Tommy Mclean - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Tommy Mclean

Madton

Indeed he conveniently got his brother Willie a job on his return from Cyprus.

Stitched us up big time whilst making sure his brother had a job to come back home to.

Regardless of his credentials how could anyone trust him not to walk out on us again.

Seem to remember he thought long and hard about staying or, going to Motherwell.

In the end he opted to go to the club with the biggest potential in his eyes. When you compare Motherwell and Morton's fortunes over the last 20 odd years he made the right choice. Don't think you can criticise anyone for trying to better themselves. Blame the board for appointing his brother.

Alex Millar on the other hand.........!!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seem to remember he thought long and hard about staying or, going to Motherwell.

In the end he opted to go to the club with the biggest potential in his eyes. When you compare Motherwell and Morton's fortunes over the last 20 odd years he made the right choice. Don't think you can criticise anyone for trying to better themselves. Blame the board for appointing his brother.

Alex Millar on the other hand.........!!!!

Too sensible a post for a Sunday afternoon.

The club will need to go through the cv's recived and create a short list, as there will be unsuitable guys there. Then interviewing them may take a while. Hopefully dunfermline don't sack mcintyre soon and attract the better candidates we have.

Good point Bryan. I think that McIntyre's coat is on a shoogly peg and if the Dunfermline job was available, there would certainly be overlap with regards to potential managerial appointments. I think the sensible thing would be to give Grady and McManus 3-4 games to see how they get on and then either make an appointment or give them the job until a review around the New Year; but like you say, we don't want to miss out on a good manager.

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

Good point Bryan. I think that McIntyre's coat is on a shoogly peg and if the Dunfermline job was available, there would certainly be overlap with regards to potential managerial appointments. I think the sensible thing would be to give Grady and McManus 3-4 games to see how they get on and then either make an appointment or give them the job until a review around the New Year; but like you say, we don't want to miss out on a good manager.

That's exactly the reason why we can't afford to give Grady 3-4 games - Rae has already said he'll take a couple of weeks over appointing the new gaffer which is fair enough but any more than that is just a bit risky.

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man"

morton4rp5.png

I think I'd be happy if we appointed Tommy McLean as manager. Despite his previous defection, he's someone I've always admired as a manager.

Getting Morton to the Premier League, winning the cup final and finishing second in the SPL with Motherwell are achievements beyond what anyone else linked with the job can boast.

The manner in which he turned Dundee United from a team fighting relegation to a third place finish in the SPL within a season impressed me too.

He's also got a strong character which could be very useful with some of the characters in the dressing room....

I think I'd be happy if we appointed Tommy McLean as manager. Despite his previous defection, he's someone I've always admired as a manager.

Getting Morton to the Premier League, winning the cup final and finishing second in the SPL with Motherwell are achievements beyond what anyone else linked with the job can boast.

The manner in which he turned Dundee United from a team fighting relegation to a third place finish in the SPL within a season impressed me too.

He's also got a strong character which could be very useful with some of the characters in the dressing room....

Agreed.

In terms of experience and success it'd be McLean for me. My first choice was Nicholl before I knew Hammy Hamster was in for it.

McLean had a habit of picking up quality, Scandinavian players during his spell with Utd. Maybe he could do that again. Remember Kjell Olofsson? ^_^

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

That's exactly the reason why we can't afford to give Grady 3-4 games - Rae has already said he'll take a couple of weeks over appointing the new gaffer which is fair enough but any more than that is just a bit risky.

Indeed. I'm not saying we should rush into an appointment, but with the Dunfermline and Dundee (maybe) jobs perhaps likely to come available soon, I don't think we can afford to dilly-dally either.

Presumably anyone who's good and wants it will have applied by now, so we should have a good idea of the 5 or 6 names who will make the final cut.

AWMSC

I'm not long back from there, am I in with a chance with Ghost as my assistant, and Sean as Director of Football per chance... :ph34r:

You ****ing mad :blink:

Those two reprebates. :lol:

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Tommy McLean was a good manager but at 62 is he getting a bit too old for the pressures involved? Also, its 12 years since he last held a managers job. That's a long time away!

It is, but it's not as if he's been out of football, he's been employed in the game for the vast majority of that period. He's been Youth Coach at Dundee Utd, "Director of Youth Development" at Rangers and is currently involved with the Scotland set up (although according to reports he could be leaving soon).

I'm not long back from there, am I in with a chance with Ghost as my assistant, and Sean as Director of Football per chance... :ph34r:

I thought we agreed to keep our talks secret.

Some sing of Celtic, Rangers

And some of Motherwell

Of Hibs and Partick Thistle

And other teams as well

But of all the famous football teams

There’s one that they’ve forgotten

With a Ra Ra Ra and a Cha Cha Cha

IT’S THE FAMOUS GREENOCK MORTON

Archived