General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 9 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

Going back to "Espanyolification", only not in the same city: Basel won the Swiss League nine seasons out of ten from 2007/08 onwards. Then in 2017/18, Young Boys won it at acanter. Now, after six games of the current campaign, Young Boys have 6 wins out of 6 and Basel are in third on exactly half their points, with even St. Gallen ahead on 10. So it's fair to say that YB are massive favorites for a second consecutive title, with Guillaume Hoarau (ex-PSG) leading the line. They've invested a bit to get there but they were also helped by a poor managerial appointment at Basel. So, after a decade of domination, CL money, and the highest attendances in the league (and thus the most gate money, and probably the most sponsorship money too) they have very little to show for it at time of writing.

Could YB, who bode their time, form a dynasty of their own?

YB have a group of death coming up in the CL, with Juve, Valencia, and Man Utd. Wonder if they can get a result at Old Trafford? It's not like it's that hard these days.

As for FCB, they fell out of the Europa League to Apollon Limassol in the playoffs, and thus miss out on glamour ties against OM, Eintract Frankfurt, and Lazio. Sad!
Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

I watched their Champions League play off against Dynamo Zagreb and thought they looked very good. I've never taken much interest in the Swiss league as it was always a one-horse race, but this looks like a significant changing of the guard. 

In terms of raising their profile outside of the Swiss game, a good Champions League result or two would go a long way towards that. 

Edited by BishopLenBrennan

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Aye, Rodger's definitely benefits from the 'the big bad board won't give me enough money' narrative more than anyone else. 

It'll be interesting to see how the new St Mirren manager gets on. There's enough dross in that league that staying up should be more than manageable, however he will need to be proactive in his recruitment in January. Stubbs seems to have signed a rather unbalanced squad that doesn't have a great deal of ability in it. 

Even before the season started, a lot of St Mirren fans were unhappy about Stubbs and his signings, seems they had him sussed from the start.

Objectively speaking, I'd like to see the new guy doing well. The media bores were all rolled out to give it the same drivel as they did about Duffy so it'd be good to see the likes of him and Johansen being successful.

• Upvote 1

AWMSC

Even before the season started, a lot of St Mirren fans were unhappy about Stubbs and his signings, seems they had him sussed from the start.

Objectively speaking, I'd like to see the new guy doing well. The media bores were all rolled out to give it the same drivel as they did about Duffy so it'd be good to see the likes of him and Johansen being successful.

Listening to 'Off the Ball' last night and Clangers was on as a guest, apparently the Fuddies had a comedian/magician/hypnotist/motivational speaker dude flown in from Ireland ahead of the Celtic game.

*insert signature here*

Listening to 'Off the Ball' last night and Clangers was on as a guest, apparently the Fuddies had a comedian/magician/hypnotist/motivational speaker dude flown in from Ireland ahead of the Celtic game.

Whatever works, I suppose. 

Edited by BishopLenBrennan

The CL is the pinnacle of football and has been for years, and anyone who doesn't like it is a ****ing weirdo. My favorite is when people say "the Champions league should be for champions :angry: " and "it was better when there were more crap teams in it :angry: ", as if anyone's on the edge of their seat for Legia Warsaw against Barcelona or Salzburg at Juventus. The format is ace - all the continent's best teams plus a fair shot for the smaller countries to get involved.

And granted, not every knockout stage has been as amazing as this year's quarters, but this is what it's all about, the world's best facing each other with sparks flying and amazing comebacks and shocks.

Having just watched Liverpool-PSG, this is even more true than before. Klopp has turned Liverpool into an amazing team to watch, and this is one of those beautiful matches where either team could have won but the one who did deserved it, if that makes sense. The CL is absolutely brilliant, by far the best tournament in the history of the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

And of course I didn't watch it but the Marcelo Bielsa juggernaut rolls along at Elland Road, with Leeds horsing Preston 3-0 to go three points clear at the top, Brentford dropping two away at Ipswich. Could Leeds finally make it back to the top flight?

EOho8Pw.png

Having just watched Liverpool-PSG, this is even more true than before. Klopp has turned Liverpool into an amazing team to watch, and this is one of those beautiful matches where either team could have won but the one who did deserved it, if that makes sense. The CL is absolutely brilliant, by far the best tournament in the history of the game.

I thought the game was surprisingly poor. Both teams struggled to retain possession and were sloppy in defence. Enjoyable enough to watch but both teams well below their best

• Upvote 1

All this silky skill from world class players is all very well, but it's pretty shite without the Harry Dunn's getting their arses handed back to them all the time.

Scotland deserves automatic qualification to the group stages for this reason alone.

*insert signature here*

I thought the game was surprisingly poor. Both teams struggled to retain possession and were sloppy in defence. Enjoyable enough to watch but both teams well below their best

The winning goal alone was worth the watch, that was glorious in quality.

All this silky skill from world class players is all very well, but it's pretty s***e without the Harry Dunn's getting their arses handed back to them all the time.

Scotland deserves automatic qualification to the group stages for this reason alone.

Europa League isThursday, we could potentially see both of them losing.

EOho8Pw.png

The winning goal alone was worth the watch, that was glorious in quality.

Europa League isThursday, we could potentially see both of them losing.

The Europa League doesn't even begin to give this shower the exposure that they deserve.

*insert signature here*

And of course I didn't watch it but the Marcelo Bielsa juggernaut rolls along at Elland Road, with Leeds horsing Preston 3-0 to go three points clear at the top, Brentford dropping two away at Ipswich. Could Leeds finally make it back to the top flight?

The only hope of preventing this travesty is Bielsa falling out with someone and rage quitting as he has so many times before.

I realise that's why he's ended up there, but it's still crazy that a manager of his calibre has had to drop to that level in the first place.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Agreed with this. Thought it was a poor game quality and entertainment wise, and the scoreline papered over that.

PSG were absolutely shocking. Tuchel is a bald fraud.

The only hope of preventing this travesty is Bielsa falling out with someone and rage quitting as he has so many times before.

It's a 46-game league campaign and Bielsa's teams are normally breathing out of their arse in the second half of the season due to his style of play. Let's see how they're looking in February. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Another evening of utter humiliation for the pointless bin of western Europe known as 'Belgium' after Anderlecht got SWORDED by Spartak Trnava in the hosts' first ever group stage match: 

https://goals2.matchat.online/embed/Y8MBn9Qe5b

Disband Belgian football and the fake country that it comes from while we're at it. Sad!

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

OH Leuven are bottom of the 'First Division B', too. Their highly-renowed (in Leuven) loyal support has disappeared like snow off a dike. The big local derby* with Roeselare is tomorrow. That'll be a thrilling encounter. Probably.

*I assume, not checking a map

EOho8Pw.png