Fresh Start - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fresh Start

At the end of a shambolic season for the club, I am sure we will all agree that we need a major clear-out of the playing staff and a new manager in place. The new manager situation probably won't happen as seemingly Rae wants to keep Grady for another season at least. But we all know that the majority of the players are at the end of their contract - so who would you keep and who would you let go.

The only players who have a contract for next season iirc are:

Kevin Cuthbert

Neil MacFarlane

Allan Jenkins

Kevin McKinlay

Carlo Monti

Peter Weatherson

Michael Tidser

Of them if I could get someone to take Jenkins and Cuthbert of our hands then I would let them go. Jenkins is always injured and Cuthbert is a very expensive back-up. Young McWilliams is a more than capable deputy to Stewart, who is undisputed number 1 imo.

As for the rest:-

Colin Stewart - Would definately re-sign him, but i have a feeling we will let him go unless we can get someone to take Cuthbert.

Ryan McWilliams - Would keep as deputy to Stewart, but if a better young keeper were available then I would let him go. Not a priority by any means.

David McGregor - No chance in hell.

Stewart Greacen - Maybe, but he never looks half the player when Shimmin is not playing beside him. Would let him go if we could get a better CB for the money.

Dominic Shimmin - Would definately keep, but he won't be here next season unfortunately

Alex Walker - Would probably keep him as a back-up, but almost certain that he is going to be let go.

Alan Reid - Would let him go

Kevin Finalyson - Not a chance

Ryan McGuffie - Maybe, but probably not unless he is willing to take a wage cut. Despite being one of our better players this season, we could get a better player for the £1k a week plus that we pay him.

Ryan Kane - Yes, but I would send him out on loan

Stevie Masterton - Would let him go

Jim McAlister - He is stale here, so I would let him go

Eric Paartalu - Already gone, but would not have kept him regardless

Donovan Simmonds - No way

Iain Russell - No

Brian Graham - No

David Wittenveen - If possible either get him on loan again or on a permanent deal.

So the only out-of-contract players that I would definately keep are Stewart, Shimmin and Kane, along with possibly McWilliams, Greacen, Walker and McGuffie. The rest should all be gone imo.

Mon the Ton

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the end of a shambolic season for the club, I am sure we will all agree that we need a major clear-out of the playing staff and a new manager in place. The new manager situation probably won't happen as seemingly Rae wants to keep Grady for another season at least. But we all know that the majority of the players are at the end of their contract - so who would you keep and who would you let go.

Kevin Cuthbert

Neil MacFarlane

Allan Jenkins

Kevin McKinlay

Carlo Monti

Peter Weatherson

Michael Tidser

Of them if I could get someone to take Jenkins and Cuthbert of our hands then I would let them go. Jenkins is always injured and Cuthbert is a very expensive back-up. Young McWilliams is a more than capable deputy to Stewart, who is undisputed number 1 imo.

Colin Stewart - Would definately re-sign him, but i have a feeling we will let him go unless we can get someone to take Cuthbert.

Ryan McWilliams - Would keep as deputy to Stewart, but if a better young keeper were available then I would let him go. Not a priority by any means.

Stewart Greacen - Maybe, but he never looks half the player when Shimmin is not playing beside him. Would let him go if we could get a better CB for the money.

Dominic Shimmin - Would definately keep, but he won't be here next season unfortunately

Alex Walker - Would probably keep him as a back-up, but almost certain that he is going to be let go.

Ryan McGuffie - Maybe, but probably not unless he is willing to take a wage cut. Despite being one of our better players this season, we could get a better player for the £1k a week plus that we pay him.

Iain Russell - No

Brian Graham - No

David Wittenveen - If possible either get him on loan again or on a permanent deal.

So the only out-of-contract players that I would definately keep are Stewart, Shimmin and Kane, along with possibly McWilliams, Greacen, Walker and McGuffie. The rest should all be gone imo.

As long as Finlayson goes.... seriously though.

Of the contracted players Cuthbert, McFarlane and Jenkins could go for me.

Of the out of contracts, Stewart and McGuffie must stay and i wish by Dom could stay and play with a Decent Centre half beside him..

Just bounce if you hate St Mirren

Kevin Cuthbert

Neil MacFarlane

Allan Jenkins

Kevin McKinlay

Carlo Monti

Peter Weatherson

Michael Tidser

Iain Russell - No

Brian Graham - No

Thats a bit Championship Manager though, there isn't enough decent available players out there to plug the gaps left by letting ALL our out of contract players go.

pen.jpg

i must be on my own here, but I would keep finlayson as cover for wide mid and fullback. The guy played with a bit of heart, won his tackles in the second half and set up the winner. In front of masterton, and the other chancers.

Still In Contract

Kevin Cuthbert

Stewart Greacen

Allan Jenkins

Neil MacFarlane

Michael Tidser

Peter Weatherson

The rest are out of contract and of those I'd offer new deals to Colin Stewart, Ryan McGuffie and Dominic Shimmin. I'd also try and get David Witteveen back in on loan next season depending on what other strikers are available elsewhere.

B)-->

QUOTE(C B @ May 1 2010, 07:41 PM) 738371[/snapback]
Thats a bit Championship Manager though, there isn't enough decent available players out there to plug the gaps left by letting ALL our out of contract players go.

Not really, as most of the players I am suggesting are on big wages and in letting them go we could aggressively go after better players who are out of contract at other division 1 clubs.

Mon the Ton

i must be on my own here, but I would keep finlayson as cover for wide mid and fullback. The guy played with a bit of heart, won his tackles in the second half and set up the winner. In front of masterton, and the other chancers.

He's beyond pish.

I know everyone will say 'but he puts in a shift' but so what? That's like having a useless employee who turns up 5 minutes early and leaves 5 minutes after everyone else. If he is resigned then that is the bar set for the kind of crap we'll be watching next season. Put him and us out of our misery.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

Not really, as most of the players I am suggesting are on big wages and in letting them go we could aggressively go after better players who are out of contract at other division 1 clubs.

Find ones that would want to come here???

Ok then, fill in the blanks. If you're getting rid of everyone who are you replacing them with?

pen.jpg

It's an enormous risk to completely change a squad, no matter how poorly the squad has performed.

I expect Grady will be manager again. I also expect the core of the team to be Stewart, McKinlay, Greacen, Tidser, Monti and Weatherson. I also suspect Witteveen could appear back on loan (unless someone else signs him).

I'm not sure what the future holds for Jenkins, Cuthbert or MacFarline, but they might need to stay.

McAlister will go to St Johnstone.

Shimmin will find somewhere back down south for a wage.

McGregor, Reid and maybe Finlayson and Graham will be strung along all season and wait to see if we find anyone better.

McGuffie will go to QotS, Masterton will go to Ayr.

We will make 2 loan signings (apart from Witteveen), and sign 2 cheap full time players (one from a second division team, and an SPL youth player).

We'll also sign a couple of part timers from the Juniors, and youth players might get more of a chance.

(I say all this with such certainty :lol: )

Either that or Rae will go all in for a chance at an extended SPL.

Fair enough Davie, I would not complain if he is freed and we improve on the position in the close season, but on at least three occasions in the second half he is passing our own players to win the ball/put a block in/ intercept. Guys who should have been putting the block or tackle in. In a game like today, you need players like him or keenan or bowey with desire and dig.

If its his last game, well he set up the winner, so all the best where ever you play in future.

Davie, dont think your analogy is relevant in this case. He has me tearing my hair out but im glad he was on in front of masterton and russell.

I would never gieve a player abuse or boo him based on misplacing a pass etc, but get proper p1st off by lack of desire and dig in games like today. Thought kev was one of the better players for us in the second half, along with Jenkins and McGuffie

B)-->

QUOTE(C B @ May 1 2010, 07:57 PM) 738385[/snapback]
Find ones that would want to come here???

Ok then, fill in the blanks. If you're getting rid of everyone who are you replacing them with?

Well I don't know who is out of contract with other clubs, so that is a bit difficult. But it is certain that most of the clubs in the league have the majority of their players on one year contracts. Therefore we will have plenty of potential options for replacements. I would hope that Grady has already got a list of players that he is going to look to sign by now and that we would have already started negotiations with some of them (or at the latest that he will do so this week).

Mon the Ton

Thought kev was one of the better players for us in the second half, along with Jenkins and McGuffie

You are right sir but you're wasting your time on here ^_^

pen.jpg

CB, I would rather we had Mcinnes, lindberg and mahood back in the midfield, but I know that sort of ability is not going to come easily. I love watching xavi, iniesta and messi, nothing gives me more pleasure when watching football than to see players with ability move the ball and play with one/two touches in close areas....

unfortunately we are Morton and players like Finlayson play for teams like our's.

Kevin Cuthbert

Neil MacFarlane

Allan Jenkins

Kevin McKinlay

Carlo Monti

Peter Weatherson

Michael Tidser

Iain Russell - No

Brian Graham - No

I think you will find Greacen has another year on his contract also.

Of the team that started today

Stewart: I hope he stays but I think as his contract is up and Cuthbert has another year, he will go.

McGuffie: Its an open secret he is going to Queens

Shimmin will be playing in the SPL next season

McKinlay I think will be kept

Finlayson in my opinion should be offered another contract and fortunately I think that view is shared by those who matter at Cappielow. For those who missed it, remind me how our second goal was created today? Or do you just remember his unfortunate strike off Greacen's back for Mendes' chance?

Paartalu is gone but Jenkins has another year

Tidser will be here

Monti I think will be offered a contract but not sure

Simmonds is gone

Witteveen is likely to continue on loan with us at least until Xmas.

I think Graham, McGregor, Reid and Masterton will all be released.

We are interested in a few players and have made enquires about at least two central defenders to my knowledge.

Grady will get the job for next season, like it or not.

CB, I would rather we had Mcinnes, lindberg and mahood back in the midfield, but I know that sort of ability is not going to come easily. I love watching xavi, iniesta and messi, nothing gives me more pleasure when watching football than to see players with ability move the ball and play with one/two touches in close areas....

unfortunately we are Morton and players like Finlayson play for teams like our's.

Finlayson has a complete inability to cross a ball he is meant to be a winger. I could find at least find 10 players out of contract who could replace him and could at a least cross a football into the box more than once in 10 attempts.

Lets get real here..... me makes Michael Deeney look like Ronaldo.

Just bounce if you hate St Mirren

You and me are way to sensible for this messageboard, fancy going bowling ?

pen.jpg

I think you will find Greacen has another year on his contract also.

Of the team that started today

Stewart: I hope he stays but I think as his contract is up and Cuthbert has another year, he will go.

McGuffie: Its an open secret he is going to Queens

Shimmin will be playing in the SPL next season

McKinlay I think will be kept

Finlayson in my opinion should be offered another contract and fortunately I think that view is shared by those who matter at Cappielow. For those who missed it, remind me how our second goal was created today? Or do you just remember his unfortunate strike off Greacen's back for Mendes' chance?

Paartalu is gone but Jenkins has another year

Tidser will be here

Monti I think will be offered a contract but not sure

Simmonds is gone

Witteveen is likely to continue on loan with us at least until Xmas.

I think Graham, McGregor, Reid and Masterton will all be released.

We are interested in a few players and have made enquires about at least two central defenders to my knowledge.

The player comings and goings sound realistic but being so sure about Grady getting the job doesn't really fit in with Allentons "We'll take a few weeks to think about it but we can't have another season like this".

I'd keep Graham though, still young and today showed he's a useful squad player.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

bishopton, I refer you to the second goal today AND also mcalister's inability to hit the byline and cross a ball for a number of years.

C B I live near the indoor bowls near bogston. I'll buy the beers if you bring the bowls...!

C B I live near the indoor bowls near bogston. I'll buy the beers if you bring the bowls...!

:lol: I meant...

childrens_image_1-7.jpg

...but beers go with anything so i'll see if I can find some bowls :wub:

pen.jpg

1 ) Shimmin will be playing in the SPL next season

2 ) Witteveen is likely to continue on loan with us at least until Xmas.

3 ) We are interested in a few players and have made enquires about at least two central defenders to my knowledge.

1 ) Will this be with St Johnstone or Hearts by any chance? I spoke to Gary Locke at one of the games when he was watching Witteveen and he said that he had heard good things about Shimmin and that he was impressed by his composure and reading of the game. He also said he would be interested to see how he would perform at a higher level.

Also, I heard through one of Jim McAlister's friends that St J had watched Shimmin and been impressed by him.

2 ) When I spoke to Locke he was also under the same impression, and he basically said that unless he improved dramatically he wouldn't be getting a new deal from Hearts at all.

3 ) The two mentioned on here have been Smyth and the lad from Largs Thistle. Not sure how much truth there is in either though.

Archived