Fresh Start - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fresh Start

Players go through periods of indifferent form at every Club in the land. When a players form dips perhaps that's down to the player rather than the manager.

I would very much doubt Grady has asked Greacen to do things that differently this season than what he did last season.

Greacen certainly wasn't the worst player we had over the season. He does have bomb-scare moments, always had in fact.

At the end of the day players have to accept resonsibility for their own performance on the pitch. I could see your argument if Grady had put him in a position he wasn't happy or comfortable with. But that wasn't the case.

I quite like Greacen, BUT I feel that Shimmin plus MacGregor has been a safer central defence combination - and I'd be surprised if MacGregor gets a new contract.

However, more importantly for me - is Greacen really the skipper to take us forward? We seemed to have more spirit when McAlister had the armband, and Greacen's indiscipline makes me feel that he shouldn't be captain - that stupid foul early on yesterday could have had us playing with 10 men for most of the match.

Give the armband to someone else for next season, and let Greacen sink or swim strictly by his footballing abilities. McGuffie for captain anyone? As a way of encouraging him to stay?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greacen was one of the best centre backs in the league last season. His pishness this season is due to the management team. Greacen clearly needs good coaching, maybe even just competent; Irons was hardly a genius but Greacen was excellent under Irons. That he's gone so far backwards under Grady and McManus is testament to how s*** they are.
:blink:

take the anti grady blinkers off for a minute eh.

greacen has been a bombscare since he arrived at cappielow and thats a fact.

to say greacen needs good coaching is a ****in hilarious statement to make. hes not a daft boy and he still goes for balls he cant possibly win, you would think he would learn these things by himself or as you say good coaching but he still does it time and time again.

as i said hes a nice guy and commited, but not good enough.

hope he goes in the summer

sigs are for fuds

B)-->
QUOTE(C B @ May 2 2010, 05:40 PM) 738831[/snapback]
<!--quotec-->Buy a keyboard with a comma in it, you knuckle dragging son of william <_>

bloody I phone keys are pain in the bahooki is that shops enough explanation son of Satan :lol: :blink:

:lol: :lol:

well said, Bawheid.

McGuffie for captain anyone? As a way of encouraging him to stay?

Money will determine whether McGuffie stays or not. I don't believe he will be offered the same amount of money he's on now. And for that reason he will probably leave.

I hope not as he has been good in the right back role.

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

to say greacen needs good coaching is a ****in hilarious statement to make. hes not a daft boy and he still goes for balls he cant possibly win, you would think he would learn these things by himself or as you say good coaching but he still does it time and time again.

Have to agree with that. Greacen isn't some inexperienced youngster and his problem ie regular moments of madness, can't be coached out of him. He is what he is, a hard working, passionate guy with limited ability. He's probably good enough for the 1st div when partnered with a cooler head and he can't be faulted for giving everything he's got, but what we're seeing now from Greacen is likely to be as good as it gets.

I would get McGuffie signed up. Versatile, and at long last he is the player we thought we had signed. Actually I would make him club captain.

I'd let McGregor go, and Reid. Brian Graham I can't decide about as he gets so little first team action, but if he stays he needs to work on his pace.

More to the point, who should we bring in? I'd suggest if we need pace up front, David Weaterston at QoS is the fastest man in the division. Doesn't usually start for Queens but comes on as a sub. I have a suspicion he might be out of contract, but maybe wouldn't want to come to Greenock anyway.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Have to agree with that. Greacen isn't some inexperienced youngster and his problem ie regular moments of madness, can't be coached out of him. He is what he is, a hard working, passionate guy with limited ability. He's probably good enough for the 1st div when partnered with a cooler head and he can't be faulted for giving everything he's got, but what we're seeing now from Greacen is likely to be as good as it gets.

He seemed to do OK last year though? So what has been the difference between this year and last (except for the obvious one which is that the defence conceded 65% more goals than last year)?

The one constant with Greacen is inconsistency. Last year he was better overall but you could count on him making one or two howlers in virtually every game. Sometimes you get punished, sometimes you don't.

I would get McGuffie signed up. Versatile, and at long last he is the player we thought we had signed. Actually I would make him club captain.

I'd let McGregor go, and Reid. Brian Graham I can't decide about as he gets so little first team action, but if he stays he needs to work on his pace.

More to the point, who should we bring in? I'd suggest if we need pace up front, David Weaterston at QoS is the fastest man in the division. Doesn't usually start for Queens but comes on as a sub. I have a suspicion he might be out of contract, but maybe wouldn't want to come to Greenock anyway.

I would rather us bringing in an experienced centre back to fill the club captain role and replace Dom, someone like Jim Lauchlan (if Dundee have a clearout he may become available). Greacen (if his contract is renewed) isn't vocal or inspirational enough, neither is McGuffie IMO.

Peter would be an option I suppose. The only other person currently capable of the role IMO would be McFarlane but he isn't a guaranteed starter so I wouldn't make it him.

Agree with that

The one constant with Greacen is inconsistency. Last year he was better overall but you could count on him making one or two howlers in virtually every game. Sometimes you get punished, sometimes you don't.

I think he was consistently good when coached by Irons, maybe that was just coincidence though. Or maybe it was the fact McManus played alongside him for spells last season. Big Stew has always had problems with communication between fellow defenders and the keeper, I think with an experienced head alongside him he would be fine.

It is worrying though that a, basically, unchanged squad managed to concede 65 goals compared to 40 the season before. I don't think it is down to the quality of opposition improving, so the problem must be down to some change at our end.

The point you make about McManus is probably valid as Greacen benefits greatly from having a cooler (well sometimes) head alongside him but he'll always have that tendancy to panic and throw himself at balls he cannot win.

Have we had a settled defence this season with the same degree of defensive midfield cover we had last?

Whether in contrsact or not

Keep:

Coliin Stewart

McKinaly

Shimmin (tho he is deffo gone)

mcGuffie

Whiteeven

Monti

Greacen

Tidser

McGregor (Good cover)

Finalyson (use from the bench)

Let Go or sell

Grady

McManus

Reid

Cuthbert (Too injury prone)

Masterton

Jenkins (too injury prone)

McFarlane

Russell

Weatherson

McAllister

Basically the squad needs to be ripped apart and put back together again of we are to achieve anything other than the same battle to stay up next season.

next seasons division is looking to be a little easier on paper.....

JB.

Power To The Powerless,

Strength Unto The Weak!

Whether in contrsact or not

Keep:

Coliin Stewart

McKinaly

Shimmin (tho he is deffo gone)

mcGuffie

Whiteeven

Monti

Greacen

Tidser

McGregor (Good cover)

Finalyson (use from the bench)

Let Go or sell

Grady

McManus

Reid

Cuthbert (Too injury prone)

Masterton

Jenkins (too injury prone)

McFarlane

Russell

Weatherson

McAllister

Basically the squad needs to be ripped apart and put back together again of we are to achieve anything other than the same battle to stay up next season.

next seasons division is looking to be a little easier on paper.....

JB.

One or two inconsistencies there

Keep Shimmin although he has definitely gone ?

McGregor is good cover while Cuthbert is too injury prone ? (good servant as he is, Davy could get a part in Holby City with his medical record) Cuthbert had one long term injury that Im aware of ?

Get rid of Weatherson ? that's just insane, basically.

Jimbo is (virtually) away - probably St Johnstone or ANother spl outfit

I cant disagree about Jenkins Mcfarlane and Russell who have made little impact despite being decent players.

Grady and Mcmanus should be given a contract imo unless we can get Mark McGhee in :rolleyes:

Show Racism the Red Card

One or both of Dunning and Jonaton's theories on Greacen are spot on, and to dismiss them as "bollocks" quite frankly shows a crass lack of understanding of football.

Greacen is a more than capable centre-half at this level, but he is a confidence player who needs the right guidance on and off the pitch, and he just isn't getting it from Grady or McManus. If we were to bring in an experienced guy beside him, and a remotely competent management team then we'd most likely half the goals against tally next season.

AWMSC

It's not a fact, seen as he was one of the best centre backs in the league last season. Yes, he would learn it by good coaching, and he clearly isn't getting it from Grady and McManus.

Last year he was better overall but you could count on him making one or two howlers in virtually every game.

No you couldn't.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

It's not a fact, seen as he was one of the best centre backs in the league last season. Yes, he would learn it by good coaching, and he clearly isn't getting it from Grady and McManus.

No you couldn't.

you must be watching a different stewart greacen from me then.

the big mans clearly not good enough and needs to be part of the clear out thats hopefully on the way.

sigs are for fuds

Archived