Ticket prices. - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ticket prices.

Alibi

When I first went to Cappielow in 1963, it cost 4/- for an adult to get into the main stand. That’s 20p (terracing tickets were cheaper),  If you work out what the equivalent amount is nowadays taking inflation into account, it’s roughly £11.  A ticket now costs £22. Somewhere over the last 60 years, the cost of going to a football match has doubled in real terms.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 hours ago, bob_the_builder said:

It would be interesting to know how much the cost of running a football club has risen since then.  I'd wager its more than doubled.

Since 1963, prices have risen by a factor of about 28, so I'd suggest that the cost of running a football club now should be about 28 times what it was then, but  probably it's a higher multiplier due to additional costs for stuff that wan't needed in 1963.  It's difficult to do a like for like comparison as football has changed almost beyond recognition over that period.  Grounds now have to comply with the Green Guide and the cost of the safety improvements involved is fairly significant. I'd imagine players' wages have increased a lot in real terms as most players were on a pittance in those days.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

11 hours ago, Alibi said:

When I first went to Cappielow in 1963, it cost 4/- for an adult to get into the main stand. That’s 20p (terracing tickets were cheaper),  If you work out what the equivalent amount is nowadays taking inflation into account, it’s roughly £11.  A ticket now costs £22. Somewhere over the last 60 years, the cost of going to a football match has doubled in real terms.

£27 at Tannadice this season.

TWENTY. SEVEN.

Another factor is there's more full-timers now and without the "scrapheap" and with Bosman there's more competition for wages.

Purely selfishly Bosman was terrible for clubs like ours but it was the right decision, decades overdue in fact.

EOho8Pw.png

I think Scottish football is relatively expensive compared to most of Europe. For example, you can get a ticket for a Jupiler League game at OH Leuven starting from about 20 Euros, for the cheap seats, or about 17 of your English pounds. Even a decent seat is only about 25 Euros, or about 21 pounds. However, there are multiple bars dotted around the stadium that are open throughout the match, and a couple of hours before and after it. After the match they're always packed,so the difference in ticket prices are probably more than made up for in beer sales.  

13 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

I fail to understand the objective of your initial post, when two posts later you're saying you understand the reasons for it being at it's at its current level. What's your point, exactly?

I remembered my first games at Cappielow & just wanted to know how the real cost compared to now. I was surprised at the amount it has increased relative to the overall cost of living.

8 hours ago, Alibi said:

I remembered my first games at Cappielow & just wanted to know how the real cost compared to now. I was surprised at the amount it has increased relative to the overall cost of living.

Fair enough so. I guess the points you’ve raised about wages, legislation etc. all have a part to play. Plus astronomical energy costs, plus plus plus. Twenty-two quid is still good value for an afternoon out though. Especially when we win 

23 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

I fail to understand the objective of your initial post, when two posts later you're saying you understand the reasons for it being at it's at its current level. What's your point, exactly?

It is possible to both understand the increased costs of running football whilst also questioning if the continued increased costs of tickets has happened at a greater rate and whether it is reaching breaking point for the consumer.

Pretty sure there was a campaign amongst some Premiership fans to try to cap prices at £20. Championship is sailing above that.

If it hasn't happened already, I think the £27 at Tannadice may be the first time a number of fans say nah, sack that.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

It is possible to both understand the increased costs of running football whilst also questioning if the continued increased costs of tickets has happened at a greater rate and whether it is reaching breaking point for the consumer.

Pretty sure there was a campaign amongst some Premiership fans to try to cap prices at £20. Championship is sailing above that.

If it hasn't happened already, I think the £27 at Tannadice may be the first time a number of fans say nah, sack that.

The thing with the £20 cap on away tickets in the top flight that gets to me is that the only clubs who aren’t taking a significant hit are the big clubs, and Rangers and Celtic in particular. They give about 1.5% of their respective capacities to away fans.

Say for argument’s sake the average adult walk up price in the Premiership is £30, but a concession of a tenner is made for away fans, that’s going to have far more impact on clubs like Livingston and St. Johnstone than it is for Rangers and Celtic. It’s not really good enough to just say “well, stop giving the Old Firm so many tickets” when their hands are tied by having relatively small supports (something that would also inflict us if we were ever to go up). If Livingston are cutting a tenner off an average of 6000 away fans for say, 6 home games against the four big clubs from Glasgow and Edinburgh (allowing for the split to mean it’s not an exact calculation) that’s £360,000 being written off.

If Rangers or Celtic are writing off a tenner a head for say, 600 away fans over six home games, that’s £36,000- a tenth of the hit Livingston are taking when they already have a significant financial advantage over them anyway.

TLDR- If you’re going to introduce price caps, make sure it’s across the board, not just for away fans. That’s shite.

Archived