Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (1st October) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (1st October)

Admin

The lack of depth is only going to get worse as we get into winter and injuries start piling up.

Totally understand that we can't just spunk money we don't have but there has to be a middle ground somewhere. If we're running a full time squad, we need to staff it effectively. That means a good few more players than we have now.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's disappointed me the most this season is how the team have totally changed their approach and style under Dougie. When he came in we were horrible to play against. Pressing all over the pitch, in your face and there was an intensity and drive. It seemed to tail off once we secured our league status and unfortunately it's carried forward into this season. 

With the personnel we have ( once all available) perhaps its worth considering returning to a 5-3-2. Make us hard to beat again and difficult to play against. That could look like:

Schwake

Pignatello  lithgow O'connor baird strapp

Gillespie  Crawford grimshaw

Quitongo Muirhead

The obvious weakness again is the lack of creativity and goals.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Wasn’t expecting anything from that game with our central defence weakened and Quitongo suspended, but we seem to have shown the lack of basic skills all over the park yesterday. In previous games I have seen a lack of a basic first touch from most of our players, inability to pass to a team mate, and lots of hoofing the ball aimlessly. It’s probably down to money, but we seem to have a lot of players who really shouldn’t be playing at this level. Blues in particular, despite having improved, has now reverted to a waste of a jersey but seems undroppable.

I do think we need to consider some part time players and a hybrid model as having a full time squad is limiting us significantly. We end up with dross. We also need to sort the rate of red and yellow cards we are getting as we soon won’t be able to put 11 players in our starting line up at the rate we’re going.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

8 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

What's disappointed me the most this season is how the team have totally changed their approach and style under Dougie. When he came in we were horrible to play against. Pressing all over the pitch, in your face and there was an intensity and drive.

This ^^^^^^^ Couldn't agree more. It's like somebody tipped a bucket of water on the fire.

11 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

What's disappointed me the most this season is how the team have totally changed their approach and style under Dougie. When he came in we were horrible to play against. Pressing all over the pitch, in your face and there was an intensity and drive. It seemed to tail off once we secured our league status and unfortunately it's carried forward into this season. 

With the personnel we have ( once all available) perhaps its worth considering returning to a 5-3-2. Make us hard to beat again and difficult to play against. That could look like:

Schwake

Pignatello  lithgow O'connor baird strapp

Gillespie  Crawford grimshaw

Quitongo Muirhead

The obvious weakness again is the lack of creativity and goals.

It was always his plan to revert from the formation he adapted when he initially came in. He's said as much several times.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Three of the four defenders who started on Saturday have already been dropped this season for failing to do their jobs properly, particularly from set pieces. This was a big issue again on Saturday. Pignatiello and O'Connor being the two who were particularly at fault against Partick. There are plenty of others who should also take responsibility for the performance, but Pignatiello was poor at defending cross balls at two goals and O'Connor's defending at 3 or 4 of those goals (I'd argue 4) is really poor. I've been really concerned by O'Connor's performances this season, he has really struggled to look solid so far. 

16 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

It was always his plan to revert from the formation he adapted when he initially came in. He's said as much several times.

Yeah I know this but 433 isn't working at all.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Not sure why we didn't operate with the 4-2-3-1 that we seemed to have used against Ayr. Muirhead ain't great but he could at least hold the ball up now and then on his own. A lot more balanced too.

If we could afford to lose a player I'd be sending Kabia back immediately. From day one I thought he was poor and I'm glad everyone is starting to see it. 

I don't think he's not went down injured in the first half of any game he has started in? Not the hard working type you would expect Imrie to bring in.

1 hour ago, ChampTon said:

Not sure why we didn't operate with the 4-2-3-1 that we seemed to have used against Ayr. Muirhead ain't great but he could at least hold the ball up now and then on his own. A lot more balanced too.

If we could afford to lose a player I'd be sending Kabia back immediately. From day one I thought he was poor and I'm glad everyone is starting to see it. 

I don't think he's not went down injured in the first half of any game he has started in? Not the hard working type you would expect Imrie to bring in.

Sussing out that Kabia was a sand dancing waste of a jersey hardly makes you the next Pep Guardiola, hate to break it to you.

Archived