the McGraws and Morris Stevensons and their like that we had in the old division 2 fifty years ago? Joe Masons, Bjarne Jensens, Rowan Alexanders? Even the likes of Bobby Collins at the end of his career? Rajamaki and Lindberg? Players who get us looking forward to Saturdays? I am finding it hard to look forward to next season, especially after the way we went from league leaders to 8th in short time despite having hopes of taking the title at the beginning of the season. Morton, and indeed much of our younger support, seem to think 8th is OK. Not to me it isn't.

Andy Ritchie had a wee bit of flair as well. Fred is a grafter with a fair bit of skill and dig. I agree with you in general. It's a strange looking squad so far.

Fred was never a flair player... hard working, tidy midfielder, but created very little - not his game.

Last flair player we had was Rajamaki!!

Signings so far are totally uninspiring. Looking like another 7th/8th place for us... zzzzz

I'd describe the likes of Kevin Thomas, Kevin Twaddle, John Maisano, Paul Walker, Andy McLaren and even Jamie Stevenson as fair players we've had since Rajamaki.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

I'd describe the likes of Kevin Thomas, Kevin Twaddle, John Maisano, Paul Walker, Andy McLaren and even Jamie Stevenson as fair players we've had since Rajamaki.

Ryan Harding seemed to think he was a flair player. Does that count?

Ryan Harding seemed to think he was a flair player. Does that count?

I suppose I deserved that for mentioning Jamie Stevenson. :lol:

Seriously though, I'd say that Kevin Thomas and Andy McLaren had at least as much flair as Rajamaki but were also better players.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Guest Eric M.

The team that included Allan McGraw and Morris Stevenson before the Danish invasion was mostly made up of free transfers from other teams. Together they made a great team who won their division easily and scored a barrowload of goals. Sometimes it's the combination of players who come good even if they have been unsuccessful elsewhere. The last few seasons have been disappointing but, who knows, this season could be better. Let's hope so.

Morris Stevenson was pure class and it was a privilege to watch him play.

Guest Eric M.
dont forget Joe caven who was in that team and Jimmy Wilson

Brown

Boyd

Mallan

Reilly

Keirnan

Strachan

Adamson or Campbell

Stevenson

Caven

McGraw