Fresh Start - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fresh Start

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if McManus's team wins?

Then it'll be because I'm awesome.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Wonder if we'll be signing anyone from the fans' game - is that why Dougie's "taking his time"?

You may be right, and at 31 I may need to admit to myself that this may be my last chance to fulfill those childhood dreams of becoming a professional footballer . ;)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

i must be on my own here, but I would keep finlayson as cover for wide mid and fullback. The guy played with a bit of heart, won his tackles in the second half and set up the winner. In front of masterton, and the other chancers.

are u going mad his cross he never meant it andd look at the goal he nearly caused he is p*** end off

also i would get rid of jenkins he is even worse

"The board will then look at the list on Friday to see if they think any among that list should be retained."

Any ??

:blink:

Surely that means Grady will get the job as it should not be up to the board or then again maybe it does.

B)-->

QUOTE(big B @ May 7 2010, 01:27 PM) 740288[/snapback]
Surely that means Grady will get the job as it should not be up to the board or then again maybe it does.

No - I think that's always how it works isn't? Manager recommends certain actions to the Board; the Board decides what action to take.

What is odd is that the board would take decisons based on recommendations from a manager with no remit for next season (unless the decision's already been taken to re-appoint Grady) - for example, Grady could say I want to keep McGuffie, Stewart and Finlayson and release Masterton; then a new manager could come along and say "I never wanted Finlayson, but that lad Masterton was essential to my plans"!

B)-->
QUOTE(big B @ May 7 2010, 01:27 PM) 740288[/snapback]
<!--quotec-->Surely that means Grady will get the job as it should not be up to the board or then again maybe it does.

No - I think that's always how it works isn't? Manager recommends certain actions to the Board; the Board decides what action to take.

What is odd is that the board would take decisons based on recommendations from a manager with no remit for next season (unless the decision's already been taken to re-appoint Grady) - for example, Grady could say I want to keep McGuffie, Stewart and Finlayson and release Masterton; then a new manager could come along and say "I never wanted Finlayson, but that lad Masterton was essential to my plans"!

Do you have inside info we might be appointing a blind manager?

For what it's worth:

Stewart - Keep. Our player of the year.

Cuthbert - Release. I don't rate Cuthbert and his inability to deal with cross balls scares me more than the thought of Nick Clegg handling our economic recovery.

McGuffie - Keep. On the proviso that he accepted a contract within a more reasonable wage bracket than what I am led to believe he is currently on. He is a good player who is pretty versatile; though it is hard to ignore the rumours that he may be headed down to QoS.

McKinlay - Keep. Pacy, strong, good in the air, keen to get forward and actually left-footed! There are a few better left-backs in our division, but I don't believe that we could attract any of them to Cappielow and I'd be quite happy to hang onto McKinlay.

Walker - Release. Injury prone and is not first division standard in any position in my opinion.

McGregor - Release. I really like McGregor as a player and he seems like an honest professional, but injury has robbed him of any pace making him susceptible to balls over the top against quick strikers. He had a good spell around March, but injuries will always make it difficult for McGregor to ever have a sustained impact in the side. That said, if there are no better players to replace him, I would happily keep him as cover for any of the positions across the back four.

Greacen - Keep. I would not be entirely unhappy if he was to go, but Greacen is a decent defender at this level and contributes more positives to the side than his negatives detract.

Shimmin - Release. He is a very good player, but if rumours about his attitude and application are to be believed he is an expensive time-bomb and should be thanked for his recent services and moved on.

Reid - Release. Not consistent enough at this level.

Jenkins - Keep. He is under contract until next year anyway and I think a good pre-season would allow Jenkins to flourish next season. He is a good pro and provided he stays clear of injury he could be a key player for us next year.

Tidser - Keep. He has undoubted ability and with a good rest over the next 2 months and a good pre-season, I think we will have a very tidy player on our hands come the new season.

Monti - Keep. A decent squad player who can play in a few different positions and he has chipped in with his fair share of goals.

Finlayson - Keep. I know Finlayson polarises opinion more than Marmite, but his pace and work-rate are a massive contribution to the team and although his crossing perenially needs work, when his confidence is high, Kev can cause full-backs problems as well as helping out defensively.

McAlister - Will go.

Paartalu - Will go.

McFarlane - Release. I don't think that we have seen the best of McFarlane and I feel that if he stays injury-free another club will reap the benefits of his play which QoS have had the last few years; but I just can't see how he would fit into the current tactics given that he is best suited to playing the holding role in a 5 man midfield. That said, if he is still contracted (which I believe he is) and there are no better available players I would happily keep him in the squad as cover.

Weatherson - Keep. Probably one of the best strikers of the ball in the division. Hopefully he gets a good strike partner next season.

Simmonds - Release. Self-explanatory.

Russell - Release. Will probably sign for Stirling and score 20 goals next season if given a regular run in the side knowing our luck; but he has failed to make a mark in this division with Morton and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Graham - Keep. I think that Graham has enough ability to come on as a sub and ruffle a few opposition feathers in the manner he did against Ayr on Saturday.

Witteveen - Keep. I don't know if we'll be able to hold onto him, but if we can keep a hold of him until at least Christmas, I would be delighted.

That leaves us with:

1 goalkeeper

3 defenders (keep McGregor if no better options)

4 midfielders (keep McFarlane if no better options)

3 strikers

I would hope that we could sign at least one centre half and ideally a winger for either flank. A pacy striker would also be ideal.

why are wanting to keep jenkins he is crap

and alex ok may be injury prone but aint any worse than our diddy of a captain greason

and get rid of peter

Archived